Parking in a Field - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-29-2006, 07:21 PM   #1

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Since I moved back to my condo I've had to find commercial parking for my Fiber Stream. The going rates are between $45-$85 per month at most local commercial storage places. This afternoon I checked out an ad for secured parking for $35 per month. Turns out it is in a pasture on 15 acres behind a large mansion. The guy who said he was the owner of the property looks to be about 25 and who probably sold property up North and moved down here and bought a mansion that its taking 6 roomates to keep going. There are security camera all around and a gated entry. He was offering indoor parking with electric and water for $65 in his barn, but someone made him an offer for the entire barn and he's moving the one other tenant's jet ski into his garage.

My question is are there any special considerations I need to keep in mind if I agree to lease a space in what looks like a horse training paddock?

BTW: This guy is less than 5 miles from my condo. Most of the affordable commercial places take a minimum of an hour to get to in heavy traffic.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:28 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
are there any special considerations I need to keep in mind if I agree to lease a space in what looks like a horse training paddock?
Smelly mud?

I lived on horse property, it gets... gooey.

I got uncomfortable just reading your post, I have no clear reason to think so, but it doesn't sound like a good long term solution.

Just a gut feeling.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:49 PM   #3

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
The first law of real estate brokerage is written agreement, and the second is like unto it, get it in writing. I would want to know who is his insurer and does his policy cover damage/liability for the property and actions of others? What does your insurer think of this arrangement

It sounds as if he first rented space in the barn to one party and then rented the entire barn to a second party. If party one had a written agreement it probably would not have happened. Cover yourself. The written agreement should state precisely what you are getting, the cost, term of lease, and what benefit comes to you if the lessor wants to move you out.

Then, lastly, I want to know if you have 4-wheel drive?

Yes, I am licensed in Georgia for real estate.
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:57 PM   #4

Quote:
The first law of real estate brokerage is[b] written agreement, and the second is like unto it, [b]get it in writing. I would want to know who is his insurer and does his policy cover damage/liability for the property and actions of others? What does your insurer think of this arrangement

It sounds as if he first rented space in the barn to one party and then rented the entire barn to a second party. If party one had a written agreement it probably would not have happened. Cover yourself. The written agreement should state precisely what you are getting, the cost, term of lease, and what benefit comes to you if the lessor wants to move you out.

Then, lastly, I want to know if you have 4-wheel drive?

Yes, I am licensed in Georgia for real estate.
I told the guy I would get back to him by next Friday. [b]He said his insurance covers property damage excluding acts of God. He said he was quoted $330 a month for AOG because of the size of his property and the number of trees. He declined the coverage.

We discussed rates not a lease. Before we even got to that, I'd check county records to see if he actually owns the place. Doesn't mean I think its not possible. Such things do happen, especially in an area loaded with entertainers. He's just awfully young to have the layout I saw. Show business people and young poseurs with ambition are two groups with strong subcultures in the metro area. All of the mansion's tenants seemed to be driving Mercedes, Lexus and BMWs. There is a slang name I can't think of for the phenomena. It always makes me think of Marilyn Monroe/Lauren Bacall/Betty Grable film How to Marry a Millionaire.

Yep. I've got a v8 4-wheel drive.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:08 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Benita, several years ago I leased an outdoor parking spot in a secure RV lot owned by a development company. It was on the grounds of a senior housing development. Cost me a dollar a day. The fine print said the property owner was NOT liable for anything that happened to my trailer. I think this is pretty standard for this type of lease. Even big commercial companies like "Public Storage" hammer the information that they're not liable for the property of others. It's a crap shoot. Under the circumstances, I'd worry more about some fool backing into my trailer than someone stealing it. And yeah, animal paddocks can get really boggy in the rain.

Check around, see if you can find a development for senior living, like I used.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:28 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 17.5 ft Bigfoot (25B17.5G)
Registry
Land use laws could prevent this mansion-owner from developing this type of business on his property. Does he have a license to have this type of business? Once discovered by the city/county land use people, it could be forced to shut down.
Ron N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft ('Kermit' It's not easy being green!)
Parking in this guy's field sounds iffy---sort of a fly-by-night operation maybe?
debbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 02:25 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi, Benita ... your dilemma reminded me of a post by Donna D a while back when Drew60 began looking for secure storage. Donna suggested finding a senior with an empty garage space to fit your Egg ... win/win, as your trailer is stored and the senior has a bit more $$$. Hmmm, insurance concerns might still apply here, eh? Happy New Year - LdB
Old 01-01-2007, 11:37 AM   #9

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I wouldn't have posted if I was totally convinced the arrangement was a good idea. Sometimes you just need to say something out loud or post it to the world to realize how really brilliant you sound.

My condo has a monstrously huge 2-car garage. It doesn't happen to be tall enough to house my trailer. That's the case with most residential garages.

I do have a V8 4-wheel drive truck.

Thanks all and Happy New Year.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:43 AM   #10

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
If you have an extra stall in your garage, would it be worth the effort of pulling the tires off and rolling it in on dollies? Or is the body itself just too tall?

It would be a little bit of extra work, and you'd need to buy/make/have built the dollies, but you would also save the storage fees, and your trailer would be safe and sound at home, which means that you would have ready access to it all the time.

Just a thought.
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I wouldn't have posted if I was totally convinced the arrangement was a good idea. Sometimes you just need to say something out loud or post it to the world to realize how really brilliant you sound.

My condo has a monstrously huge 2-car garage. It doesn't happen to be tall enough to house my trailer. That's the case with most residential garages.

I do have a V8 4-wheel drive truck.

Thanks all and Happy New Year.
Would you be Party of the first Part, or Party of the second Part??? And if the owner is up to no good and the Authorities confiskated the property would you loose your trailer along with his paddock???Doesn't sound "Kosher" to me!!! Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote