Overwhelming Material - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-19-2007, 07:22 AM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot
Manitoba
I'm with Frederick; I love the technical stuff as an educational process; although I've found it to be addictive, and can lead to previously unforseen trailer modifications. But I also like pictures....

Old 09-19-2007, 07:30 AM   #16

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
You know what is scary? I DO have a clue, but only a clue to what many people are talking about. I devour every word! Then I Google the parts that I want to understand better. Pretty soon I look up and realize it's wa-a-ay past my bedtime! [b]It's like college! Cramming for the big engineering exam: Will that trailer I resurrected from death because I don't have the $bux$ to order a new one actually follow my minivan without littering the highways? Writing that term paper: Survey results and discussion on the merits of propane versus 12 volts as a power source for refrigeration. The only things missing here are graduation diplomas!

Frederick, This is more like a lab. The important empirical result is what you get when the trailer does NOT, in fact, litter the highway after your mods!

Old 09-19-2007, 09:20 AM   #17

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
humm. It's not a very girly thing to say, but I understand most of the technical talk. I'm an engineer by proffession. I like it.
HIGH FIVE GIRLY ENGINEER!

I have an M.E. and ended up teaching college for the last 15 years of my carrier.
I do understand how technical stuff can turn off some readers as it does some students.
You can talk technical without it coming out as gibberish I think.
Use lots of graphics if you can because a picture is worth two stones in a bush!

Ron
Old 09-19-2007, 02:37 PM   #18

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
I really don't mind reading the tekkies version of a topic. I usually learn something and realize that even at my age I still don't know it all. I just don't see the need to quote a two or three page article several times by several different individuals. That seems to draw my attention elsewhere real fast. If I want to re read the article I look for the original message and skip the quote.
I do like short messages and lots of pictures but then I like the funnies too.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:11 PM   #19

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
HIGH FIVE GIRLY ENGINEER!

I have an M.E. and ended up teaching college for the last 15 years of my carrier.

Clearly you are deeply geeky. I like that in a man.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:24 PM   #20

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:

Ron
<sigh> ONLY an engineer would talk about someone's air conditioning company like it was their career or something!

Carrier indeed.

I'm sorry, Ron... my apologies. I really did recognize it was just a typo, but I couldn't help m'self!

Quote:
Clearly you are deeply geeky. I like that in a man. winky.gif
And... Laura K... this is a FAMILY oriented website... we'll have none of that cozy-ing up stuff here in public!

Roger
Old 09-19-2007, 07:34 PM   #21

Quote:
<sigh> ONLY an engineer would talk about someone's air conditioning company like it was their career or something!

Carrier indeed.
Cruel!
Must be from the English Dept.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:19 PM   #22

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Quote:
Cruel!
Just a moderator helping out
Old 09-19-2007, 11:21 PM   #23

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Quote:
Cruel!
Let's take a closer look at that. According to Merriam Websters online:

Main Entry:
cru·el Listen to the pronunciation of cruel
Pronunciation:
\ˈkrü(-ə)l\
Function:
adjective
Inflected Form(s):
cru·el·er or cru·el·ler; cru·el·est or cru·el·lest
Etymology:
Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin crudelis, from crudus
Date:
14th century

1: disposed to inflict pain or suffering : devoid of humane feelings <a cruel tyrant>2 a: causing or conducive to injury, grief, or pain <a cruel joke> b: unrelieved by leniency <cruel punishment>
synonyms see fierce
— cru·el·ly Listen to the pronunciation of cruelly \ˈkrü-(ə-)lē\ adverb
— cru·el·ness noun

So we can now see the Etymology of the term is from the 14th century Middle English with Latin roots. So, it may not necessarily mean that it is from the English Department which is presupposed in the originating statement. However, if one accounts for the colloquialism of the term then it could be perfectly acceptable to state that it is from the English Department. If one were to attach a sway bar to the term cruel then it would significantly decrease the tongue weight and allow one more headroom for additional jargon.............
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:41 PM   #24

hi Greg!

Indeed that's the problem with an inside joke... some people take it literally.
You really really got me with "Etymology" though. Had to look it up.

take care

Ron

PS Most of us have Websters online too but that does little to lessen your tongue weight
Old 09-20-2007, 01:26 AM   #25

Trailer: Eggless at the moment
So, if I have taught English to future Engineers. AND I am now working in the computer industry, does that make me doubly cruel? Or just crazy?

I describe the Play Pac's reno as the biggest case mod I've ever attempted.

The geeky stuff doesn't put me off. Sometimes, it takes a couple of times through the post(s) to absorb what's being said, but it's really a learning thing.

Course camping is the objective. Doing it with class in the glass is the passion.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:26 AM   #26

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I can read along with the best... just depends upon if the topic is something I want to know about. I avoid certain "posters" because he/she has forgotten the first rule of writing... Write to express, not impress. The second rule "Know your Audience." Third rule... see rule one.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:59 AM   #27

Quote:
So, if I have taught English to future Engineers. [b]AND I am now working in the computer industry, does that make me doubly cruel? Or just crazy?
HA! I recognize my error now! I forgot to put a smiley face next to the "English Dept"

Donna is facetiousness used to express or impress?
Old 09-20-2007, 09:55 AM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
If you hang around the board long enough, I think you get to the point where you realize that you don't have to read every post. (Not so for the moderators though).

Once you achieve that level of karma, then the board just flows along and you sample what interests you.

After all, there is quite the continuum of campers here. The "hard core, pound meteorites into spear tips and chase down your own game to eat" types all the way to those who like to talk about it more than do it. (Ooooo, tell me about those flannel lined jeans...oooh, that sounds sooo good!)