Overpriced in Cali - Havasu and more - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-20-2017, 07:50 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
My thought exactly. If you aren't comfortable, let it pass. Unless you really have your mind set on a Havasu in particular, there are more fish in the sea. Fall is a better time to buy. Coastal SoCal is crazy, but I have seen decent deals further inland.

It doesn't have to mean missing a camping season. It's called a tent. Or a small tent trailer. Or...

For that kind of money I would be inclined to camp in a tent for a while, save a few more pennies, and buy a brand new Scamp. If a genuinely good deal on a used egg came up in the meantime, so much the better.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:48 AM   #16

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
My story is the same kind of idea, but for a different item.

I have wanted a beautiful working treadle sewing machine since my teens. I am now 60 something. We are re-doing our "Family Fun Room" which has a generous sewing corner planned for me. We're "on a roll" with the decorating having discussed the furniture, built-ins and accessories as well as budget. I drew sketches and created a "mood board". (This is a collage of colors, fabrics, styles, etc. that you like.) As soon as I said to myself that it was time to get a treadle sewing machine I not only found one with my name on it on Craig's List the same day, it was 1 mile from my home, it was the right price AND the owner delivered it for free! Attached is a photo.

I suppose my message is, prepare yourself to welcome an endearing item or experience into your home and life and one way or another you will make it will happen.
Attached Thumbnails
4.2017 Italian Fest and Treadle Sewing Machine 008.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:51 PM   #17

Name: Janet
Trailer: Havasu
California
Registry
Havasu Camper

The Havasu that someone mentioned for sale in California for $2950 was the one we bought. Everything inside was pretty much rotten (wood cabinets, etc) and had to be removed. The people told us the fridge worked but it hadn't worked in years -- and the camper had no batteries, no wiring, no nothing. We added over $2000 of brand new top-notch appliances and fixtures (listed in ad) and paid a lot of people too much money to try to get it fixed up. We probably spent over $8,000 -- not your problem but ours. It is unique and rare and really a gem in the rough and we think it is worth the $, especially with the market here in California. We would be willing to talk about price with someone who might be truly interested. We also are throwing in brand new headliner material (we paid over $400) for insulation if desired.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:56 AM   #18

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 15B17G, 1986.
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet berrian View Post
The Havasu that someone mentioned for sale in California for $2950 was the one we bought. Everything inside was pretty much rotten (wood cabinets, etc) and had to be removed. The people told us the fridge worked but it hadn't worked in years -- and the camper had no batteries, no wiring, no nothing. We added over $2000 of brand new top-notch appliances and fixtures (listed in ad) and paid a lot of people too much money to try to get it fixed up. We probably spent over $8,000 -- not your problem but ours. It is unique and rare and really a gem in the rough and we think it is worth the $, especially with the market here in California. We would be willing to talk about price with someone who might be truly interested. We also are throwing in brand new headliner material (we paid over $400) for insulation if desired.
Congratulations on renovations! (In the Registry)
You seem to have made a little gem
It is now a question of finding the person to whom it is appropriate and who is willing to continue polishing it.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #19

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I looked at the ad. I don't think the price is really out of line. The sellers have replaced a lot of the expensive items:

"We installed the following new items: 1) 3-way Dometic refrigerator, 2) water tanks -- 12 gallon fresh and gray, 3) water pump, 4) custom window blinds, 5) PD-4045 controller (way overkill), 6) 100-watt solar charging system, 7) two 6-volt deep cycle batteries, 8) inverter (for charging cell phones, etc.), 9) Fantastic vent (wonderful addition!), 10) LED lights, 11) high-density foam cushions."
Donna makes some good points. Check out the price of 3-way Dometic fridges (owch!!). It sounds like it has a lot of goodies added. And already set up for solar is very nice.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:52 AM   #20

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Did you buy it?

Harriet, did you buy it?
I guess I have to agree with those that say a cheaper one would cost that much anyway. I paid $5,000 for my Compact Junior (similar to Havasu but with material pop-top) for a usable and not-rotten trailer, but I'm sure I've invested at least a couple thousand on getting all the systems to work and doing modifications (with my brother's skillful hand). The "pay now or pay later" plan, I'd say.
Attached Thumbnails
CJwithawnings3.jpg  

Tags
havasu