Parking at Walmart - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-13-2017, 10:46 AM   #41

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Why does any Walmart or Walmart manager have to put up with people seeking free overnight camping? Are you entitled somehow?

It's called "good business". Most of us that use Walmart on occasion spend money in Walmart. Some are too snooty and stay at RV resorts.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:06 AM   #42

Name: Alan
Trailer: Nomad
Texas
Walmart's in Anchorage, AK

A year ago my wife and I spent 17 days in August in Alaska. We rented a motor home. The first night we spent in the parking lot of a Walmart in Anchorage. When we returned to Anchorage at the end of our trip, we intended to stay in the same one. However, in the meantime, the city had stopped the privilege at the request of RV parks in the area that said it was an unfair advantage. It was a real scramble to find a place at 10 pm.

Staying in the Walmart lot that first night was very handy. Since we bought toilet paper, paper towels, paper plates etc there and it was about 8 pm when we finished.
alangranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:15 AM   #43

Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
Wal Mart Parking

Personally I stay away from Wal Marts any more. The last one that I stayed at was my last. Some kid with much more money than I for new tires (or Pops credit card) kept peeling rubber and screeching tires with loud mufflers for 40 minutes until the police arrived. The same kid was back at 3 A M doing it again. I now use Freecampsites.net. I plan my trip looking for the free cam sites. Some don't have review. I usually leave a review. They show the Wal Marts and many other places. I have even ask at motels and been allowed especially after slipping the desk clerk a $10.00.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #44

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by alangranger View Post
Staying in the Walmart lot that first night was very handy. Since we bought toilet paper, paper towels, paper plates etc there and it was about 8 pm when we finished.
A whole lot of people who don't own RVs, also buy toilet paper, paper towels, etc.
My comments were regarding the sense of entitlement in some of the posts.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:53 AM   #45

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
It's called "good business". Most of us that use Walmart on occasion spend money in Walmart. Some are too snooty and stay at RV resorts.
That's me , my middle name is snooty and proud of it.
Next time I am relaxing in the RV resorts swimming pool I will think of you parked in the middle of an ocean of blacktop.
To each their own!!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:57 AM   #46

Name: Alan
Trailer: Nomad
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
A whole lot of people who don't own RVs, also buy toilet paper, paper towels, etc.
My comments were regarding the sense of entitlement in some of the posts.
I wasn't making any judgments or anything. I should have been more careful about the reply. sorry about that.

I was just stating what happened to us.
alangranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:25 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
No offense taken. I was making a general comment.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #48

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
If something is free people will always find a way to screw it up.
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #49

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle of flight View Post
...I now use Freecampsites.net. I plan my trip looking for the free cam sites...
The need, as I'm understanding the majority of Walmart overnighters represented in this thread, is for places to park and sleep for an unplanned, late evening stop en route to a destination. They need to be nearby, wherever you happen to end up at 11pm, they need to be accessible without waking someone up (rules out driveway hosting), they need to be near major highways, and they need to have some level of security. Restrooms are handy but not essential.

Seems like the big travel centers could capitalize on the need. How about a fenced, gated parking lot for RVs, separate from big rigs? Limited lighting and security cameras. Pay inside and get a gate code to enter. Short walk to the 24-hour main building for restrooms, pay showers, and food. No camping, no hook-ups, just parking, 8-10 hour limit. How does $10-15, or $5-10 with a minimum fuel purchase, sound?

I guess as long as Walmart beats the price, it probably won't happen. But if free Walmart parking eventually goes away, seems like a business opportunity. I would pay a modest amount for a dedicated space and a measure of security.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:37 PM   #50

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
It does not seam to me that Walmart really cares. I have suggested to them multiple times over the years that they have a bay where they can change oil in the big rigs, tires for all RVs including tag along and 5th wheels etc and I'm just ignored. Just think of the business they would have within the camper world. Would be less costly than places like Camper World.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:12 PM   #51

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
In addition to all the reasons cited, it sounds like some have mistaken an opportunity to spend a night "Overnight" while passing through, to an opportunity to "boondock" at WalMart. I don't blame WalMart.

I bet they could tell you about gray tanks and more being dumped on their lots.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #52

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Another option is overnighting at a truck stop, like Pilot or TA or Flying J. We did that once, they are open 24 / 7, food, showers, fuel, restrooms, and WiFi. Asked permission and were told where to park. We did Walmart once also as it was late night and we got off route (lost). Went in, asked the manager if it was OK, he told us where to park, asked us what time we would be leaving in the morning so that he could pass that info on to the day manager.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:29 PM   #53

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
My viewpoint is similar to that of Jon in AZ. I have made overnight stops at Walmarts a few times in the middle of 1000 to 2000 mile treks. I would be happy to pay 10, 15 or even 20 dollars for this convenience. Before these treks, I do an online search to find and create a list of all convenient campgrounds near the freeway along my route, but often there are gaps where there aren't any campgrounds for a couple of hundred miles, or they are closed for winter, etc.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:30 PM   #54

Name: julie
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Exactly... but the easy way out is seldom the best.
I'll bet you'd want me to do the easiest method if I were fixing your brakes, right?
BTW; they all ban camping in the parking lot, Its overnight parking which is allowed. Like rating and capacity, words have meaning.

A good manager doesn't have to "keep track", he would be aware of what's going on around him and when it is appropriate to act.

I can see I have lost this argument and I see it again every time I seek quality help with anything. Second rate seems to be the highest standard anymore and Walmart may well be the best proof of that.

Pretty soon, you'll call to see your doctor and actually get a Nurse practitioner. Usually good enough... If he's not just seeking the easiest way to quitting time.
If so, it won't really matter if the hinges fall off your casket or if they bury it 5-1/2 feet under!

Floyd you have brought the wrath of an advanced practice nurse here. Nurse practitioners are independent practitioners in many states. Can provide equal & often times better health care. I could cite multitudes of scientific studies regarding practice outcomes. Anyway don't demean nurse practitioners & other advanced practice nurses.
julmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:02 PM   #55

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceskater10 View Post
The Walmart in Colorado Springs is now posting signs that say no Truck, RV or Trailer parking overnight. I thought they were RV friendly
::: What I suggest you do is go to the Service desk and ask them, they will tell you yay or nay and if nay the reason why. The town could have brought out a ordinance saying no parking in parking lots overnight, if this is the case your not going to park in any parking lot. Barstow had a similar case only it was the Manager of the store that stopped overnighters. took about 3 years and they got rid of that manager and the new one a lady was all for it so long as they came in and got permission for the Service people, but even they cannot fight a Ordinance. You can park long enough to go shopping and or have dinner but have to move on.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:13 PM   #56

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by julmar View Post
Floyd you have brought the wrath of an advanced practice nurse here. Nurse practitioners are independent practitioners in many states. Can provide equal & often times better health care. I could cite multitudes of scientific studies regarding practice outcomes. Anyway don't demean nurse practitioners & other advanced practice nurses.
My mother was an LPN back when they had RN duties, Two of my sisters are RNs, the third was a physical therapist. My daughter is a BSN. Love them all and all are/were very professional.

I am sure that a Nurse Practitioner can match many GPMDs today.
Just not sure that's a hot compliment!
I can't say that I am comfortable with any medical system which successfully sells the vast majority of prescription drugs over cable TV.

I can't see how I could have solicited your wrath unless you are one of those "just seeking the easiest way to quitting time"? (surely not so)
All this is, of course, tangent to the point of my post.

Shucks, now just imagine all the MDs whose wrath I have brought!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:30 PM   #57

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
::: What I suggest you do is go to the Service desk and ask them, they will tell you yay or nay and if nay the reason why. The town could have brought out a ordinance saying no parking in parking lots overnight, if this is the case your not going to park in any parking lot. Barstow had a similar case only it was the Manager of the store that stopped overnighters. took about 3 years and they got rid of that manager and the new one a lady was all for it so long as they came in and got permission for the Service people, but even they cannot fight a Ordinance. You can park long enough to go shopping and or have dinner but have to move on.
Stude
So how long does it take to have dinner or go shopping?
I know a few who can take days, are they chalking tires or do they have an app for that?

Old 09-13-2017, 08:03 PM   #58

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Way to go Julie
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:14 AM   #59

Registry
Quote:
Whadayabet you won't have a choice either way?
Old 09-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #60

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Lot of good post here pro & con. As someone whom have not gone camping yet, I can see using a parking lot with permission. As others have stated, sometimes you just need to rest. Someone will always take advantage of a good thing.
40 years ago I was a police officer. If a restaurant owner would give us a free meal, if you were smart, you kept it to your self. If not the business would be over whelmed with hungry officers & they would have to stop the kind offer.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote