Over the weekend... - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-10-2015, 09:05 AM   #57

Name: Roger
Trailer: 1979 Trillium Jubilee
New York
Tire that blew was a radial CAR tire, rated for far more than the weight it was carrying on the trailer. It was over 10 years old. Probably closer to 12 years. Bias ply spare was even older, but spent most of it's life covered, so it held up fine. All three tires were replaced with D rated, 6 ply trailer tires. Cost me $230 out the door. They were much harder to find than I anticipated. I was more pissed off losing my vintage (1968 Ford Falcon) hubcap that the damage to the trailer.

Tire guy (commercial truck tire place) said it was age related, and saw it all the time. He told me that it was simply a matter of changing the tires that were over 8-10 years old or they would do that when at speed. He also told me that any properly sized tire should be able to go at typical thruway speeds (65-70MPH) with absolutely no issues.

Exploding tread took all my new parts (water inlet/outlet, electrical door, etc.) off the side, and left nasty black streaks all over the side. Anyone know where I can get a Trillium Jubilee side marker light in red?

Old 08-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #58

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Roger,

The speed limit on any road in NY is 55 mph when towing a trailer. Most trailer tires are labeled for 65 mph max. Proper inflation is important.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:44 AM   #59

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The black streaks may come off with some careful use of Bar Keepers Friend, a fiberglass-friendly cleaning powder. I like to mix it into a thin paste before application so it's gentler on the gelcoat. Last two long trips I managed to run over pieces of tire on the road, which kicked up and left black marks on the front corner of my Scamp. They came off with the BKF.

Sorry to hear about the other damage. In similar cases I have seen structural damage to the shell around the wheel well, and occasionally catastrophic loss of stability, so I am thankful nothing like that happened.

Glad to hear you now have all-new tires. Hopefully your experience will serve as a caution to others to know the date of your tires and to keep trailering speeds down.

BTW- keeping tires covered does not extend the safe age limit. Trailer tires can degrade from the inside without any external evidence.

Safe travels!
Old 08-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #60

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Wow.... Replace at 8 to 10 years old? That's a very wide range without knowing the actual condition of the tire. To prevent that issue I replace by the tires 7th birthday, regardless of appearance.

I'd bet that 50% of the peeps reading this have no idea of how old their tires are right now. This is a good time to check, doing so would have saved a lot of damage on Rogers Trillium, as well as that lost hubcap.

BTW: The "Guy" at the tire shop might know tires, but it's unfortunate that he apparently didn't know NY state speed limits for towing..
Old 08-10-2015, 11:33 AM   #61

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Roger,

The speed limit on any road in NY is 55 mph when towing a trailer. Most trailer tires are labeled for 65 mph max. Proper inflation is important.
I never knew that! Hardly anyone complies, and a lot of folks really go fast with trailers of all sizes!

I found a good guide that covers all states: onlinetowingguide.com/pdfs/StateTowingLaws.pdf
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:00 PM   #62
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
12 years old......

12 years old, overloaded, high speed..... the results were predictable. Guess there is lesson learned here. Thnxs for posting Roger. We all need to be reminded to be aware of our tire's condition etc.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #63

Name: Roger
Trailer: 1979 Trillium Jubilee
New York
That .pdf is out of date or just plain wrong. NYS law states "passenger car speed". That means posted speed limits.

And anyone that thinks they are driving 55 on the NYS thruway is full of it. You'd be a road hazard at that speed. Trying to keep up with the fastest cars (75-80MPH) would be stupid, but going much below 65 would be as well. 55 on other highways may be prudent, but not on the thruway.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #64
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleete View Post
T

And anyone that thinks they are driving 55 on the NYS thruway is full of it. You'd be a road hazard at that speed.
So true Roger. Been there. Our rig kept creeping up to 70MPH. I finally had to set the cruise on at 62MPH and it felt like we were crawling. Glad to get off that road. Secondary roads are much more interesting.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:29 PM   #65

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Tires begin to degrade on day 1, right after they are manufactured. But it's very slow degradation, of course, and their load carrying capacity declines only gradually. The consensus is, they should be replaced 5 to 7 years after that date. If one has tires loaded almost to maximum rated weight, I think it's prudent to change them even sooner.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:39 PM   #66

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleete View Post
That .pdf is out of date or just plain wrong. NYS law states "passenger car speed". That means posted speed limits.

And anyone that thinks they are driving 55 on the NYS thruway is full of it. You'd be a road hazard at that speed. Trying to keep up with the fastest cars (75-80MPH) would be stupid, but going much below 65 would be as well. 55 on other highways may be prudent, but not on the thruway.

It appears that the law has changed. Sorry for posting old information.

My rule is the same as MC1 (Wayne) I drive at 62 mph on Interstates tops and stay to the right. There has never been a problem and I am a rear view driver as well.

Secondarily once I leave the Northeast where the population density can be greater than India, I seek secondary roads like coastal route 17 heading south. I drive only 3-4 hours a day, seeking to cover 150 miles. Whether I drive 75 or 55 doesn't make much of a difference in my day.

I do see many trailers when on Interstates exceeding the posted speed limits.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:51 PM   #67

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I'm sorry Roger thinks that I am stupid, but I keep our rig at 57 on the Thruway, and stay in the right lane. I very rarely pass, preferring to follow anyone slower than me for a while until I know I can pass without interfering with traffic.

Terrible thing to be so stupid, but what would all the smart people do without us?

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #68

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Over the weekend...

It's a dilemma, I agree: go with the flow or slow down when towing. Our rural interstates in AZ have a 75 mph speed limit for all vehicles, but they're likely not as congested as the NY Thruway, so 62 works for me when towing. My actual experience is that most towed rigs and even some passenger vehicles are already going less than 75 mph. Semis and snowbird RVers are usually going 65-70. I know this because when I do drive 75 (without the trailer, of course, and not often even then) I pass more people than pass me.

But no matter how congested or what the local practices are, towing over 65 is just asking for more events like the one that started this thread. I know there's nothing magic about the number 65- tires don't instantly disintegrate at 66. But you have to draw your line somewhere, and the tire manufacturer's recommended maximum speed seems like a common sense place to draw it.