Park liner thread closed but not completed. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #1

Name: elli
Trailer: ordered parkliner
Wyoming
Park liner thread closed but not completed.

Last week joining this forum did seem to provoke a "response" from Chandler. Parkliner is still in operation.
Unfortunately said response contributed nothing to answering our very specific (and simple)questions relating to window dimensions, attachment methods for the interior ;blinds and shelves and exterior; awning. Whether the company offers any warranty. And of course most important- WHEN we might expect our unit to be completed so that we can arrange delivery. There seems to be no concern given to the fact that customers short and long term plans lay in the hands of this chronic customer avoidance. Having been a small business owner these were the type of questions I welcomed. Straight forward , easy to give answers to and check off my list. We still envision Parkliner to be the result of our efforts but do question the journey getting to that end.This is more frustrating than bill collecting- my least favorite aspect of customer relations.
Thanks for all the advice -in spite of some of it-we have decided to hang in there for a while longer and I am hoping this post will initiate another more informative response from Parkliner
elli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #2

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
Elli,

It doesn't appear to me that they monitor these forums, so I would not expect posting things here to "provoke a response". Be prepared for "provoked responses" from certain list members determined to "give their honest opinion" as to your gullibility and naivety however.

IIWM I definitely would go post to their facebook page since from postings here it seems that they monitor those closely. Or simply call daily. Maybe they will get tired of that and call you back.

I find this whole thing rather sad. I think we all (ok most of us) want new manufacturers to succeed, and to provide a good product and support. PL is right next door to me geographically. If I had a hand in the game I would run over there and have a heart to heart with the owner, but as I don't...
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Powder River Let er buck! It has become increasingly difficult for your fellow members to comment on this situation except by parable and analogy. Bob M's light at the end of the tunnel sums the discussion for me. No need to mention the drawing of short straws or the preparation of long ropes, is there? Very best of luck with your transaction and may your new PL give you many years of satisfactory and memorable service.

Jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
But remember their facebook is edited. Mike V complained there and was deleted twice about a water leak. He sure seemed upset. I think Linda K saw his post there. In any event, elli thanks for your feedback and keep us posted on your progress and if you get a warranty document.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy Park liner thread closed but not completed.

Unfortunately that Thread degenerated into an example of how NOT to post commentary on a legitimate issue. Since Parkliner has become a "Hot Button" topic, the Moderating Staff is more alert to monitoring it.

There are no paid staff. We Moderators and Administrators are ALL volunteers, many of us have to wedge these duties in amongst our Full Time Employment. We cannot read each and every post all of the time. We rely on Members to report the bad stuff written via the triangular shaped Report Button in the Left Panel. Thank you for your continued support of this website.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #6

Wyoming
Perhaps I can get some feedback to my tech questions from PL owners. We are not so naive as many believe -we still feel it is a minor risk to assume the best intent from ParkLiner and all things considered I did get in fact a response within 24 hours after posting on this forum. Thanks for your interest and apologies for generating the response of those who would leave the thread to pontificate something other than solutions.
Elli
Old 10-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #7

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Elli, feel free to ask away. Im not going to get into about their poor customer service, but will talk about ParkLiner trailers/caravans as best as I can. I like mine alot... the size was exactly what I was looking for...queen sized bad, side dinette front shower with porta potty. I wish it had the larger fridge they are adding now but life goes on.

I made my own awning, did it classic style and Im real happy with it...no track so no worry of screws leaking one day.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #8

Wyoming
Sticking to the questions posed- What is a classic style awning and how does it handle high wind conditions?
Old 10-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #9

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Elli check my picture s and you will see it. No awning handles high winds...but works nice for shade. Check under manuf/ParkLiner I wrote up about it as a mod

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #10

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
If you read your awning instruction manual you will see that rv awnings are for shade only. They are not meant to be up in hard rain and wind and some are not rain proof. You should not leave one unattended as they can easily be caught in a gust of wind and disappear like your umbrella. Use them correctly and they will being you enjoyment.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you read your awning instruction manual you will see that rv awnings are for shade only. They are not meant to be up in hard rain and wind and some are not rain proof. .
Yup when wind is in the forecast you will see everyone in a campground put their awnings away as none are good in the wind.

I love my awning here on the Wet Coast - only way to keep my chairs and table dry. I think you will find that most permanently mounted roll up vinyl style awnings are waterproof - suspect the bag type awnings made out of outdoor cloth type materials are not overly waterproof.

I have a Catalina case awning which was standard on the Scamp at the time and its pretty darn water proof. What I dont like about it is thats its not the easiest awning in the world to put up or take down on your own and tough to do it fast if the wind comes up in the middle of the night. Its ok with small amounts of wind if the legs are pegged into the ground and not connected to the side of the trailer.

The Carefree fiesta type awning are real popular ones and much easier to put and up and take down. Most I have sat under in a wet coast down pour also appear to me to be pretty water proof. These have legs permanently mounted to the side of the trailer so they really do need to be put away in winds so as to not to damage the fiberglass its mounted to.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Also note that the Carefree Fiesta awning doesn't have to be opened all the way. You can open it half way and secure it and winds will not have near the effect on it.
Then, you can fold your chairs and lean them against the trailer, out of the rain.
I also open one arm slightly less than the other to help it shed rain.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #13

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
I think the awning can take a good and hard rain (by sloping the awning into the downhill direction), but I agree it is not ready for much of a wind. It hasn't got much of a stretch/reach into the camp site...so cross wind and rain can be an issue.
I've often thought of a portable, clip on, windward and/or leeward side transparent tarp so as to enjoy the rains until the winds come.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #14

Here's a couple pix.
First is the awning opened half way.
Second is with screen room. Cuts down on windage. Note slope down to left to shed rain away from door opening.
Attached Thumbnails
Awning half open.jpg   awning and screen room.jpg  

Old 10-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Also note that the Carefree Fiesta awning doesn't have to be opened all the way. .

LOL Glenn you have reminded me of a few more reasons I have serious awning envy every time I see a Carefree awning.

The Dometic type case awnings can not be fully locked into position half way out and they have a gap between the trailer and the case that holds them that unless you stick pool noodles (cut in half) between the gap, water will drip down the side of the trailer getting things wet under the awning area. The Carefree type of awning doesnt have any gap between the awning attachment and the trailer or at least the ones I have seen don't.

I also away's put the awning up so that one side is slightly higher than the other to allow for rain run off. A lot of people on the wet coast make sides for their awnings out of ripstop material to cut down on rain/wind coming in from one side or the put them at the front to provide more shade or hold in the heat from a propane fire pit under the awning. Carefree also sells a Buena Vista Room that can be added to their awnings for that purpose.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #16

Name: Scott
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner
Georgia
Hi elli,

We might be able to answer your questions if you would like to pose them here. You mentioned these items:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elli View Post
...window dimensions, attachment methods for the interior ;blinds and shelves and exterior; awning.
Windows are made by Hehr; I can get you exact sizes in a couple days. Here are my estimates:
Front: bathroom, 12 x 5, hinge on top, frosted glass
LH Side: two 30 x 15, double pane, fixed upper pane, lower pane is hinged on top
Rear: 30 x 15, same as above
RH Side: one 30 x 15, same as above; small sliding window behind range, about 14 x 8, and then the 8 x 18 on the door. I can let you know in a day or two how close I was with my guesses.

We have curtains in our unit (no blinds), so I am not sure if you have ordered something different. Our curtains are hanging from rods that clip into brackets at the ends. Brackets are fastened to the underside of the upper cabinets with rivets. Very clean install and works fine.

There are no "shelves," specifically, but the upper cabinets are made of fiberglass like the body. These are "glued" in place with a continuous bead of some type of adhesive (I forgot the product), but they demonstrated the strength to us by having a guy do pull-ups from them inside a unit.

We went with a portable straight-leg canopy rather than an after-market awning. We tend to bump into the angled supports, and trip over tie-down cables. The canopy just has four simple legs that don't really get in the way. Others have given good input on awnings.

Hopefully some of this is useful.
Scott
mrscottyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #17

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Hi Elli,
Yuppers on all the above tips on awnings being for "Shade" and a bit of rain. We have a Fiama F45 awning on our van conversion and roll it in at the first sign of winds. The wind will literally rip most awning right off an RV. It is a horrible sound to hear even if it is from a neighboring camp! (Been there!!).

When the sun shines and it is calm we put up the same awning as Brian (Gardner MT.) It is a free standing 12' awning. When the rain comes? We will put up either our custom TYVEK awning or a NOAHS Tarp. Both non-attached to trailer...simply thrown over the side and staked down.

My Parkliner has a birth day of April 9, 2013. If i can answer any questions i'm happy to.

One thing i'd ask Chandler to do is mount the stock shower window also in the galley so you can have a top-hinge window there to open in any type of rain for ventilation and privacy there without shades/curtains.

OH>>And ABSOLUTELY ask Chandler to install the MaxxFan 5100K fan rather than the Fantastic Fan!! It is usable rain or shine and has much greater range of operation than Fantastic Fan:

Here is a picture of our PL#35 that shows the side galley window same as the shower on front wall:

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #18

Getting up at 4 a.m. in a rain and wind storm, trying to remember the sequence to bring in the awning, while shivering in my underwear, is not an experience I care to relive.