Park liner thread closed but not completed. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #15
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Also note that the Carefree Fiesta awning doesn't have to be opened all the way. .

LOL Glenn you have reminded me of a few more reasons I have serious awning envy every time I see a Carefree awning.

The Dometic type case awnings can not be fully locked into position half way out and they have a gap between the trailer and the case that holds them that unless you stick pool noodles (cut in half) between the gap, water will drip down the side of the trailer getting things wet under the awning area. The Carefree type of awning doesnt have any gap between the awning attachment and the trailer or at least the ones I have seen don't.

I also away's put the awning up so that one side is slightly higher than the other to allow for rain run off. A lot of people on the wet coast make sides for their awnings out of ripstop material to cut down on rain/wind coming in from one side or the put them at the front to provide more shade or hold in the heat from a propane fire pit under the awning. Carefree also sells a Buena Vista Room that can be added to their awnings for that purpose.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #16
Name: Scott
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner
Hi elli,

We might be able to answer your questions if you would like to pose them here. You mentioned these items:
Originally Posted by elli View Post
...window dimensions, attachment methods for the interior ;blinds and shelves and exterior; awning.
Windows are made by Hehr; I can get you exact sizes in a couple days. Here are my estimates:
Front: bathroom, 12 x 5, hinge on top, frosted glass
LH Side: two 30 x 15, double pane, fixed upper pane, lower pane is hinged on top
Rear: 30 x 15, same as above
RH Side: one 30 x 15, same as above; small sliding window behind range, about 14 x 8, and then the 8 x 18 on the door. I can let you know in a day or two how close I was with my guesses.

We have curtains in our unit (no blinds), so I am not sure if you have ordered something different. Our curtains are hanging from rods that clip into brackets at the ends. Brackets are fastened to the underside of the upper cabinets with rivets. Very clean install and works fine.

There are no "shelves," specifically, but the upper cabinets are made of fiberglass like the body. These are "glued" in place with a continuous bead of some type of adhesive (I forgot the product), but they demonstrated the strength to us by having a guy do pull-ups from them inside a unit.

We went with a portable straight-leg canopy rather than an after-market awning. We tend to bump into the angled supports, and trip over tie-down cables. The canopy just has four simple legs that don't really get in the way. Others have given good input on awnings.

Hopefully some of this is useful.

mrscottyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #17
Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Hi Elli,
Yuppers on all the above tips on awnings being for "Shade" and a bit of rain. We have a Fiama F45 awning on our van conversion and roll it in at the first sign of winds. The wind will literally rip most awning right off an RV. It is a horrible sound to hear even if it is from a neighboring camp! (Been there!!).

When the sun shines and it is calm we put up the same awning as Brian (Gardner MT.) It is a free standing 12' awning. When the rain comes? We will put up either our custom TYVEK awning or a NOAHS Tarp. Both non-attached to trailer...simply thrown over the side and staked down.

My Parkliner has a birth day of April 9, 2013. If i can answer any questions i'm happy to.

One thing i'd ask Chandler to do is mount the stock shower window also in the galley so you can have a top-hinge window there to open in any type of rain for ventilation and privacy there without shades/curtains.

OH>>And ABSOLUTELY ask Chandler to install the MaxxFan 5100K fan rather than the Fantastic Fan!! It is usable rain or shine and has much greater range of operation than Fantastic Fan:

Here is a picture of our PL#35 that shows the side galley window same as the shower on front wall:

Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon
Bed, Bath, & Beyond...
2010 Chevy Express 1500 AWD Van
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #18
Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Getting up at 4 a.m. in a rain and wind storm, trying to remember the sequence to bring in the awning, while shivering in my underwear, is not an experience I care to relive.

Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote