Parents Vehicals - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-23-2005, 02:49 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My parents never did own a vehical.I was wondering how many others out there went through similar experiance.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
My partents never owned a vehical, they however own several vehicles. By the way, what is a vehical? <GRIN>
Old 11-23-2005, 03:11 PM   #3

Quote:
My partents never owned a vehical, they however own several vehicles. By the way, what is a vehical? <GRIN>
I never got hired for my spelling HA
Old 11-23-2005, 03:26 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
My father's parents, born at the end of the 19th century and lived until the 1980's, never owned or drove any motorized vehicle, although they could have had a car if they wanted it. My mother's parents had various farm vehicles and presumably a car. My parents are the first generation for whom a car was a routine expectation.

Every generation seems to expect more material possessions, and less physical work. While this sounds like Utopia, I personally don't think it's really working out very well - all that stuff is not making us happier, just better equipped and less self-sufficient. Having said that, I'm not giving up our vehicles, unnecessarily large house, various electronic devices, or travel trailer any time soon.

Quote:
My [b]partents never owned a vehical, they however own several vehicles. By the way, what is a vehical? <GRIN>
Good rule of thumb: it's not good to make a typographical error while kidding about someone else's spelling error!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 05:07 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Quote:
I never got hired for my spelling HA
Sorry Ches, the devil made me do it.

Quote:
My father's parents, born at the end of the 19th century and lived until the 1980's, never owned or drove any motorized vehicle, although they could have had a car if they wanted it. My mother's parents had various farm vehicles and presumably a car. My parents are the first generation for whom a car was a routine expectation.

Every generation seems to expect more material possessions, and less physical work. While this sounds like Utopia, I personally don't think it's really working out very well - all that stuff is not making us happier, just better equipped and less self-sufficient. Having said that, I'm not giving up our vehicles, unnecessarily large house, various electronic devices, or travel trailer any time soon.

Quote:
Good rule of thumb: it's not good to make a typographical error while kidding about someone else's spelling error!
Ooopsss ... Got me...
Old 11-24-2005, 02:54 PM   #6

Cool

(Sorry Ches, the devil made me do it. )

Its ok.Was it my Devil or yours.Ha
Old 11-24-2005, 03:32 PM   #7

Registry
Cool

Quote:
(Sorry Ches, the devil made me do it. )

Its ok.Was it my Devil or yours.Ha

Ahhh, Haaa... They ganged up on me.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:00 PM   #8

Trailer: Bonair Oxygen 2002
Well my parents owned a Model T roaster in 1955.
Actually they weren't quite that far behind the times. My dad started RESTORING Model T's then. The last he owned were' a 23 T and a 1934 Desota Airflow when he died in 1992.
jean
norman and jean mulloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 12:17 PM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
My father owned several, one of which was MY first car. (After it went thru my brother and several male cousins ) It was not given, I had to work to get it and I paid all the expenses.

My father also HATED to drive, but my brother and I were never allowed to drive HIS car. He couldn't wait til we were driving age and had our own cars. Then whenever we went anywhere together, WE got stuck driving, OUR cars. At 16, this seemed cool, but it got old as WE got older, and still, NO ONE was allowed to drive his car.

We got him back tho. Some might find this story Irreverant, but understand, my father had a wicked sense of humor and he would have approved 100% and would have died of lafter, if he wasn't already there from a heart attack.

He passed away suddenly, with no wife. My brother and I both lived far away, so my brother and his wife drove all nite and I got on a plane to get to Seattle to deal with the unpleasantness. I needed transportation while there, so I grabbed Dads Keys, and for the first time in my life, I was driving HIS car.

We decided the most appropriate place for his wake (We cremate and don't do funerals, per se) would be his favorite haunt, a chinese restaurant where he and his friends would spend hours visiting in the bar, and a place we spent a lot of time in when we visited him. We made the arrangements with the owner, who was also a personal friend and all was set. My sister in law got a very lovely box for the cremains we were very proud of. It was a tree trunk. (I and my brother learned our love of the woods and camping from my Dad) We were to have a picture on a centralized table and his cremains there for those that wanted to pay respects or practice thier religious beliefs with a "body" present. (My brother and I are agnostic, but respect those that have other beliefs) Then immediate family were to go out on a friends fishing boat on the Puget Sound and scatter.

Anyway, the day before, when were were setting up the tables and dscussing the arrangements when the owner realized we actually intended to bring "Dad" in the building. He said he couldn't allow that, that that was considered very bad luck in Chinese culture.. so.. NOW what to do? There were Catholics coming that HAD to have "something" there to bless and practice over.

Well, as mentioned, my brother had a car, and I was driving my Dads. First time I had been "allowed" to. What was he gonna do? Report me? LOL! We decided that we would all go in HIS car, and park HIS car in the usual spot he parked in at the bar, which was right in front of the door. And we carefully placed the lovely box of cremains in the drivers seat, put the seatbelt around it and folks walked by and stopped to look into the drivers window for thier "Viewing". And there is where he sat, for his entire wake.

Wake over, time to scatter....I put him in the passenger seat, also strapped in by the seatbelt and drove him, in HIS car to the boat dock, with his entire family in the back seat.

I also ended up driving that car back to So. Cal with every intention of selling it, but found it to be the most comfortable ride I had had to date, (Big ole Buick Regal) so I ended up keeping it for 2 years!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 04:45 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

My brother recently posted, on our family's website, all of the cars my Dad had owned. Then he posted all of the cars that he had owned. (My brother has an affinity for cars.) My Dad liked to trade cars every 3 years or so. He used to buy used cars, discover what was wrong with them, get it fixed, then complain how the car was "nickel and diming" him to death, so that he could justify trading it in on another car. This made my Mother furious! She would complain to me that every time that the car was finally in decent condition, Dad would sell it (at a loss) and start the merry-go-round thing over again.

Dad never wanted Mom to drive, either. She didn't get her driver's license until my oldest sister went behind Dad's back, used friends parents to help her get her license, then helped Mom get hers.