Oven in Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
dch

Name: Brian
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Minnesota
Oven in Scamp

Hello,

I'm wondering if a three burner stove and oven can be retrofitted to a 16' deluxe Scamp. Also, anyone have any comments about the oven in a Scamp? I just think it would be kind of fun to have that available.

Thanks for you help,

Diane in MN
dch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:56 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Not being a Scamp owner, I don't know how much room you have available for installing a built-in stove/oven unit, but many of us just use a portable toaster oven which doesn't require modifying your cabinetry. Just offering an alternative.
Attached Thumbnails
New Convection Oven.JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:58 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It's an option on some versions. I don't think it will fit on side dinette layouts- galley is too small.

As to whether it's a good idea- depends on what you like to cook, I guess. If you camp with electric hookups, a microwave or toaster oven will serve instead for many functions. If you camp in warm temps, you may not like how much heat it adds to the interior.

I've never had an oven when camping to know how much I would actually use it. It did live full-time in a travel trailer with an oven for four years and used it once or twice a week. The oven was too small for some things, like baking a ham or turkey or even a large pizza. It was good for fresh muffins and biscuits, a meatloaf, or a pie.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:13 PM   #4

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
There's always the solar oven option! No hookups needed...
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:40 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Or Dutch oven or Coleman stovetop oven or... Lots of options for camp baking with or without power.

But for frequent use while on the road for long trips or snowbirding, I can see the appeal of a conventional oven (always ready and no hook-ups required).

I'm curious... The oven in my old travel trailer had a pilot light. Should I assume new ones have electronic ignition?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 16 ft Scamp
Oven

Our first 16 Scamp (side dinette) did not have an oven. SO we carried a Coleman stove top oven. Our 2005 19 has one and we use it alot... biscuits, muffins,etc.... it is a manual lite pilot light though.
Hope that helps
Darrin
Darrin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:04 PM   #7

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
I use a vintage Westbend (or Stanley) ovenette on my Coleman stove. It works great and it sure turns a lot of heads!
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:39 PM   #8

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Or Dutch oven or Coleman stovetop oven or... Lots of options for camp baking with or without power.

But for frequent use while on the road for long trips or snowbirding, I can see the appeal of a conventional oven (always ready and no hook-ups required).

I'm curious... The oven in my old travel trailer had a pilot light. Should I assume new ones have electronic ignition?
Do not assume. No the newer ones do not have an electronic ignition as far as I have found. Our motorhome that we had used a pilot light. Maybe it's a safety issue in an RV. We do miss having an oven in our Casita and our small motorhome so we carry a toaster/convection oven but of course you have to have electric. Next RV will have an oven for me. You don't use one a lot but if you like to bake things it's a must.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:32 PM   #9

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin S View Post
Our first 16 Scamp (side dinette) did not have an oven. SO we carried a Coleman stove top oven. Our 2005 19 has one and we use it alot... biscuits, muffins,etc.... it is a manual lite pilot light though.
Hope that helps
Darrin
Our 19D has the three burner top with oven combination. We use it a good bit. I think it is a reasonably good option.
(The oven door used to open when traveling and half fall of, bending one of the hinges. I rigged up a strap across the door to keep it closed, and also a means to keep the top cover and grate in place.)
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:54 PM   #10

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Jon even in our added to oven Motor Home it is a light it pilot light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

:still no electric ovens that I'm aware of. Ovens come in two sizes 17" and 21" deep, we had to go with the 17" first remove the 3 burner stove and then make space for oven as under it all is the HWH then put it all back together, have our RV guy check our propane hook ups and make sure not leaks worth the weight in gold to have oven for Pizza, Muffins, Fresh Bread etc. as my wife is Non-Gluten or Gluten Free. Now I'm lucky in one way I can still have wheat but I have to buy no sugar every thing and add the after market crap. Probably get Dementia from the use of it before those who use sugar.
Major problem is to make sure the pilot light is level and not sloped or it will never light.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:55 PM   #11

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
When we ordered our 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, we thought about whether we should get the oven option. I put my question on the forum and Donna said "get it". (She loves freshly baked chocolate cookies.) I was worried about losing storage space but someone pointed out that the oven can be used for storage when not in use. We ordered it and we love it. We store all our pots and pans in it.
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:59 PM   #12

British Columbia
Casita Greg, we tried on these b4 the oven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Not being a Scamp owner, I don't know how much room you have available for installing a built-in stove/oven unit, but many of us just use a portable toaster oven which doesn't require modifying your cabinetry. Just offering an alternative.
Big problem was the heat it transferred s they get might hot and if bothered us as only place to put it was not good.
so we opted for the oven which worked way better in the spot we had.
stude
Old 02-06-2017, 06:33 AM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
Big problem was the heat it transferred s they get might hot and if bothered us as only place to put it was not good.
so we opted for the oven which worked way better in the spot we had.
stude
Ahh......the old oven question. Just as a general observation, it seems people either bake frequently and love them, or the find them totally useless. Never seems to be any middle ground opinions in any oven thread. Really a personal decision. We don't have one because we are just as happy buying baked goods when we are RVing and spend the time and effort that baking would take on other activities. As far as having an oven in a small trailer, I cannot say YMMV, because everyone's mileage WILL vary.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:02 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Here's my option that I've used since we brought our new 2010 Scamp home from the factory. This is the LOWEST price I've ever seen on a toaster oven. I own 2 of these- one in the Scamp and one I use here at work.

We have a large front closet in our 13' Scamp with the bathroom. It fits neatly in the bottom portion without taking up much room. When we set up camp, I set it out on my alum. folding table right under our awning and that's where it stays til we break camp. If it's raining, it's easy to move and takes up little room in the Scamp while we cook. Personally, I wouldnt have anything else- BUT- I am NOT a "propane gas" man and took it off the Scamp.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...White/54514797
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:25 AM   #15

Washington
Registry
Too small and not very well rated either, but for $11.00, all I can say is you get what you pay for.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:49 AM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
All I can say is that I own 2 of them with NO problems (7 yrs with the Scamp's one) and it works better than most of the larger ones we've owned including ALL of the Black & Deckers. I'm speaking from "experience" and not from "hear say" reviews.

Too small? Being in a 13' Scamp and getting equipment large enough to cook Thanksgiving dinners doesnt appeal to us. For us this oven is perfect and you will NOT beat the price.

I got MORE than I paid for. (Enjoy your over-priced behemoths CG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Too small and not very well rated either, but for $11.00, all I can say is you get what you pay for.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:54 AM   #17

Washington
Registry
I don't like the Black & Decker ones either. Hey, if they work for you and you're happy with them, great. I like one big enough, (like my Cuisinart,) that permits me to use a 1/4 sheet pan and also has good vertical clearance inside so my food fits without the need for a shoehorn. And FWIW, I do enjoy my over-priced behemoth.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:39 PM   #18

British Columbia
Big problem there are not bakeries where we go so we do our own,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Ahh......the old oven question. Just as a general observation, it seems people either bake frequently and love them, or the find them totally useless. Never seems to be any middle ground opinions in any oven thread. Really a personal decision. We don't have one because we are just as happy buying baked goods when we are RVing and spend the time and effort that baking would take on other activities. As far as having an oven in a small trailer, I cannot say YMMV, because everyone's mileage WILL vary.
:
: we camp off grid, places we go are some far off lake, or back road, no people places to fish, sit back read a good book, sleep, just plain old relax and enjoy the time away from people, bosses who are to young to know what life is about yet.
Stude
Old 02-06-2017, 04:45 PM   #19

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
We passed on the oven due to price, weight and the fact that it seems we would never have any time to use it. We run around seeing and doing all day most days. We have a standard 110 exterior outlet on passenger side and we added another 110 on the back. We can take our toaster oven if we want and use it outside.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:05 PM   #20

British Columbia
Cathi, not everyone plugs in when traveling around the country

big problem today is the price of a Campground compared to my pension, they do not come close to me spending that kind of money. I can do way more with solar, Gen Set, and Propane and park some where free (boondock) rather than pay more than $25 a day just to dump my tanks, have power, and possible a bigger shower stall than the one we have on board. For every place I get free it goes into the Propane tank or Gas Tank, letting us spend more time other than cooped up in an apartment.
Stude

Tags
scamp