Pack Mule - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-18-2006, 06:16 PM   #15

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
most all of my stuff is in tubs as well, and they live outside the trailer if they don't contain stealables (Well, everything is stealable, but this stuff I won't cry over if some dork takes it)

The rest go nicely in the back of the Element.

I have a stacking system for towing. I need to have the van open in back for the dogs to ride comfortably, but it is less than a 2 minute "Toss" to get the tubs transfered.

I have many more tubs than actually needed, but I like them to stay light so I CAN just toss em.

The other items I forgot to mention that are in excess at first glance..

I carry Two chairs, and a set of boots, and other misc manly items that get set out in full view to give the appearance that there may be someone a little more powerful than me about as well.

Old 03-18-2006, 06:33 PM   #16

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
..... oldest underwear and socks. Then rather than washing it, I just leave it the various appropriate trash receptacles along the way.

Right on! I do this too, so much fun to trash 'em, not wash 'em.

Old 03-18-2006, 06:50 PM   #17

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
This is a real hoot! It's wonderful to hear all your replies! You've all given me some good ideas.

Frederick, I think once this forum slows down a bit (and once the rain starts) I might get started on the list, too. Whichever of us gets it done first can post it. I'd love to have a list for the first trip of the year. Seems like every year I forget....something!

Loren: LMAO! That is SO funny and SO clever! You're my HERO! FINALLY, a way to get a man to throw out his threadbare underwear!

Donna: Richard's the only one who drinks coffee so we have a one-banger (just drip, boil water seperately) that doesn't take up a lot of room. When we go to Oregon we'll have power, so we may bring our Canadian Tire Special. They sell one that brews a cup at a time (steam). You can get them on sale for about $12 CDN.

PACKING: The smartest thing I did was throw out the duffelbags and suitcases (for clothes) and replace them with collapsible cotton storage containers. They're the kind you're supposed to put sweaters and blankets in. They have a clear plastic top and little cedar panels on the sides so everything smells fresh (including the underwear). They take up tons less room and can sit on a shelf or on the bed when we travel. If they bounce around, it doesn't matter - they're soft-sided! And I can color-code them so they match my design scheme. Winners (in Alberta - I think the US counterpart of the chain is Target) seems to be selling a lot of them lately - about 1/2 price off.

Keep the ideas coming!

- Miriam
Old 03-18-2006, 07:11 PM   #18

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
We, like Gina and Donna seem to depend on what/where our next adventure is going to take us. We have a full complement of both electric or propane serviced devices, but here is a short list of some of the "stuff" we/I have been known to pack:

My msn/tv , which is an internet access device requiring only a phone line (preferally toll free), power (we always have a portable 120 system on board) a t.v of whatever size works for you. The t.v. is your monitor.... and the control box which is the size of a cable box!

a small combo bedside phone/radio/ alarm clock

A portable outdoor propane powered firepit (we have two)

A color tv/dvd player

Porta potty with color matched cover

ac/dc portable cooler also with insulated and color matched to the car

Extra sun shelter which consists of a LARGE outdoor patio umberalla that attaches to the side of the bumper via a receiver hitch

A hot diggity dogger (electric hot dog cooker n bun toaster)

An ac/dc wine chiller

one of two electric cork screws (one is ac, one is dc)

A satellite tv system, portable and painted color matched to our rod and has added flames

an assortment of clear LED christmas tree lights which we use as patio awning lights

9X12 patio mat

small round plastic collapsable patio table with two chairs and an ottoman

small ac/dc vaccuum cleaner

small LED "barbecue light" clamps onto the patio set for illumination after dark

propane powered auxillary portable show with accompaning shelter

...still workin on more too, IF I can find some tiime
Old 03-18-2006, 09:23 PM   #19

Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Minnesota
My kids (now grown) say if you are camping and need ANYTHING just go ask mom as she will usually have it.
I carry extra camping chairs,sleeping bags, pillows, towels washrags, etc for anyone that forgets theirs. I bought new pots and pans for the camper, new towels and washrags (I have never used them) I have a built in Microwave/pizza maker toaster oven thing. I have lanterns, 2 tables for outside, tiki lights, solar lights, extra water jugs, heaters (both electric and propane) battery and electric operated fans, porta potty, 30 cup and 9 cup coffee pots (use the 30 up one for hot water) Tea pot , crock pot, step stool, extra bedding, vacuum cleaner (small one-free form Orick). Usually cook outside so have camp stove for picnic table.
Well you get the picture, you name it, I mostlikely have it.
Then in the car I have x-pens and dog crates, big and small for the furry ones. The x-pens go around the camper so dogs can go under camper for shade. Oh, I also have 2 or 3 of those extreme coolers (don't use the camper fridge for anything but storage).
Yep, packed for any and everything here except for those extra mens boots, mens jacket and pepper spray. I will have to think about adding that this year.

I know I need to cut back on things but if one of my kids or their wife should forget something I will have it to share.
On rainy nights, I share my camper when their tents are all soggy.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:36 PM   #20

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Frederick, I think once this forum slows down a bit (and once the rain starts) I might get started on the list, too. [b]Whichever of us gets it done first can post it. I'd love to have a list for the first trip of the year. Seems like every year I forget....something!
Keep the ideas coming!

- Miriam
I did my list today, and I think I'll post it separately, under What do I weigh?. I wanted to have some fun with it...
Old 03-21-2006, 10:41 PM   #21

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Quote:
A portable outdoor propane powered firepit (we have two)
A hot diggity dogger (electric hot dog cooker n bun toaster)
An ac/dc wine chiller
one of two electric cork screws (one is ac, one is dc)
small ac/dc vaccuum cleaner
This is the very nicest forum I have ever been on, with no rude comments. So I will try very hard not to be too at this point.

Re "a portable outdoor propane powered firepit (we have two) and a hot diggity dogger (electric hot dog cooker n bun toaster)" -- isn't that what the cooking fire/bbq is for?

And a bag of ice and swiss army knife do the same duty as "An ac/dc wine chiller and
one of two electric cork screws (one is ac, one is dc)."

Or is my leg being pulled here? A vacuum cleaner? OMO! Do ya bring a rake and lawn-mower, too?
Old 03-21-2006, 11:30 PM   #22

Registry
Quote:
Or is my leg being pulled here? A vacuum cleaner? OMO! Do ya bring a rake and lawn-mower, too?
Hehehehehe....that's what I like about hearing what other people bring. I look at some of the things others have on their list of "must-have's" and I've been alternatively shocked, surprised, and, I must confess,...ready to steal ideas! Of course, what you pack depends entirely on how long you'll be away - but it's still amazing what we all consider "essentials." And I'm sure those of you with 13-footers will agree, pretty much everything we take is an essential - no room for extras!
For me style is essential. I like living in a pretty place, so everything's matchy-matchy - right down to the sheepskin rug. It's like my little 5-Star hotel. Richard, I'm sure, thinks I'm bonkers, but as long as he has coffee, he's happy.
So - everybody - what do you think is the WEIRDEST thing anyone has ever brought? Any stories out there?

- Miriam

P.S. Charlynn - yes, it's the NICEST forum, isn't it?
Old 03-22-2006, 12:09 AM   #23

Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
Among many of the things mentioned, what was lacking are two of our most important items: plastic flamingo-stemmed wine glasses and a box of wine. Couldn't camp without em!
Old 03-22-2006, 12:27 AM   #24

Trailer: Trail Michigante 1972
well it use to be surfboards, trunks, tee shirts, beer/ rum/sleeping bag, know its dutch oven iron skillets fire wood good seating, bino,s dog toys.big duck little duck frogie. whale, rain deer, inside dog bed.out side dog bed& 2 frezbees i always lose one in the woods.sheets blanks comforter.pillows ax .& the list goes on, O the 45& fishing gear shovel, rake 3# sladge hamer& /o yes & ROAD KILL
Old 03-22-2006, 08:59 AM   #25

Trailer: 73 Surfside 14 / '05 Magnum RT AWD
I have one of those little vaccums packed, so yes to the vac. I don't know why except I once had carpet so I needed it, then someone browed it to vaccum their AC out so now I must have one with me - - in case someone needs to borrow it?? I don't have carpet any more. maybe I should rethink that.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:23 AM   #26

Registry
Quote:
I have one of those little vaccums packed, so yes to the vac. I don't know why except I once had carpet so I needed it, then someone browed it to vaccum their AC out so now I must have one with me - - in case someone needs to borrow it?? I don't have carpet any more. maybe I should rethink that.
*wicked, evil grin*
Ah, an ulterior motive emerges. First, I find out what everyone else is bringing to Oregon 2006, then I make a list so I'll know who to borrow from.....*snort*

- Miriam
Old 03-22-2006, 10:31 AM   #27

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
*wicked, evil grin*
Ah, an ulterior motive emerges. First, I find out what everyone else is bringing to Oregon 2006, then I make a list so I'll know who to borrow from.....*snort*

- Miriam
Sounds good to me, Leave more room for the wine.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:32 PM   #28

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
This is the very nicest forum I have ever been on, with no rude comments. So I will try very hard not to be too at this point.

Re "a portable outdoor propane powered firepit (we have two) and a hot diggity dogger (electric hot dog cooker n bun toaster)" -- isn't that what the cooking fire/bbq is for?

And a bag of ice and swiss army knife do the same duty as "An ac/dc wine chiller and
one of two electric cork screws (one is ac, one is dc)."

I don't remember if it was asked what all we pack at any one time The appended list is a list of all the "stuff" we have available to take with us. There's just NO way to get half of that stuff loaded inna 13footer The propane powered firepits can be used fore cooking but I'd rather not get the burners all crudded up with grease and other food spillage. The "pits" are used solely for replacement of the real McCoy when we go r.v'n (sheesh I couldn't call it camping...LOL) when there are burn bans in effect. The long stemmers are always packed beside the cork screws though.....