Pardon Me… Your Behind is Showing - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-12-2016, 09:22 PM   #57

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
The truck we drive for work is a Chevy 3500 crew cab HD. We all hate it. It's ridiculously tall, but yet somehow has very little clearance. Nobody can reach in, or hardly see into the bed. You can't see where any the truck starts or ends, from the driver seat.

It's made me notice, even more, all the gigantic trucks on the road. Most of them seemingly for nothing more than ego. I lived in ranch areas and I've seen where big trucks come in handy. But even they don't need the size truck I'm seeing out there these days. And I'm seeing them driven as "commuters", at the grocery store etc.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:18 PM   #58

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Trucks sure create bizarre reactions. There is a six lane section of interstate that runs thru town and has a speed limit of 65 MPH. When I drove my 4Runner at 55 in the right hand lane I got lots of fingers and raised fists. Two passing lanes just aren't enough.

In 2012 we got rid of the perfectly fine 4Runner with 320,000 miles on it and got an F-250 to tow about 8,000 pounds of boat, trailer, and junk. I still drive the same section of interstate at 55 and I see few indications of anger. Suddenly two passing lanes are enough.

I view myself as an environmentalist. My spouse and I are retired and only need one vehicle. Does anyone really think we should buy a Prius to go to the grocery store? Building another vehicle (and buying it) has an immense carbon footprint, great cost, insurance,,, and will sit around idle for months at a time when we are gone. The carbon footprint of my fuel consumption ain't so hot either. I get ~14MPG around town, >17 on the road and 9 to 11 towing.

Wildly exaggerating what I read on airforums.com, there are folks who wish to tow their 34 foot Airstream with a Smartcar and are sure that if only they could find the perfect hitch they could do it safely. Perhaps they don't drive up mountains like I do. Perhaps they don't drive down mountains like I do and somehow don't really need brakes. I don't know their context and absent my exaggerations they may really make sense. Similarly I don't see how a thinking person can see someone driving a 1 ton truck and buying a loaf of bread as ether evil or as a manifestation of poor judgment.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:56 PM   #59

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
Wildly exaggerating what I read on airforums.com, there are folks who wish to tow their 34 foot Airstream with a Smartcar and are sure that if only they could find the perfect hitch they could do it safely. Perhaps they don't drive up mountains like I do. Perhaps they don't drive down mountains like I do and somehow don't really need brakes. .
Alan, you have not been here long but trust me we have the same folks here! Seen some pretty scary photos of combinations posted over the years. Favourites are the 16' & 17' trailers attached to a vehicle with zero tow rating and no brakes connected on the trailer.

If I am not mistaken a few years back we even had a poster with a 16' Scamp attached to an all electric vehicle with a zero tow rating as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:59 PM   #60

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Alan, here is some food for thought, we have a 1/2 ton GMC pickup truck and a Prius. Having the right tool for the job is important. You wouldn't have to have another vehicle built, as there are plenty of very good used ones out there, and 52 mpg helps offset the 5 months of poor milage.
Dave & Paula
Old 05-13-2016, 10:23 AM   #61

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Alan, here is some food for thought, we have a 1/2 ton GMC pickup truck and a Prius. Having the right tool for the job is important. You wouldn't have to have another vehicle built, as there are plenty of very good used ones out there, and 52 mpg helps offset the 5 months of poor milage.
Dave & Paula
This is why I'm loath to suggest that I've got a better answer in the absence of context. When we aren't traveling we usually get nearly a month out of our 35 gallon tank. We don't drive much. We try to limit our driving to three trips per week but don't often succeed. Minor grocery shopping is done by walking to a disliked Safeway one mile away and a little more than 300 feet lower in altitude. We carry loaded backpacks a mile and up 300 feet. Most driving destinations are accumulated: we seldom drive to one place at a time. Can you still support, let us say, an $8,000 used car and maybe $700/yr insurance in his context?
Old 05-13-2016, 10:38 AM   #62

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Pardon Me… Your Behind is Showing

The math varies greatly. When we made the decision to downsize from 3 vehicles to 2 a while back, it meant using a 24 mpg Sienna instead of a 34 mpg Camry to commute 350 miles round trip to Phoenix once a week for classes. The insurance savings along paid for the additional gas. Gas prices, insurance costs, maintenance, and miles driven all contribute to the bottom line. One factor we didn't consider at the time was towing, since we didn't have the Scamp. By racking up miles on the Sienna, we ended up having to purchase a new tow vehicle sooner than we might otherwise, and good tow vehicles tend to cost more than small sedans.

(First comment deleted, as it referenced a previous post which has been removed.)
Old 05-13-2016, 10:52 AM   #63

Name: Dick
Trailer: Escape
Virginia
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug P. View Post
Yup there oughtta be a law.... Against the tiny size of parking spots :-)

Cheers
Doug
[QUOTE=Carol H;586878]Yup! Totally agree on that!

Old 05-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #64

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
LOL... It wasn't a 2012 4Runner with 320K miles! It was a 4Runner of unknown vintage sold in 2012.
Yes, it was a '96 that suffered (with me) a ghastly commute for a while.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:41 AM   #65

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Ford also offers such stupid bandaids for poor design. All that proves is that they acknowledge the problem but refuse to fix it.
Of course you could build them even taller if you provide rocker mounted escalators for access to the box and the cab.
]
Got to ask Floyd, if they hired you to fix the design problem what would you design that does not impact the trucks bed carrying capacity?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:09 PM   #66

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Here in Pennsylvania you can get a ticket for leaving the shin buster ball mount in your receiver while not towing, that could save almost a 1' of parking space from just one vehicle..
I would agree, as I have busted my knee and shin on these things countless times, but the ball mount has actually save my bumper a couple times.

On two occasions I have had absent minded drivers or misjudged distance by said drivers that have hit my ball mount. Once by a Volvo 740 wagon that squeezed into the line for a left turn lane way too fast. There was a loud clang and he slouched down in his car with a sheepish wave. The other was some sort of Nissan or Mazda in Hartford stop/go traffic about 9pm. I looked at the damage, the other driver just ignored me and changed lanes.

Both cases the hit was slow enough that there was no damage to the frame mounted hitch, but fast enough that I probably would have needed new safety bumper, bumper cover, likely tweaked the hatch. Over a $1000 in each case easily.

Both times I had just gotten a hitch cover and procrastinated installing it. Now the ball mount stays on.

Jason
Old 05-13-2016, 02:24 PM   #67

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
I actually miss our work truck (when I was growing up). We had a couple auction PG&E Fords (F100 short box and F250 long bed), but we always kept the '51 GMC 2500. Easy to reach over step side, 8 foot oak board bed. Had a very common step/contractor rear bumper. Only in the last couple year was it converted to 12V. But we still made couple hundred mile drives to pick up thousands of pounds of cinder block with it. My favorite memory was towing the 3 axle semi and short (20ft?) shipping container home about 5 miles.

Jason
Old 05-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #68

Name: larry
Trailer: Casita, but in the market for a bigfoot
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth EWA View Post
The Chevy Colorado that I just got is what they call a mid-size. It's plenty big enough for me. When I was shopping, I didn't even consider the full size trucks.
chevy colorado overall length 225" chevy silverado length 130"
chevy colorado overall width 74" chevy silverado width 80"

I doubt that the 5" less in length would make parking any easier. but if you like a narrower truck for about the same money ... to each their own.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:35 AM   #69

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryc View Post
chevy colorado overall length 225" chevy silverado length 130"
chevy colorado overall width 74" chevy silverado width 80"

I doubt that the 5" less in length would make parking any easier. but if you like a narrower truck for about the same money ... to each their own.
I think you may have used the wrong numbers here.....
Old 05-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #70

Name: larry
Trailer: Casita, but in the market for a bigfoot
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think you may have used the wrong numbers here.....
Perhaps, i quick google search on dimensions for each model gave those numbers. Only point was, those mid size trucks really aren't much different from their bigger cousins.