Owner said make an offer.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #1

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
Owner said make an offer....

Found a 2008 Scamp 13'. Sounds like a pretty basic set up...nothing special. Owner has a price on it, but says feel free to make an offer...what is a decent price to pay for one of these in good condition? (Haven't actually seen it yet...it is a state away, owner says all is in good condition) but planning to look next weekend ( and obviously haven't committed to but if not in good shape)if we can come close on a price....
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
prices vary by season and location. Check the archives both here and on Greg's site
fiberglass-rv4sale?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I always recommend that when purchasing, check the NADA price because NADA always prices these fiberglass RVs low and use this figure when buying. You can adjust your offer down based on the condition, etc and work your way up if the offer is not accepted. Print out the NADA report and have it with you to show the seller.

think the reason NADA is low is because the bulk of Scamp sales are private therefor NADA does not have data to base their price on.

2012 Scamp Price, 2012 Scamp Values & 2012 Scamp Specs | NADAguides

I recommend exactly the opposite to the seller. The seller should always say NADA don't have the actual facts on what Scamps sell for.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #4

Minnesota
How does $6600 for a 2008 sound?
Old 10-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #5

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I think that sounds like a good price if it is in good shape. These little eggs really hold their value.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #6

Minnesota
They said they've traveled less than 2000 miles with the rig....I can't imagine it's not in good shape.....I did get some pics and it looks good except for the cover on the spare which had seen better days (but is also fairly cheap to replace)....
Old 10-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #7

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
$6600 is a very good price. What is he asking? If that is his asking price it probably won't be there next weekend.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #8

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
I paid a similar price for a similar trailer a little less than a year ago and felt quite good about the deal. I would have been willing to pay a little more and still considered it a fair price based on what I know now. I felt even better when I saw how much the family enjoyed the trailer.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #9

Minnesota
He is holding it for me...so it should still be there sat. It is not his asking price but I needed to make sure I could afford it before I drove 3 hours to look. There is a 78 nearby for 4000 that they said had some renovations in 2007...I think I would rather pay a little more and go a lot newer at this point.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #10

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
You might try putting an ad in the paper asking for one. I do that all the time when I'm looking for something and somebody always knows somebody who has one they are thinking of selling. Since they are made in Minn. I would think there would be plenty to choose from. I saw an 88 13' in Idaho last summer listed for $1500. I was an hour late, grrrrrr
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #11

Minnesota
I put an ad in the paper, in every site I could think of on the internet and peppered both nearby towns with flyers. Also stopped at at least four houses where I found them and asked if they wanted to sell....
Old 10-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita
Registry
If that one is too much for you maybe this one will work. Fargo, ND on the border.

http://www.bismanonline.com/skamp_camper
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
2008 Scamp SCAMP-13 Standard Equipment, Prices & Specs - NADAguides
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #14

Minnesota
Gene...the one in Fargo is almost twice the drive of the other one I am looking at (it's about 5 1/2 hours)....I have spent over 24 hours on the road running around looking at campers....between the gas and time, I might as well have bought a newer one in the first place. The guy did make a comment that he had had a half dozen people look at it (and it is still there....which worries me a little)....unless he was bluffing....

Ms. Zabo....I think that would be considered a steal....does anyone actually pay close to book for these things?
Old 10-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #15

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
I paid $9.200 for my 2008 Delux 13' this spring.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #16

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I think that trying to use those NADA prices would insult the seller and may harden the price. The only place they are used is by insurance companies that are trying to lowball a claim.

13' Scamps can ome in a wide variety of trims, ranging from basic, with two lights, a stove and an icebox, to fully loaded, with deluxe wood trim, a bathroom, shower, hot water, 3 way fridge, furnace and an a/c unit. That said, in addition to condition, it's hard to put price on an unseen unit. But... right now prices seem to be headed down.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #17

Minnesota
I know it has aa three way fridge (which will be on and cold when i get there). It has a stove, a sink, the bunks, the screendoor and the little window in the kitchen....and a battery package as well....and the table is new. He also said he was trying to sell it at a friends "lot"...table got broken while it was there and he ordered a new one. I do not know what price he had on it at the lot and i do not know why "a half dozen people have looked but no one has purchased it"....but i do know he is $600 lower than his current asking price, so it never hurts to take a look.....
Old 10-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #18

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
It's the same old story, everyone wants something for free.
It's a good price and if you have cash in your pocket, buy it.
Banks are not going to loan anything over NADA low retail.
That's equal to loan valve. Hundred dollar bills in hand will most likely save you a few extra dollars. Put on that poker face and get him to pay for your gas.
Good luck, if its yours you will know it.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #19

Minnesota
I don't want anything for free but don't want to overpay either. I don't know if it's better to pay more for a new or less for an old. As i am new to the fiberglass world, i am wary of what could be hidden problems. I have cash either way and do not need to worry about a loan....but i always wonder....what if i wait....will i find something less expensive or does the price tend to go up closer to spring....
Old 10-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #20

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Spring has an effect on everything that is seasonal and despite what you'd believe if you read some of the hardcore posts here, camping and snowshoeing season are sort of on opposite sides of the calendar. In the buyer's remorse category is also "Wonder if I could have found something better for a few dollars more." The real question is whether a roof is a roof is a roof. 30 yrs. old is a roof due for replacement. A 3 yr. old roof shouldn't be. Same with trailers.

There are also "orphans" out there adopted by caretaker/facilitators. Believe me these folks aren't restoration enthusiasts or even restorer/flippers. They might throw out some cute napkin rings and potpouri but they won't have the fridge operating for you. You have your FGRV-approved checklist and you know what's on the other end of the spectrum from your Burro adventure. As do Mike and Sara, I have faith that you'll know whether you want it when you see it. There are a lot of pretty average Scamp 13 footers clustering around the 3500$ price point. They're not from 2008. You must determine if you'll pay an age "premium". Best of luck negotiating and may your satisfaction start with the pink slip and last a long long time.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote