Park Model = "Shanty town" - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 10:04 AM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Park Model = "Shanty town"

We are currently back in civilization, so to speak after a great 10 days of boondocking at Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument.

Temporarily parked at a commercial RV "Resort" in Tucson waiting for the annual Escapees Escapade at the fairground starting Sunday. This appears to be a very restricted gated 55+ community.

As we tried to get our 10K Fitbit steps in (not possible in the confines of this place) I was struck by the elbow to elbow (8'-10'apartt) clusters of Park Models, replete with kitsch ...err yard decorations that border on the way to precious.

Are these park model enclaves the new retirement Shanty Towns?

Musings of a Scamping curmudgeon,

Bat Dude

Old 03-17-2017, 10:44 AM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
Are these park model enclaves the new retirement Shanty Towns?
Bat Dude
What you're unaware of, is there's several members here that live in those so-called "Shanty Towns." Frankly, I find your characterization disrespectful.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
I'm very seriously considering buying a park model in the Florence Az. area. I want a low maintenance winter retreat. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and we sure do not have to agree.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #4

Name: J.
Trailer: Casita
Florida
I have relatives who live in those "shanty towns"

They call it camping, I call it a trailer park

To each his own...

I found the musings amusing but then again I'm a Casita curmudgeon
Old 03-17-2017, 01:11 PM   #5

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
Most or it seems so, of the campgrounds ( Public and Private) in our area have gone partially or totally seasonal .
IE : They no longer rent sites by the day or by the week only seasonally or yearly
These parks / resorts are filled with park model trailers . Many have built permanent decks , patios , gazebos and storage sheds .
They are used as summer homes or summer lake homes by many
I understand the need for the parks / resorts to have a regular / constant source of income to cover expenses . Depending on drive in business is a hit or miss proposition and involves far more work for the park or resort owner / operator.
For the renter this is often a less expensive alternative to buying land and paying taxes and maintenance costs.
Whether this is a good or bad thing is not for me to judge but it is an economic reality.
I would not call the parks / resorts "Shanty Towns" and they do provide an opportunity for those who do not have the time or wish to travel to enjoy the outdoors.
Everyone has different wants or needs and it is not for me to question or criticize their decision. They may well think that those of us who travel around the country in a small FG trailer are nothing more than upscale hobos.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #6

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
They may well think that those of us who travel around the country in a small FG trailer are nothing more than upscale hobos.
I shall no longer hang my head in shame and will forever more refer to myself as "upscale" my mother will be so proud.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:02 PM   #7

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
I shall no longer hang my head in shame and will forever more refer to myself as "upscale" my mother will be so proud.
If the compliment fits then by all means wear it !.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:34 PM   #8

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
Oh my goodness, the political correctness, the horror, the horror. Everybody's got a chip on their shoulder, everybody's afraid they are going to offend someone. Grow up and get a pair of whatever your gender has two of.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:43 PM   #9

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
Oh my goodness, the political correctness, the horror, the horror. Everybody's got a chip on their shoulder, everybody's afraid they are going to offend someone. Grow up and get a pair of whatever your gender has two of.
Evidently , you have appointed / anointed yourself as the arbitrator of what is politically correct speech . I see no reason to be rude just to prove I have a pair of whatever , evidently you do.

" If you can't attack the message , then attack the messenger "
Seems to be a common approach now days.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:16 PM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Be nice people. Just because the term shanty town was used does not mean it is time for a free for all.

People like to camp and use campers in different ways. Next door neighbor has one that he can just barely tow with his pickup. Bought it parked it in a seasonal place on the Great Lakes and heads there every weekend he and his wife can get away. We keep an eye on their house for them. Nice people and you could do a whole lot worse than to end up in a site next to them.

I like to go wilderness camping, have always liked the back country and can't really backpack any more so I try to do what I can with finding rustic places to park the camper. I like being so far back in the national forest that I'm ok with wearing a speedo, even if I can't actually see it once I have it on. Who cares? Ain't no one else around.

My sister wants 50 amp hookups and good water pressure, with sewer hookup thank you very much. If she is going someplace other than camper they are driving. Uses camper as base for activities. The parks she likes to stay in my 13 ft. Scamp looks like one of the big RV's either hauled a dog house or equipment shed along or maybe had an expando fall out. She made it through most of one summer camping without a campfire. Cross my heart it's true! If not for our intervention she would have gone without smores all year!

Takes all kinds, with different needs or desires. I like the road and travel but a whole lot of folks don't. Some folks park down in the desert in Arizona during the winter, I don't get the attraction but people who have done it say it is fun. Others use an RV as a summer cottage and like having neighbors that the see year after year.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:45 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: Sold 2012 Casita FD 17 - 2018 Escape 21 on Order - 2010 Audi Q5
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I like being so far back in the national forest that I'm ok with wearing a speedo, even if I can't actually see it once I have it on.
That's just too horrible for words!

Now I can't "unsee" this!

I am so reporting this to the mod..., er..., uh...

oh...

...hi Roger!

Old 03-17-2017, 04:51 PM   #12

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I like being so far back in the national forest that I'm ok with wearing a speedo, even if I can't actually see it once I have it on.

Oh Roger - You trollen for Big Foot ?
Old 03-17-2017, 05:13 PM   #13

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Evidently , you have appointed / anointed yourself as the arbitrator of what is politically correct speech . I see no reason to be rude just to prove I have a pair of whatever , evidently you do.

" If you can't attack the message , then attack the messenger "
Seems to be a common approach now days.
There is truth in that, but I just mulled over my copy of the constitution and I can't find any place where it protects anyone from being insulted.
Every opinion is not slander but every social structure is a system of coercion and domination, no exception.
PC is merely a conscious and extreme version, perhaps a bridge too far.
We all must maintain a level of decorum to present a decent public persona, and to avoid metaphorical excoriation, but we owe ourselves and our posterity to develop a hide thick enough to resist the intimidation of the bullies of Political Correctness. PS:119
Old 03-17-2017, 05:33 PM   #14

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Clarification

Hi Donna et. al.,

No disrespect meant or intended at all for park models in general or RV parks that feature them. I should have clarified I was referring to THIS particular location which brought this concept to mind. One size does not fit all.

We have been in many RV communities that have park models that are well spaced and offer great options for those who may not be able to or interested in towing any longer. Also very affordable options for some.

As I read the forum this section this is an area called General Chat and is noted as
"Similar to "Cheers" format, don't take anything too seriously. Come hang out, meet your friends."

Apparently, some have taken this comment too seriously.
Not intended to have "Shaken the stinky slinky" and stirred the pot

Bat Dude