Overkill Anyone? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-26-2007, 11:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 15 ft
Send a message via ICQ to Ken James
This has nothing to do with fiberglass and compact trailers. We are the school of simplicity, however, there is another school of thought. Aren't you glad you were not bitten by this bug?
Attached Thumbnails
RV_with_car.jpg   RV_with_car_2.jpg  

Ken James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 12:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
Wow! Might as well put wheels on your house.

I'll wager that the fuel costs for that rig for a summer of rambling would pay for a new Casita or such.

To each his own.
Robert Brummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14
If one can afford the costs of this custom coach and the MB in the lower garage.....well lets face it the cost of the fuel is but a minor inconvenience!

We'd all do it if we could afford it!
GHYNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
overkill is right!
but stuff like that to me is for the rich and famous.....

not my cup of tea.....

To me stuff like that just means prestiege and $$..... other things in life are so much more important.....
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Not me, I wouldn't do it. Too fancy for my blood. I'm still thinking that I'm going over the edge a little in looking for a trailer--what on earth has been wrong with camping in a tent all these years?

Still looking for a 17' Casita with bath in the western US...
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:58 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
Quote:
We'd all do it if we could afford it!
No way. You'll have to speak for yourself on that one.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:30 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Awhile back I started a thread about Keeping our little eggs original or turning them into something else and came to the concensus that most people will change the insides to suit thier needs...Who Knows maybe this is what they NEED.

They look happy....Do you think they would have those smiles on thier faces after spending a week boon-docking in my Boler 1300???

I imagine also that it is all on how you were brought up and can almost say that the child in the picture will never have to worry about the stink of wet cloths in a small camper when he grows up either.
To those who say "To Hoity-toity for their blood"...maybe you said the same about your microwaves at one time.
I have a freind who still says that about computers and myself see no earthly need for a cell phone so the people in the picture must think that they cannot do without this bohemouth of a camper...
Just my opinion.
Gerry the canoebuilder...I still get around the lake under muscle power and not GAS.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:25 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Too me it means a lot of extra work that's not worth my time while traveling. The logistics of maintaining a rig like that would be overwhelming not to mention that the areas I go to seek solitude and peace would not accommodate a rig like this.

In this day and age, you also become a target for criminals when such abnormal possessions are so visible.

The final analysis is that it's their business how they choose to travel and spend their $$.
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:38 AM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation

This is a candidate for those "campgrounds" that would turn a Fibergalss Trailer away for being too small.

I wonder if they "Stealth Camp"?

I've never seen one... They must be good at it.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:26 AM   #10

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
The rudest SOB I ever met while camping in my Casita (in fact, the only SOB I've met while camping in my Casita) was a guy who had this enormous gigantic rig who was towing around one of those cars that's also a boat. My wife and I were talking to his wife who liked the Casita, and he walked up and started commenting about what piece of junk our trailer was.

No, I didn't kick his butt down the road. But I thought about doing that.

I could have said something about his over-consuming rig, but I simply turned my back on him and walked away. His wife was quite embarassed by his rudeness. Having his face rearranged could likely fix his attitude, but he caught me a couple years too late--the anger management saved him.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 11:36 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
He ( the SOB ) was exhibiting a classic case of insecurity and lack of self esteem.
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 02:31 PM   #12

Quote:
He was exhibiting a classic case of insecurity and lack of self esteem.

And no doubt completely justified.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:15 AM   #13

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
He ( the SOB ) was exhibiting a classic case of insecurity and lack of self esteem.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Or maybe he was compensateing for his small, errr.. Physical stature, by going big in the commercial/economical world
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:21 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
he walked up and started commenting about what piece of junk our trailer was.
Well isn't that special (using Dana Carvey's Church Lady voice). Let's face it, arrogance isn't all that uncommon. When this type of thing happens to me, I just chuckle and say to myself I'm glad we're not related..can you even imagine what the poor wife lives with, or if he should have a twin?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:42 AM   #15

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
It doesn't matter what you drive, sleep in, or wear. Someone will always look down their nose at you.

Airplane owners get this, too. The guy flying the $320,000 Lancair kit plane will look down his nose at the guy flying a 1940s Piper Cub because the Cub is a decrepit 60 years old. The parts on that plane are so old that he granddad might have made them in high school, and the thing only flies at 80mph. It'd take forever to go from here to there and you'd have nothing to do but look out the window. The idiot Cub owner probably doesn't even have a decent GPS installed so he can tell at a glance exactly where he is and where he's going.

Meanwhile the $20,000 Cub owner looks down his nose at the Lancair guy because the Lancair is so high-tech and so fancy that it is totally disconnected from the Great History of Aviation. Then there are all those fancy, high-tech gadgets in the Lancair, none of which have been around long enough to survive the Test of Time, and flying at 20,000 feet with the stereo playing and GPS guidance to tell him where to go, the Lancair owner is too fast and too high to enjoy the scenery he's flying over. And that GPS? The idiot would probably fly into a mountainside if the it told him to.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:51 PM   #16

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
Quote:
This has nothing to do with fiberglass and compact trailers. We are the school of simplicity, however, there is another school of thought. Aren't you glad you were not bitten by this bug?

I don't think most people with these rigs actually go camping. That rig is so low I doubt it would get over a speed bump with out grounding out. I could certainly see a movie star driving it to a shoot location and then using the car to get around. I expect if I had the money I might own both my egg and the fancy rig as well as a multitude of others that my lifestyle and remote adventure quests would necessitate!
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:53 PM   #17

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
2 Bob fm DR

I’m not a shrink and I don’t play one on TV however over the past 65 years I have learned some things, and a couple are:

If the only time you pay attention to your dog is to beat him for getting in the garbage, the dog will get in the garbage every day because he craves attention, even though it is bad attention. (This I read in Dog books)

The person with the oversized mouth said what he said to “Get Attention” and when you just walked away it took away his reason for existence. His wife has heard it all her life and actually sets him up by starting the conversation (with you and others) knowing he will come along and make a complete ass of himself. Her way of getting back at him for being such a jerk.

As far as he is concerned, he would have to get smarter than he is just to be a imbecile.

The stupidity scale from the Dictionary from Smartest to Dumbest:
Moron, Imbecile and the dumbest on the list is Idiot

The great news is that You got over it and he is still an egotistical Idiot.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:06 AM   #18

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 15 ft
Send a message via ICQ to Ken James
The responses to this thread confirm what I have always known; we FG trailer lovers own these because we prefer them and NOT because 'that is all we can afford."

Thanks for the contributions folks. We're about to hook up for another season with our Trillium and we puff up with pride when we roll down the road tugging our prize possesion.

P.S. - I owned a big ol' motorhome in an earlier life and I would never go back to that after using these smaller trailers.
Ken James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:26 AM   #19

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
We have had all sorts of campers over the years such as tents, VW Bus, Slide in pick-up campers, tag along, etc, camped all over the world, Canada, Turkey, Grease, Italy, Germany and the USA.

The EGG is easy to tow, park and camp in and we can drive the truck around to look at the sights and it fits our purposes to a T.

When U can afford a motor home and really prefer an Egg, the money you saved on the purchase of the egg rests in the bank in a high yield CD earning interest instead of being parked in your driveway 98% of the time for show off purposes.

NufSaid
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:23 AM   #20

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Quote:
I don't think most people with these rigs actually go camping.
That is probably the most incisive point I've seen in this regard.

No - they don't go "camping". They go "RVing". The fact they make use of campgrounds is really irrelevant. They're just as 'at home' in a parking lot as a nice campground (if you never get out of the thing, what difference does it make).

Cost isn't really a significant factor. Yeah - it matters when they're new. But a fair share of this forum's members are pulling trailers from the 70's. COST-wise, you could pick up a monster stickie from the 70's for about the same price (we most likely wouldn't WANT to - but that's beside the point).

It's just a matter of what you enjoy and value. I value efficiency. I value the clever solutions that people have for cramming as much utility into as small a space as possible. It's just not very challenging to take a 30foot box and shove stuff into it. It's hard to take a 10-13 foot space and shove that same level of utility into it.

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote