Outside Outlet, Extra Lights and Bike Rack Questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-19-2008, 07:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 16 ft Scamp
Do you have the outlet?
Do you use it often?
How many extra lights do they add?
Where do they put them?
Have you had any problems with the Bike Rack being too heavy on the back of the 16? We want to do 4 bikes.

Ordering tomorrow!
RachelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1984
We have a table rail on the outside and we put a table there with with a camp stove for most of our cooking. Just below is a weatherproof 110v outlet that we can use for a tea kettle or electric frypan when we camp with hydro.
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0016_01.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	13960
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:17 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Do you have the outlet?

Yes. a 15 amp duplex

Do you use it often?

It gets used more for power tools when I am working on the outside of the trailer, but it also gets used when I can put up "Stupid Awning Lights" when there is AC and enough staying time to justify it

At the outlet? Or are you talking about permanent fixtures?

Where do they put them?

If talking about lights strings, I stow mine in tupperwear containers (To avoid breaking) and those go in a cubby for hardly ever used items

If you are buying new, definately get the outlets. It's easier and cheaper to get it done now than to add them later.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:37 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:

At the outlet? Or are you talking about permanent fixtures?

Where do they put them?
I think she is asking about permanent fixtures... inside...
Old 06-19-2008, 09:14 PM   #5
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Who is "they?" Scamp? Casita? Oliver? Escape? Bigfoot? Little Joe? (Did I leave anybody out?)

An outlet outside is useful, although if you don't have it you can probably run an extension cord to the power pole at the campsite. (There's usually an extra outlet there for just that sort of thing.) I'm like Gina, though; it's very handy to have the exterior outlet on the trailer, for plugging in the "party lights" that you string around on your awning.

Our Casita has an outside light by the door, and another up front, which IS helpful for checking the propane and hitch. It sounds like you should ask your salesman for clarification about which lights are included as "extra" in the package you are trying to decide about ordering.

Congrats on taking the plunge!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe (a true 'Dream House'!)
Rachel,
Extra lights can be very useful. Ask Scamp where they can be mounted in your particular model.
The outside outlet is great for "stupid awning lights" which were my second trailer trash purchase; right after the little step stool so I could reach the stupid awning!

I feel uneasy with the idea of (4!) bikes on the back bumper. Many people have had problems with sway from that arrangement.
We have traveled with bikes inside the trailer and we have used a bike rack on the back of the tow. There is enough clearance for 2 adult bikes there. You might want to do a search for bike rack discussions. Lots of good info available here!

Congratulations on getting a Scamp. I've had mine for four years. It is, without a doubt, the best toy I've ever had!

Post pictures!!!!
Lorene W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
[quote]We have a table rail on the outside and we put a table there
Attachment 13960

I always thought that would only work on a level site till I seen how your leg adjusts. Great idea!
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 2008 16 ft Scamp
We are getting a Scamp. 16 foot

The 4 bikes would be later on as the girls are 3 months and 2 years now, but wanted to know if it would even be possible (ieorth the $75...I like our sales guy, but his job is to sell it to me so I wanted some other input too.)

Yes, we are thinking of getting the extra outlet outside and extra light fixtures inside as I believe it only comes with the 2 over the table and the one by the sink. I don't remember at the moment and they won't be open yet and I am antsy.
RachelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:35 AM   #9
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Ahh, okay. I don't know much about Scamp - just things I've read here - but I recommend getting the extra interior lights. You won't ever have them all on at the same time, but you'll find them useful. (The Casita has bunches of them, and it's nice to be able to turn on the one in the corner and turn off the one near the sink, etc.) You can have light more nearly where you need it, when you need it.

Heck, I wish my Casita had one more, near the cabinet above the mickeywave...

I echo Lorene's opinion about the bike rack on the back bumper. I'd rather have that "extra weight" (of the bikes) on the front of the trailer or the back of the tow vehicle... or even the front of the tow vehicle, although admittedly it's a little odd running down the road with your bikes in front of you! (My dad's old van had a front bike rack.)

Congrats on taking the plunge, whatever options you decide to go with...
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:38 AM   #10

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I'd definitely get the outside outlet, we've used it a ton.
I work outside a lot with the laptop plugged in there. We set up the DVD player on a table there and make a mini movie theater for the kids to watch a movie and invite their campground friends. Our living space is our 10x10 awning which I refer to as our slideout and to not have the power easily available in the living room would be a negative for us.

Good luck on getting your Scamp ordered and keep us posted on the progress.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:28 PM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Our living space is our 10x10 awning which I refer to as our slideout
I like that expression. In reality it is a slide out. Don't know about you, but I have to slide mine out the door before I use it.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:56 AM   #12

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
We use our outside outlet more than any inside outlet.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:17 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi, Rachel & Family, and congratulations on your masterful decision to become "Scamp-addicts" !!!

We've had our '93 Scamp 13 for 5 yrs now - we are the 3rd owners, but it looked & felt 'barely used' and we agree it IS THE best toy we've ever had! Our thoughts:

OUTSIDE OUTLET - YES! We don't have one, and have run an extension to the power post when needed, but it would be lovely to have one.

EXTRA LIGHTS (interior) - Get 'em! our rig had only the 2 12-volt and one fluorescent. When we visited the factory last year for some upgrades, we added in the center on the overhead cabinet (also added) for better lighting in the dinette. Also added o'head storage w/light at the front, but that might not work well when you are using the bunks for your gals.

BIKES - no experience here, but I personally would make other arrangements & not carry them behind the trailer.

OTHER STUFF -

1. You will be happy if you choose the silverware drawer option - I love it.

2. From another Scamp owner, we learned you can have a door added to the 'slanted' end of the dinette bench (or benches) - this is WONDERFUL as you can access the fresh-water valve, the electrical side and any other stored stuff without struggling with the hatch covers. This works especially well for us, as we leave the bed set up all the time.

3. If you choose to add a 'porch light', be sure it has a switch you can operate from INSIDE the trailer ... so you don't have to open the door to see who/what is outside.

4. Our Egg has no 12-volt outlet inside (we will add one when we get "a roundtuit" - you might consider this option too.l

Hope this helps. We wish you safe travels and many, many happy memories. We have special friends in Denison & Plymouth, so perhaps our travel paths will cross one day. Take care, L 'n D
Old 06-21-2008, 12:05 PM   #14

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Casita
I love my outside outlet. I use it a lot. I use it for cooking outside. It's great to put a crockpot out there. Or even cook breakfast or lunch in an electric skillet. I don't cook much except coffee inside. A coffeepot outside is also nice. But not quite as convenient first thing in the morning. I have a Casita and have a lot of lights, but I feel like you can never have too many.
Kathy Davisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:32 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Bike rack -- we used a three-bike rack on the back of the Boler for our big long camping trip (seven weeks) a few years ago. We travelled from the mountains of BC to the prairies and back again.

The only problem we had was in "flat" Saskatchewan! We chose to take an old, weathered highway instead of the TransCanada, and it had numerous pot-holes. "Washboard" road conditions.

So when we reached our next overnight, we saw the outer-most bike had bounced along on the rough pavement, and had a flat tire, no rim damage. We had been packing the kid-bike closest to Boler, then mom bike, then dad bike (the biggest/lowest.)

We then started to pack them in the reverse order: big dad bike closest to Boler, then mom bike, then small kid bike outermost. Solved the problem, any small dips in road did not affect little bike.

Congratulations! Enjoy!

Char
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:11 PM   #16

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I added 3 extra lights to my Fiber Stream, and this was after a previous owner added 1. I tend to use the lights in the new locations more than the original factory locations.

We don't have an "Official" Outside Outlet... but we open the lower fridge vent and use the outlet in there as if it were "Outside".

Our trailer's frame is too flimsy to even consider adding a bike rack to the back.

Tags
lighting, lights