Over the weekend... - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-07-2015, 08:06 AM   #43

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
John,

We also have an IR Thermometer. Ginny's fairly cautious so sometimes Ginny rides in the trailer. To facilitate IR readings we've cut holes thru the trailer floor over the tires so she can take readings more conveniently.

Seriously the temperature sensors show change well. WHat we're really looking for is unbalanced temperature from side to side. Similarly with pressure. We normally have our tires at maximum pressure (50psi) and when driving they often creep to 55 psi.

Temperature is very dependent on outside temperature. We're early drivers, usually starting off between 8-9 AM and usually stopping before noon, avoiding the heat of any day.

I know of the tire debates. Our experience has been great. Since we started towing a trailer, we have had no trailer tire failures.

When we drove a motorhome we had many failures and we always had fresh tires and were always under ratings. Those were failure, blowout prone Michelins.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:30 AM   #44

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Henning View Post
...tires don't change physics - only duct tape can do that.
Made me chuckle, Paul, and a welcome respite in an overheated conversation. Thanks!

Old 08-07-2015, 10:13 AM   #45
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
We ran low profile car tires on our race trailer for about a dozen years, [not an endorsement]they looked nice and they gave us a better angle of approach and a lowered fender for loading and unloading the car. My driver paid little attention to speed limits on or off the track. We never had a trailer tire problem.
There was an interesting post not long ago where, in the interest of science, they were test towing trailers at 100MPH.

To do this they put high performance, low profile P rated tires on the triple axle trailer to do the test. The report stated the ride was stable. Note the TV was a late model Cadillac sedan.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:20 AM   #46

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
At what temperature should I begin to worry? I have an IR thermometer that I pull out at gas stops during warm weather trips. Never seems to read over 110 degree F. In cool weather I'm usually too lazy to check much.

Also, I have asked my DW to climb out the window to get a reading at speed, but she seems reluctant. Any tips to increase her enthusiasm? ;-)

John
Eat garlic, don't shower,pass gas, or any combination of the above?
Old 08-07-2015, 11:15 AM   #47

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
There was an interesting post not long ago where, in the interest of science, they were test towing trailers at 100MPH.

To do this they put high performance, low profile P rated tires on the triple axle trailer to do the test. The report stated the ride was stable. Note the TV was a late model Cadillac sedan.
If you've ever seen a Yoky racing tire you would have seen real stiff sidewalls. I put them on my daughter's Festiva, she had a flat and drove home without knowing it. It barely appeared to be a few pounds low on air!
I religiously run the best trailer tire I can find on my Scamp13, but part of the reason might be just to make her feel like a real travel trailer!
Old 08-07-2015, 12:18 PM   #48
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
If you've ever seen a Yoky racing tire you would have seen real stiff sidewalls. I put them on my daughter's Festiva, she had a flat and drove home without knowing it. It barely appeared to be a few pounds low on air!
I religiously run the best trailer tire I can find on my Scamp13, but part of the reason might be just to make her feel like a real travel trailer!
I was impressed with a set of Yoko's on our TV too a few years back. On the trailer we used Michelins and after 9 years of use I am trying Hankook XL's. The Hankooks were a slightly lighter tire and needed a few pounds more air to get them to track as good as the Michelins.
Attached Thumbnails
tires yoko g 35 MG_521655r.jpg  
Old 08-07-2015, 02:00 PM   #49

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Drive through the Golden State some day, it is heavily posted for all vehicles towing
- 55 MPH - on almost every speed limit sign, of which there are many. This include all semi's, all towed RV's and all RV's towing a Tow'd and anything else that is towing anything else.
and you have to stay in the right 2 lanes on the freeway.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:18 PM   #50

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
and you have to stay in the right 2 lanes on the freeway.
…which works fine, except when there are only two lanes! How many times have I seen a semi (or RV) going 57 mph laboring to pass another semi (or RV) going 55 mph, gathering a convey of impatient passenger vehicles anxious to return to the regular posted speed limit.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:28 PM   #51

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
We rarely go over 57, sometimes up to 60. We have ridiculously small tires on our 2012 egg - 13"! No way I could ever go bigger without hiring a corvette shop to enlarge the ridiculously small wheel wells!

I've given some thought to raising the trailer, but even if I went to a bigger diameter tire, I would drive the same speed. It would just make me feel more comfortable. I had 15" radial trailer tires on our boat trailer!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:35 PM   #52

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I have seen places in CA posted to limit lanes for trucks, but I don't think that is a general rule as long as your maximum speed of 55 MPH is not obstructing traffic.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:45 PM   #53
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Michelin warns of tire failure risk at 180F or higher, my TPMS is set to alarm at 157F. Also set to alarm at 10% low and 20% high on tire pressures. Totally wireless and has helped me with low tire warnings due to picking up a nail; gave me lots of time to find a tire fixit place instead of changing a flat (or blowout) on the road.

Simple to install - video here:
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:13 PM   #54

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I have seen places in CA posted to limit lanes for trucks, but I don't think that is a general rule as long as your maximum speed of 55 MPH is not obstructing traffic.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...11/c3/a1/21655

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...11/c7/a2/22406
Old 08-07-2015, 03:29 PM   #55

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Hmmm I wasn't aware of the restriction of Section 21655 that apparently applies only to highways of 4 or more lanes in each direction.

I'll try to stick with it, I just hope that truckers do as well, especially on those long grades. Thank you for the post.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:32 PM   #56
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Michelin warns of tire failure risk at 180F or higher, my TPMS is set to alarm at 157F. - video here: