Overnight Parking Spot on DelMar Peninsula - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #1

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Overnight Parking Spot on DelMar Peninsula

Has anyone stayed overnight at a Walmart, truck stop, etc. between Dover, DE and Salisbury, DE on the DelMar peninsula? I am looking for a place to get some sleep that would be near Route 13. I thought about Killens Pond State Park Campground but I would be stopping after midnight and I would hate to disturb anyone. Please only reply with places that you have actually stayed at. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 01:54 PM   #2

Name: Fred
Trailer: Bigfoot
Delaware
Ovwernight parking

I live in the area so I have never stayed there, BUT numerous people use the parking lot at the Walmart Super Center store located on US route 50, about 5 miles west of Ocean City Maryland. Well lit area located next to a Home Depot Store. On weekends in the summer you may see up to 15 campers in the parking lot. Many people drive late into the night then stop here to wait until they can check-in to their reserved camp site!
FredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:51 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Alex; can I assume that you are heading across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge / tunnel. One time north of the bridge we stayed at a Walmart that was close to Route 13 but can't remember just where it was. Another time we stopped at Trap Pond SP Delaware fairly late, no one at entry booth, put money in an envelope. It was Thanksgiving day, and we got an electric site. A few other campers there. As I recall there is a rest area with bathrooms and a big parking lot at the north end of the bridge. We stopped to use the restroom and there were a few trucks parked in the lot. I don't know about overnight parking out on the bridge island as those lots aren't that big and maybe not easy to get turned around and back out of. We always stop at Sting-Rays restaurant which is just a little (6 to 12 miles) north of the bridge around Cape Charles. Good seafood, which Mary likes but I don't. They have other items on the menu so I can find something I like. Gas there too and some tourist trap items.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:29 PM   #4

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
I am familiar with Stingray's. I've driven 13 down the peninsula every year for the last 15 years or so. I go to the largest Radio Control airplane meet in the world in South Carolina every year. I did find a Walmart Supercenter just off of 13 in Camden south of Dover that allows overnight parking. I was hoping to find someone who had stayed there. I appreciate the tip about Ocean City, but that is too far out of the way.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:07 AM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm aware of a couple of KOA's down there, right on the water.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:21 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler
I stopped at the Shad Landing area of the Pocomoke River State Park on my down the peninsula from Cape May when I was bringing the Boler down from New Jersey. We rolled in after dark and dropped an envelope in the registration box - it was around $12 at the time - think its 14 now. Nice park - watch for chiggers in warm weather.
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:12 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Overnight Parking Spot on DelMar Peninsula

Shad Landing... Camped there every year when I was a kid, Jack. Usually in the summer but occasionally in the fall. We canoed the river, rode bikes, swam in the pool, attended junior ranger classes, and drove to a nearby pier on the sound to catch blue crabs with a string and rotting chicken necks. We begged Mom and Dad to take us to the beach at Ocean City, and once in a while they'd give in. Great memories!

Glad to hear it's still a nice place and reasonably priced, thanks for bringing it to mind, and I apologize for the digression...
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote