Outside kitchens - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2016, 05:18 PM   #1

Name: Kate
Trailer: Shopping
USA
Outside kitchens

Hello there..total newbie here looking for a camper. I am really interested in a scamp type camper. However I really like the idea of cooking outside. I have searched and searched but have been unable to find a scamp type camper that has a teardrop type outdoor kitchen. The closest I have found is the happier camper, but that isn't really what I had in mind. Does such a thing exist? I believe Oliver may make something, but I have a minivan and that doesn't allow us to tow. Thanks for any guidance you can provide!
KateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:29 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Never heard of any brand of glass trailer with a permanent outside kitchen setup. We just cook on the campsite table with a Weber grill.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:16 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateP View Post
Hello there..total newbie here looking for a camper. I am really interested in a scamp type camper. However I really like the idea of cooking outside. I have searched and searched but have been unable to find a scamp type camper that has a teardrop type outdoor kitchen. The closest I have found is the happier camper, but that isn't really what I had in mind. Does such a thing exist? I believe Oliver may make something, but I have a minivan and that doesn't allow us to tow. Thanks for any guidance you can provide!
The closest your going to get in a fiberglass trailer is the HC1 .
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:30 PM   #4

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
There are some fiberglass teardrops but generally not the ones with stand-up room.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:11 PM   #5

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
If you get a tow vehicle with a hatch back you could modify the hatchback to have a kitchen. Many of the vans available for rent for camping do this. See the Escape Campervans website. 2 Berth Campervan Rentals USA

We mostly cook outside but are glad to have the indoor kitchen for times when the weather is inclement.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:00 PM   #6

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
We have a Trillium and cook outside all the time. Sometimes on the camp table, sometimes (rain!) on a couple of small folding tables under the awning. The back of our Honda Element holds all our cooking 'bits and pieces' - pots, dishes, honey, bbq sauce, condiments etc. the fridge inside holds the milk, cheese etc.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
We had the manufacturers of the Genesis here as members about 8 years ago. It's precisely what you're looking for. It would be a difficult one to find used, but you can always hope!

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...5-a-39220.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...sis-28282.html
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:36 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
One of the links lists the dry weight of the Genesis at 2860 pounds! That's more than a Casita 17! The wide, tall, boxy profile doesn't appear very aerodynamic, either. And all for the privilege of cooking outside. It just doesn't add up for me.

Seems to me the large shell opening required for a built-in exterior kitchen adds a fair bit of weight, complexity, and leak potential to a molded fiberglass trailer, negating some of the primary design advantages.

My trusty old Coleman stove takes a minute or two to set up and only adds perhaps 15 pounds to my Scamp 13. And I still have an inside galley as back-up on a bad weather day.

Back of the van? Only if bacon and eggs appeals to you as an air freshener scent!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:22 AM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I think one model of the T@b trailers has the outside kitchen, but it's not a molded fiberglass camper. We have one of those folding camp kitchen tables we use under our awning or a EZ up type canopy. Grill on top, toaster oven on bottom shelf, cooking utensils in a plastic tub on one shelf. Tub is secured to the shelf and has a latching lid so critters can't get in it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:07 PM   #10

Name: David
Trailer: Researching
North Carolina
Chuck Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
...We just cook on the campsite table with a Weber grill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
...My trusty old Coleman stove takes a minute or two to set up and only adds perhaps 15 pounds to my Scamp 13.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
...We have one of those folding camp kitchen tables we use under our awning or a EZ up type canopy. Grill on top, toaster oven on bottom shelf, cooking utensils in a plastic tub on one shelf. Tub is secured to the shelf and has a latching lid so critters can't get in it.
Hi Kate,

I'm a tent camper looking at Fiberglass trailers. And agree with the above thoughts.

My camp kitchen, includes a chuck box (cooking utensils and various cooking and clean up supplies) and Coleman two burner stove. I have a 20lb propane tank with attached propane tree, supplies my kitchen and a lantern. Portable folding table, and usually picnic tables at camp site, provide the kitchen counter space. Various coolers.

I often find when cooking a meal, the main course requires just a few of the items in my camp kitchen. It's nice to have the entire camp kitchen, for all the meals, but when cooking one meal - the entire camp kitchen is not needed.

So my thought on Fiberglass trailers (looking at Scamp) - what's in the chuck box will go in the trailer. Maybe some of the coolers in the trailer, some in the tow vehicle or under out side tables. The propane tank will be attached to the trailer. I too like using a Weber table top charcoal grill. Cooking will be done outside on a table, pulling just a few items from the trailer that is needed - for that meal.

Basically, the trailer becomes my chuck box
BBQdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:47 PM   #11

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: TrailsWest
Washington
When I had a pop-up camper, it had a rail on the outside along with a place you could plug in the stove so you could easily move the stove (which had a matching rail) from inside to outside. The rail was conveniently located near the door under the awning.

I noticed that my Campster has a similar rail on the side so it's likely that a previous owner did something similar. No gas fitting or matching rail though. It would be a nice place for a table if you were boondocking where you didn't have a picnic table.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:12 AM   #12

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Gilda sad news I sold my escape and now I see this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
If you get a tow vehicle with a hatch back you could modify the hatchback to have a kitchen. Many of the vans available for rent for camping do this. See the Escape Campervans website. 2 Berth Campervan Rentals USA

We mostly cook outside but are glad to have the indoor kitchen for times when the weather is inclement.
:if I had seen this 2 months ago we still would have our escape but no my wife wanted a flat tow 5 passenger Flat tow vehicle so we sold the nice 2012 Ford Escape with lifting back door for a side opening rear door 2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4wd, u need the 4 wd and a non CVT transmission tobe able to tow and the Escape could not do this. Our Little Kar X90 seats only two but is nice and light 2400#'s where as the new 2010 weighs in at 3700#'s going to have a drop in mpg on the Tow Vehicle.
I Like how that set up works in the Escape and I wonder if it could be done in a Toyota Matrix for my sister in law to take short weekend trips????
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote