Over the weekend... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2015, 10:57 AM   #1

Name: Roger
Trailer: 1979 Trillium Jubilee
New York
Over the weekend...

NYS Thruway, Friday July 31 at about 2:30 PM. Speed in excess of 70MPH, but below 75MPH. Traffic quite heavy, but no one stopped, so I hope I didn't cause any damage to someone else's vehicle.

Tire actually exploded. Made a Boom! not quite as loud as a shotgun. Thruway authority truck driver that came out to assist didn't seem to surprised at the carnage. Changed the tire (for a healthy fee) and got me back on my way.
Attached Thumbnails
20150804_191719.jpg  
rleete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:54 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Was that a trailer tire rated at 65 mph? I've wondered what would happen on the rare occasion I needed to exceed 65 to get through a hairy traffic situation how long it would be safe to travel at say 70 before risking such a blow out.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:11 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Just asking, what was the date of manufacturer? It should still be visible on the sidewall.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Speed in excess of 70 mph are you kidding
In calif the limit is 55 towing a trailer

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:08 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Was that a trailer tire rated at 65 mph? I've wondered what would happen on the rare occasion I needed to exceed 65 to get through a hairy traffic situation how long it would be safe to travel at say 70 before risking such a blow out.
Umm... time for the big admission. I have gone 110 km/hr, (68 miles/hr) while towing a trailer. Maybe for like, 10 hours. The prairies are just flat, and mostly straight.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:23 PM   #6

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Towing in excess of 70 mph seems risky to me and most likely not legal in most states. Hope this experience serves as a reminder to slow down. Glad you weren't hurt though.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:08 PM   #7

Towing Speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreengirl View Post
Towing in excess of 70 mph seems risky to me and most likely not legal in most states. Hope this experience serves as a reminder to slow down. Glad you weren't hurt though.
Unfortunately, not all states have reduced towing speeds. I think that it's less than 1/2. Here is a listing of state towing speeds. Trailer Speed Limits | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

Unfortunately that means that a number of states allow towing at 75 mph and at least one at 85 MPH.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:18 PM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:

That just means that the tire is RATED at, not restricted to, a speed of 65 mph. It doesn't mean the tire cannot safely go faster. But the higher the speed, the more heat will build up inside the tire, especially over long periods of time. You will have no problem if you punch it and hit 80 to get out of the way of an 18 wheeler barreling onto the interstate. Just don't run at 80 all day long. Probably best to keep it around 60 as your average (maximum) speed. Of course, if you stay off of the interstates, it will be somewhat slower.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-05-2015, 07:18 PM   #9

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I have NEVER seen a sign that said slower speed for towing trailers. Only occasionally it will say TRUCK and a speed a bit lower than for the rest.

I typically go the posted speed limit up to 70, but not above. That doesn't seem to stop alot of people, especially the guys with really big trailers - they seem to think 80 is just dandy.

FWIW, I run LT truck tires, not trailer tires. Another reason I like the Oliver so much. It would probably tow fine at 90, but I'd never try it.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:25 PM   #10

Drive through the Golden State some day, it is heavily posted for all vehicles towing
- 55 MPH - on almost every speed limit sign, of which there are many. This include all semi's, all towed RV's and all RV's towing a Tow'd and anything else that is towing anything else.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:27 PM   #11

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Truth or Dare

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Umm... time for the big admission. I have gone 110 km/hr, (68 miles/hr) while towing a trailer. Maybe for like, 10 hours. The prairies are just flat, and mostly straight.
Dave,

While we're playing truth or dare, I've been as high as 65 but never intentionally and never for very long. AS well we rarely drive more than 3 hours in a row. I know you're not retired but as really old folks we don't drive long or fast...when younger the Porsche could fly and corner like a slot car... that was before RVing.

As we age we know we're not as quick, strong or even alert, we don't see as well... we take it easier gaining the advantage we can and focusing our energy into shorter time frames.

Part of the benefit is we don't put as much pressure on the trailer, tow vehicle or tires.

I'll have to start for NL earlier than the rest of the troops.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
There are so many variables that speed rating is too simplistic to take the blame alone. Even this long winded post is not comprehensive.

First...Let me throw the obligatory bone here and say that you should restrict your speed to 65 or lower under all conditions.

Tires have their worst speed capability when brand new, at high speeds, and on hot pavement.

The reason for this is that heat build up is the primary enemy.
New tread holds more heat, high speed retains more heat, and of course hot pavement conducts more heat into the tire.

A tire on dry pavement runs cooler at half tread.
A tire at full inflation runs cooler.
A tire on cool pavement runs cooler.
Even a well balanced tire runs cooler.
And of course a tire runs cooler at lower speeds.

There are other factors such as tread design and depth,carcass design, tire material, load, attitude and tongue weight,and yes the aging of the tire itself.
Still there are no magic numbers or magic formulas to guarantee that you will never have a catastrophic tire failure. Everything else being perfect there are always road hazards.

I say all of this just to come to one point...
Don't worry but carry a spare!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:11 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I think I once returned a VHS tape and forgot to rewind it!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:34 AM   #14

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
A quick internet search brought up this: http://onlinetowingguide.com/pdfs/StateTowingLaws.pdf

Can't vouch for it's accuracy but it sure is food for thought.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:41 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
"I run LT truck tires, not trailer tires."
Like Ron, a great option many people choose.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:33 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
I know this has been rehashed many times but is there truly a reason we con not run good quality car or truck tires on our trailers . It seems that specific for trailer tires are not as good quality and seem to blow or disinagrate often and have lower speed ratings . I know of some people using car or truck tires with out issues. Some say they will bounce less but on a small trailer they seem to bounce a lot anyways . I think I'd rather spend more on a good longer lasting tire not trailer specific than replacing tires constantly after little use but being a manufacture of a trailer and renting out trailers of course we must go the proper and legal route .
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:02 AM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
rv.net has plenty of threads on that if interested.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #18

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
New tread holds more heat, high speed retains more heat, and of course hot pavement conducts more heat into the tire.
I wonder if the new, thicker tread also stresses the tire more due to centrifugal force.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:41 AM   #19

This might be a better source for up-to-date vehicle laws, the link will take you to towing speed limits but there is a whole list on the right of other concerns:

Trailer Speed Limits | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

Old 08-06-2015, 11:41 AM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool RPM at 80mph

80mphx5280ft/mile=422400fph
422400fph/60min/hr=7040fpm
7040fpm/60sec/min=117fps
117fpsx12in/ft=1404ips

24.1in (ST175/80R13dia*)x3.14159265(pi)=75.5in(circumference)

1404ips/75.5in=18.6rps
18.6rpsx60sec/min=1116rpm

80mph=1116rpm

*tires on my Trillium

BTW, sunny side or shady side also makes a difference in tire heat.

Speed limit sign in Arizona.
Attached Thumbnails
GEDC1131.jpg  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote