Parkliner 20! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2017, 04:37 PM   #1
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Parkliner 20!

ParkLiner
Looks like Parkliner has new affiliations and is gearing up to release a new 20' model. Click the above Parkliner link and you know all I know about it.
Anyone have any additional information?
Sid
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:56 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Yet more pressure on Scamp and Casita to develop a larger trailer. I visited Casita factory last year, and suggested they really need to consider a 20 foot trailer to compete with Escape and others. They had 100 reasons why they couldn't do it......
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:41 PM   #3

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
That's really cool news. Only 2 weeks ago I asked them on their facebook page whether a longer trailer might be in the works at some point.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Yet more pressure on Scamp and Casita to develop a larger trailer. I visited Casita factory last year, and suggested they really need to consider a 20 foot trailer to compete with Escape and others. They had 100 reasons why they couldn't do it......
Actually it is good news for Scamp, as they may end up being the only trailers left in the genre. Nearly 70% of Scamp sales are 13s.
Casita may feel the pressure, leaving Scamp with a higher percentage of the market for small fiberglass trailers.
Unlike Scamp, Casita chose to quit the Patriot and discourage the 16'er, they may be left with two choices... up or out!

The Parkliner is a nice trailer, but with the recent price increases they may find themselves smack up against Oliver in price and size with a new 20'er and that's a pretty tough place to compete.

I really hope you are wrong! This reminds me of Ford thinking they could force the sale of F150s by dropping the Ranger...NOT!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:42 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Ever since the new 16' was reported seen at an rv show in Florida I have been checking their web site for more details. Not much there. You can read the announcements but based on what's presented they are still making a 15' single hull trailer. The pictures do show the new door so some progress has been made. Considering their history, and the competition, it doesn't impress. I will never buy an Oliver, it's just not my style. But the web site makes me want to see one. Kinda like looking at a Porsche brochure.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:23 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Actually it is good news for Scamp, as they may end up being the only trailers left in the genre. Nearly 70% of Scamp sales are 13s.
Casita may feel the pressure, leaving Scamp with a higher percentage of the market for small fiberglass trailers.
Unlike Scamp, Casita chose to quit the Patriot and discourage the 16'er, they may be left with two choices... up or out!

The Parkliner is a nice trailer, but with the recent price increases they may find themselves smack up against Oliver in price and size with a new 20'er and that's a pretty tough place to compete.

I really hope you are wrong! This reminds me of Ford thinking they could force the sale of F150s by dropping the Ranger...NOT!
Actually they won't be as we will continue to make the 13 HC1 into the foreseeable future even as we have plans to introduce a larger trailer as soon as this summer.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:17 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Actually they won't be as we will continue to make the 13 HC1 into the foreseeable future even as we have plans to introduce a larger trailer as soon as this summer.
Most competitors have 16' and 17' trailers. Maybe you can "one-up" them by making an 18'er.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:41 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Most competitors have 16' and 17' trailers. Maybe you can "one-up" them by making an 18'er.
Yes Mike 18/19/20 / 25 where does it end .getting ever more larger brings with it a whole lot of other dilemma's such as tow weight/ larger tv's / limited camping spots among others things discussed many times here on many different threads.maybee we can hit the sweet spot.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:36 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Yes Mike 18/19/20 / 25 where does it end .getting ever more larger brings with it a whole lot of other dilemma's such as tow weight/ larger tv's / limited camping spots among others things discussed many times here on many different threads.maybee we can hit the sweet spot.
If you can afford a 23 ft Oliver then buying a tow vehicle wth an adequate tow rating is not a dilemma . I see thousands of large trailers , 5th wheels and motorhomes on the road so either they are able to find a place to camp or they just drive around continuously.
I've had hundreds of people tour my Casita and the common response is " It's cute but too small for us".
Normally we are the smallest trailer in any campgrounds
and often smaller than some tents.

The sweetspot is different for everyone . I wish you luck in your endeavor.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:33 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Normally we are the smallest trailer in any campgrounds
and often smaller than some tents.

The sweetspot is different for everyone . I wish you luck in your endeavor.
You are exactly right, the sweet spot is subjective.
You must feel small until we show up!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:32 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Parkliner's challenge is that 20' is still pretty small compared to the broader travel trailer market. Convincing buyers in higher price brackets to accept a wet bath and crawl-over bed is tough. There are those who value the advantages of all-molded construction over size and features, but it is a niche market.

But who knows, since no details have been announced- if the packaging in the 20' is as clever as the original, perhaps Parkliner has found a way to include a walk-around bed and dry bath...

Last year at Carlsbad Beach we camped next to a couple from NM with one of the Whitewater Retro stickies (177SE). They had recently sold a Scamp 16 and this was their first trip in the new trailer. Bottom line is the husband was missing the Scamp, but his wife really wanted the walk-around queen bed.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:14 AM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

Last year at Carlsbad Beach we camped next to a couple from NM with one of the Whitewater retro-styled stickies (177SE). They had recently sold a Scamp 16 and this was their first trip in the new trailer. Bottom line is the husband was missing the Scamp, but his wife really wanted the walk-around queen bed.
We got in a Whitewater Retro at a rally last year. Wife still talks about it. Some clever innovations in it, large fridge, and the walk around bed was nice. Wonder about the quality of construction.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:19 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
We got in a Whitewater Retro at a rally last year. Wife still talks about it. Some clever innovations in it, large fridge, and the walk around bed was nice. Wonder about the quality of construction.
You can fit a lot of things when it's 8' wide! For towing, it's sure nice to have something that slots in neatly behind the tug. Trade-offs.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:32 AM   #14
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
For towing, it's sure nice to have something that slots in neatly behind the tug.
A few years back I had to drive over a bridge being repaired. The lane had jersey barriers set 9 feet apart. Once to the gas station and once back to the on ramp.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:55 PM   #15

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
This is interesting, if not vaporware or a marketing misprint. A larger Parkliner, built with quality construction and fairly priced would interest me. I would like to buy from someone 3000 or so miles closer to me.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:51 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I for one cannot erase Parkliner's past bad reputation from my memory. Has the Leopard changed it spots or is this just another example of slick marketing . If Parkliner is going to compete with Oliver , there will need to be a considerable price point difference and a large step up in guality . Oliver is a known entity and the reincarnated Parkliner is not . Too risky for me but others may be more adventurous.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:57 PM   #17

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I imagine myself starting to think about a trailer size upgrade in about 8 or so years from now, by which time I'm figuring most of the early bumps in this Parkliner will be smoothed out, and if it's a well designed trailer I can pick up a gently used one.

I really do appreciate the marvelous quality of Escape, and their 19 would be high on my list, but they're a million miles away from me, and I just really dislike their oak interior. I'm excited for the possibility that Parkliner could produce a solid quality trailer at a fair price point whose interior I won't hate looking at.

And well, hopefully the new management is going to be more on top of design flaws.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:07 PM   #18
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Little Guy who used to make the T@B camper that we sold last year is the company that's now called Liberty Outdoors. They sold the T@B line to Nu Camp and acquired Parkliner. Apparently, they're still doing a type of Teardrop, as well as the retro Scotty. It seems to me like they just want to make to several different kinds instead of focusing on 1 style. I hope they do well.
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:11 PM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I saw an ad for them a "Coming Soon", the 2018s and they were talking MSRP of $39,972 with a list price of $29,995 and the photo was of a smaller one. Yeah, I don't see myself being attracted to that price.

Also saw a 2017 at a dealer online in FL and the price was $32,999. Not promoting this, but is the only place that I found photos of the inside: 2017 Parkliner BY LITTLE GUY FIBERGLASS GELCOAT, Travel Trailers RV For Sale in Inverness, Florida | Como RV ORDER | RVT.com - 101988 To me, that is a LOT of money, more than I could ever consider paying. I prefer the "classics".
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:45 PM   #20

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
If it's new owners and a new design, I'm kind of surprised they didn't change the name instead of bringing all the old baggage forward.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner