Parkliner changes - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-01-2017, 09:12 AM   #41

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I, too, am interested in what kind of insulation Parkliner will use between the inner and outer hull. Does anyone know what Oliver uses?
This man can show us...

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:30 AM   #42

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Thanks, Mike. That's kind of what I thought- looks like Reflectix or something similar- and I expect Parkliner will do the same.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:01 AM   #43
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Exactly. Yuck. Just yuck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Several of the parks in our area public and private only allow the dumping of cassette toilets at the dump station. Pit toilets and restrooms are not intended for or designed for this purpose.
According to one Park Ranger I spoke with they have had people attempt to dump their cassette toilets in restroom sinks and shower stalls . The fault lies not with the cassette toilet , an inatimate object but with careless / thoughtless individuals
Quote:
I agree Steve, but it sets up a problem which doesn't need to exist. I'm still baffled as to how it's "better". Handling human waste by hand dumping it from a container? Nope, not me.

Now, I have seen some composting toilets used by folks who camp for extended periods, and I find them a workable solution. But the porta potties and cassette containers not so much.
I have never had anything other than a porta potti. When I bought it I measured the home toilet and bought one that was the same size. I have dumped it in toilets both my own and on the road. I've dumped it in outhouses and I've dumped it at dump stations. I never wears gloves, no need. I have never gotten any waste on me or anywhere other than where it is suppose to go. I use single ply toilet paper and a cap full of the blue stuff to break it down and keep things smelling good. The potti sits neatly under the bed until needed. When it comes time to dump I separate the two halves, remove the cap from the dumping tube, position it over the hole and push the button. No mess, no yuck.

As far as messes are concerned the worst place to dump can be the dump station. I would suggest there is enough blame to go around as Ive seen some pretty big messes like when the guy in front of me just opened the tanks with no slinky. I guess that's why many dump stations now post instructions.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:04 AM   #44

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I would suggest there is enough blame to go around as Ive seen some pretty big messes like when the guy in front of me just opened the tanks with no slinky. I guess that's why many dump stations now post instructions.
Well that's true. Sometimes you can't fix stupid, even with posted instructions. [emoji23]
Old 07-01-2017, 11:20 AM   #45

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
Not really. The toilet flushes waste into the cassette which is mounted in a separate compartment. It uses water to flush and the bowl has a seal that keeps the cassette compartment isolated from the bowl. Keeps odors out and bowl from smelling bad! In effect, the cassette functions as a small black tank with a different method of dumping.
So its a glorified portapotti??
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:35 AM   #46
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Well that's true. Sometimes you can't fix stupid, even with posted instructions. [emoji23]
Probably the same guy that dumped his porta pot in Steve's outhouse
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:05 PM   #47

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Yep, a cassette toilet is a porta potty minus the porta. Well, the tank is still portable, just not the rest.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:20 PM   #48

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
OK...now I'm seriously considering the new Parkliner but am interested in the old one and the air conditioner under the bench. Do those of you who currently have this AC have comments on how well it works in hot, humid summer weather? The new one is placing the Dometic on the roof.
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:46 PM   #49

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
the old parkliner with the a/c under the bench was notoriously not a good idea. Not enough venting to the rear to properly cool. That could be changed with better venting, a fan back there or possibly a pop up door and a slide out drawer thing to slide the whole a/c unit out for proper cooling.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:28 PM   #50

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Yes the news bit, or their facebook said the Old AC leaked on the floor, hence re-design. Can't remember for sure...Thinking their facebook now. I like the dealer network and non wood floor now.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:39 PM   #51

Name: Mary
Trailer: Parkliner; TV 2012 Nissan Murano
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
OK...now I'm seriously considering the new Parkliner but am interested in the old one and the air conditioner under the bench. Do those of you who currently have this AC have comments on how well it works in hot, humid summer weather? The new one is placing the Dometic on the roof.
I have the old design with the A/C near the floor. I don't have any water leaking. I think ParkLiner replied to the poster who complained about water leaking an instructed them to make sure the camper is level so water can flow as intended.

The A/C works but it could be stronger. The new one will probably be much better and I gather from the above posts that just the fact that it'll be on the roof will make it more efficient. ParkLiner will not be manufacturing the old models anymore, so if that's what you end up wanting, you'll have to buy used.
MaryNJWildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:37 PM   #52

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryNJWildlife View Post
The A/C works but it could be stronger. The new one will probably be much better and I gather from the above posts that just the fact that it'll be on the roof will make it more efficient.
Roof mounted will definitely do a better job of cooling, but trust me, that comes with a serious negative - and that's noise. Roof mounted (and of course unducted on a fiberglass trailer) AC units make quite a roar. We are cool as a cucumber, but the noise level is much higher than we'd like.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:51 AM   #53

Name: star
Trailer: Parkliner
South Carolina
Quote:
I have the old design with the A/C near the floor. I don't have any water leaking. I think ParkLiner replied to the poster who complained about water leaking an instructed them to make sure the camper is level so water can flow as intended.

The A/C works but it could be stronger. The new one will probably be much better and I gather from the above posts that just the fact that it'll be on the roof will make it more efficient. ParkLiner will not be manufacturing the old models anymore, so if that's what you end up wanting, you'll have to buy used.
Having spent three days at Aiken State Park in 90°+ weather and no shade, the ac worked okay until the hottest part of the day. It does need to be bigger. When ever I replace mine I am going with 8000-10,000 btu's. I am also going to look for one with a better vent design. The old fashion one that has better direction control. For now I might try a fan behind the ac unit and look for a piece of plastic to redirect the airflow up. In my yard experments, having shade goes a long way helping the ac on 90°+ days.
starsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:14 AM   #54

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
If the thud sound of the a/c coming on is a bother I have found that MicorAire has a soft start unit called the 334 that works great. I installed one last week on a 2015 Coleman Mach8 - 4 wires - 1 hour to do and the start up thud is gone. The amps to start the a/c are now supposed to be in the 18amp area - easy enough to start and run the a/c with the 2000W Honda generator on eco mode. The compressor ramps up to speed vs. shocking it to work. Now the compressor start is silent and the only thing that can be heard is the constant running of the inside fan and the slight sound of the compressor cutting off when cycling. I also have the OMW hush kit for the outside noise which makes this Mach8 as quiet as any roof top a/c out there.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:01 AM   #55

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
A friend that owns a Parkliner with the front mount A/C made a modification that allowed it to work much better. Haven't seen him on here in some time, or in person either. Try searching under Brian M.
EDIT: could be Brian M. in NY
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:05 AM   #56

Name: Mary
Trailer: Parkliner; TV 2012 Nissan Murano
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
A friend that owns a Parkliner with the front mount A/C made a modification that allowed it to work much better. Haven't seen him on here in some time, or in person either. Try searching under Brian M.
EDIT: could be Brian M. in NY
Could you help me figure out how to do a search on this site?
MaryNJWildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:30 AM   #57

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
There seems to be a lot of misinformation on here about the cassette toilet.
I just read an article from a RV magazine about dumping regular black tanks. There were statements like holding the hose under the valve to catch any leaks after taking the hose loose. Using a clear adapter so you wont take the hose loose before the tank is empty. How to get stuck solids out of the slinky. Wheew! The cassette is easy to use. Just slide it out, carry to dump point or toilet. It is completely sealed until you rotate the spout and take off the spout lid. You place the spout in the toilet or dump pipe and push the button. After dumping add a little water, rinse and pour it out again. Add your chem, close and slid it back into the port. Very easy and clean. Some of you would rather deal with black tanks. That is OK with me. I just get tired of the constant misinformation by advocators of the old system.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:41 AM   #58

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The nice thing about cassette toilets, other than convenience, is the ease of using one in the winter. My cassette in my T@da had it's own supply tank, so in the winter I'd use automotive windshield washer antifreeze to flush with. Too bad Parkliner's set up is connected to the trailer's water supply, makes this adaptability harder to accomplish.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:46 AM   #59

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Here is a picture of the Thetford cassette tank.

Mine is an earlier model without the wheels.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:02 AM   #60

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Quote:

Thanks, Mary. I re-read my question and realized I bumbled it! I think I may have confused everyone. I am anxiously awaiting the new Parkliner to appear at a local dealer. Since they've been built with the under-seat AC in the past, I wondered if I should ask them if that configuration is still available. I hate making holes in the roof but that's just me.
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner