Over the weekend... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #21

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Road hazard that causes tire to slowly lose pressure can lead to a blow out pretty fast. Lower pressure causes tire to overheat which causes more tire squirm which creates more heat.

Something that gives you a flat causes you to pull over, on the other hand a nail that takes you 5# under pressure might not be felt by the driver but cause the tire to degrade rapidly to a blow out. Which I believe is generally the pressure blowing out the side bead rather than the tire itself popping. However at speed the tire just disintegrates from the total loss of pressure.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:02 PM   #22

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hmmmm... We still haven't gotten an Age Date report on the tire that failed or at least it's matching twin (?) on the other side.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:42 PM   #23

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
80mphx5280ft/mile=422400fph
422400fph/60min/hr=7040fpm
7040fpm/60sec/min=117fps
117fpsx12in/ft=1404ips

24.1in (ST175/80R13dia*)x3.14159265(pi)=75.5in(circumference)

1404ips/75.5in=18.6rps
18.6rpsx60sec/min=1116rpm

80mph=1116rpm

*tires on my Trillium

BTW, sunny side or shady side also makes a difference in tire heat.

Speed limit sign in Arizona.
Another troll here playing with numbers:
centrifugal acceleration on the rim of a rolling wheel is v^2 x R
(velocity of travel squared times radius of the wheel)
80 mph = 35.7 m/s
radius 12.05 in = .306 m
acceleration = 35.7^2 / .306 = 4178 m/s^2 = 425 g's

(I like metric units for this stuff.)
Every gram of that tire tread "weighs" 425 grams!

As Homer Simpson would say: Tires, is there anything they can't do?

Slowing down to 60 mph takes the forces down by a factor of .56 - now that feels much better.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:22 PM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Road hazard that causes tire to slowly lose pressure can lead to a blow out pretty fast. Lower pressure causes tire to overheat which causes more tire squirm which creates more heat.

Something that gives you a flat causes you to pull over, on the other hand a nail that takes you 5# under pressure might not be felt by the driver but cause the tire to degrade rapidly to a blow out. Which I believe is generally the pressure blowing out the side bead rather than the tire itself popping. However at speed the tire just disintegrates from the total loss of pressure.
The very reason we have continuous pressure and temperature read out on our trailer tires. Though it has alarms for low/high pressure the read out is right in front of Ginny and she can see trends.

Once a tire on the CRV started to slowly lose pressure. We stopped and it was one of 'Roger's' nails. We put the spare on and we stopped we plugged it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #25
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post

FWIW, I run LT truck tires, not trailer tires. Another reason I like the Oliver so much. It would probably tow fine at 90, but I'd never try it.
I'm in a similar boat Ron but using Extra Load P's. They work great and at 38lbs pressure provide a plush ride for our vintage 43 year old trailer.

I too believe we could tow at 90MPH but will leave that kind of fun to the pro's at the test track.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:26 PM   #26

Name: Charles
Ohio
Speed

If I go over 60 its purely by accident. You kinda blow any time you save changing a tire.
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:54 PM   #27

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The reason for this is that heat build up is the primary enemy.....

A tire at full inflation runs cooler...
Then can anyone tell me why you would not run a trailer tire at full inflation? After all, no one is riding in the trailer and expecting a smoother ride.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:01 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'm tying to understand why, when the tire companies employ a R&D department to design a tire specifically for use on trailers, that anybody would decide they know better than these companies and use a light truck or passenger tire instead.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:28 PM   #29

Name: Charles
Ohio
60 MPH
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:17 PM   #30
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'm tying to understand why, when the tire companies employ a R&D department to design a tire specifically for use on trailers, that anybody would decide they know better than these companies and use a light truck or passenger tire instead.
Why???... It's not that difficult to understand. ST tires are the poorest grade of tire produced other than a lawn tractor tire. Statistics show that generally speaking, trailer tires have a failure rate many times that of LT or P rated tires. When you follow data from RV shops that have not been using ST tires on trailes you see the positive trend of "fewer tire failures".
Old 08-06-2015, 07:21 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
you see the positive trend of "less tire issues".
Fewer.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:30 PM   #32
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Fewer.
A good point Glenn and I like it. Ill make the correction. Thnxs!
Old 08-06-2015, 07:40 PM   #33

St-Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Why???... It's not that difficult to understand. ST tires are the poorest grade of tire produced other than a lawn tractor tire. Statistics show that generally speaking, trailer tires have a failure rate many times that of LT or P rated tires. When you follow data from RV shops that have not been using ST tires on trailes you see the positive trend of "less tire failures".
As this aren't claims heard very often, even from those that use their trailers year around, can you cite some published statistics or documentation for the highlighted claims. Without other support I suspect that there is some, as we call it here in the south, "Hooey" involved.

If these claims are supportable, the information should be turned over to the NHTSA for action, they love these problems, it keeps them from getting their budgets cut.

You may have noticed that the o.p. that started this thread still has not posted the age date information, overage is seemingly, a leading cause of all RV tire failures, both on trailers as well as motorhomes.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:48 PM   #34
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

If these claims are supportable, the information should be turned over to the NHTSA for action, they love these problems, it keeps them from getting their budgets cut.
There are some trailers that tow great and others that are not so nice. Just because they are, not so nice doesn't mean that NHTSA is going to do anything about it, even if you do send them a note.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:48 PM   #35

Actually, maybe he was running on lawn tractor tires? Who knows?
Old 08-06-2015, 07:50 PM   #36

First you were blaming the tires now you are blaming the trailers, which is it

In other words ya got nothing.....

Old 08-06-2015, 08:59 PM   #37

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I wonder if the new, thicker tread also stresses the tire more due to centrifugal force.
not measurably
Deeper tread is less stable and squirms creating more friction and thus more heat. I used to make a point of buying tires in November so that I would have deeper tread for winter driving and better handling come summer once the tread was worn a bit.
High performance tires often come with shallower tread and race tires are often shaved.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:11 PM   #38

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
I know this has been rehashed many times but is there truly a reason we con not run good quality car or truck tires on our trailers . It seems that specific for trailer tires are not as good quality and seem to blow or disinagrate often and have lower speed ratings . I know of some people using car or truck tires with out issues. Some say they will bounce less but on a small trailer they seem to bounce a lot anyways . I think I'd rather spend more on a good longer lasting tire not trailer specific than replacing tires constantly after little use but being a manufacture of a trailer and renting out trailers of course we must go the proper and legal route .
We ran low profile car tires on our race trailer for about a dozen years, [not an endorsement]they looked nice and they gave us a better angle of approach and a lowered fender for loading and unloading the car. My driver paid little attention to speed limits on or off the track. We never had a trailer tire problem.
When we went to a seriously large enclosed trailer it got trailer tires of the appropriate load range.
Trailer size and weight are factors which are largely ignored when the hyperbole starts.

One factor which calls for trailer tires even on very light trailers is that the good ones have greater UV protection which is a big plus for trailers which spend most of their lives in storage.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:30 PM   #39

Who's Smarter????

Quote:
I'm with you on this Glen. But, in the world of RV's (as well as other worlds I am sure) there is always a cadre of folks that think that they are smarter than the designers, engineers and all of the lawyers in the business.

It's all to easy for that sub-group to call others "stupid" when they disagree. In short, when they don't like the message, they choose to attack the messenger.

As an example, when a few Chinese mfgs. make some substandard tires, they choose to attack the entire product rather than the examples.

Maybe we can rent the set from the recent debates and have them all go at it..... Unfortunately, as the majoro domo P.I.T.A. I'd probably be assigned the middle podium. LOL
P.I.T.A. = Provider of Inconvenient Trailering Advice.....

Old 08-07-2015, 06:32 AM   #40

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
I think there is another factor to throw in for consideration, and that is that the term "trailer" is a little ambiguous. Yes, a trailer is always a non-powered vehicle that is pulled behind another vehicle. But, there the similarity fades away. If I buy a trailer tire, what trailer is it designed for, and for what conditions?

The primary advantage that trailer tires bring to the table is stiffer sidewalls. The assumption is that trailers are for hauling loads, generally at reduced speeds and shorter distances, and less frequently. The stiff sidewall allows it to carry a wider range of loads, and it stabilizes the trailer against unbalanced loads.

But, to reach that design intent, the manufacturer made a whole lot of assumptions. Some of those assumptions were correct, some were not. So, whether or not the trailer tire is the best option for me, on my particular camper, loaded the way I load it, driven the way I drive, on the types of roads I drive, as frequently as I use the trailer, in the weather conditions I travel in, etc, would be a formula far too complicated for my sorry little brain.

My guess is that there are a few assumptions that we can safely make, as well. First, if your trailer EVER wags its tail, or if you feel that you need a sway control, you should be running trailer tires. If you like to go to cast-iron or dutch-oven campouts, you should be running trailer tires. If it takes you more than 10 minutes to load or unload stuff in/from the trailer when you set up/tear down, you should be running trailer tires. If you are a minimalist/travel light sort of camper, you will probably be fine running LT or P-rated tires. (I am in this last group, but I still run trailer tires).

On more comment from this peanut -- having tires rated for higher speeds is NO JUSTIFICATION for towing at higher speeds. The integrity of the tire is only one little factor in all of the dynamics involved in towing at higher speed. Physics is the big factor, and tires don't change physics - only duct tape can do that.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote