ParkLiner Concerns from a previous owner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #21

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Don't forget the EggCamper, with a 6'7" interior height. LIGHTWEIGHT FIBERGLASS TRAVEL TRAILER
Old 05-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaK View Post
Not only is the ParkLiner truly 6'5" inside, we figured out a way to use the queen bed as a king bed (which also meant one of us didn't have to crawl over the other at night!) and that was a definite plus. Each particular trailer seems to have its own unique qualities; how could there possibly be one "perfect" trailer for everyone, when each of us has uniquely different needs in a trailer? The husband of the couple that bought our ParkLiner was 6'4" and he was thrilled to be able to stand up in the trailer! That was the deciding factor for them and anything else was "fixable!"

Happy trails,
Linda
Good for you for being so upfront with prospective buyers, Linda! Some folks would hang fire on such things until the unit was safely sold...

I understand that you were also kind enough to let Thom and Cari look your Parkliner over before they ordered their new one and I'm sure they appreciated the heads-up(s), too!

Francesca
Old 05-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #23

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Just finished reading this thread and i'll add some observations in context.

These are specific to our Parkliner #035 who came off the line April 9, 2013...your millage may vary. I will be adding to my gallery/album later on tonight.

1) Tire Rub. Issue is on its way to be resolved. I had the crew at the local tire center test some tires and they found a nice set of LT/Trailer 185/r14 8 ply with an ~1850lb capacity with nice clearance in the well. When Chandler called me the next day after my testing, i asked him what size tire was on the way...It was like i was hearing the tire center crew yell out the numbers all over again. So i was pleased with the _fix_ Chandler had come up with since i have trusted this particular tire center for about 20 years and putting wheels/tires on half a dozen rigs for us without issue.

2) Battery area: I will post pictures in my album but i think i must have something very unique to the Parkliners?? You see i have a battery bay that has two compartments; the aft compartment exactly fits two blue top sc34dm dual purpose AGM Marine batteries (with about ~1" wiggle room), then in the next compartment is the converter/inverter. Nothing is going anywhere in this box.
a PS on the AGM batteries...I've seen these same batteries in the bilge of power boats and sailboats with engine right next to stock batteries...with no _box_ between or vents. . . right from the manufacturers with USCG approval.

3) Fresh Water Tank: I will post a close up tonight in my album, but this tank has a valve for emptying tank immediately aft of the tank that is located at the rear curb-side corner. Remember also this tank location was at our request, and Chandler was happy to oblige and did a great job!

4) Grey tank: Yes ours has the metal banding. <(I look under nearly every trailer at RV shows...You would be surprised at how many rigs have this same system in place!) And so did our A-Liner! And it's tank was the same size and i've (crazily) pulled it full of grey since i was not able to empty the tank for many miles down the highway. I might ask our local RV shop for a recommendation.

5) Besides the one fresh water pump, and the one shower bilge pump, there are NO other systems (besides the 7 LED lamps) in our rig. Very, very simple rig for off-grid entertaining and relaxing.

6) Door Locks: Ours has a residential Schlange door lock plus matching deadbolt...it is honestly the nicest door hardware i've seen on an RV entrance door!

So there you have it. AND i will repeat once again (in harmony with some others), I only want the best for Chandler, Parkliner, and its customers. AND i am happy to be a Parkliner owner and that Cari and i had the vision to be early adopters...even with the _issues_.

Cheers,
Thom

PS...just saw Francesca's post...yes we were sooooo happy to see their early PL!
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
Old 05-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
Just finished reading this thread and i'll add some observations in context.

These are specific to our Parkliner #035 who came off the line April 9, 2013...you millage may vary. I will be adding to my gallery/album later on tonight.

1) Tire Rub. Issue is on its way to be resolved. I had the crew at the local tire center test some tires and they found a nice set of LT/Trailer 185/r14 8 ply with an ~1850lb capacity with nice clearance in the well. When Chandler called me the next day after my testing, i asked him what size tire was on the way...It was like i was hearing the tire center crew yell out the numbers all over again. So i was pleased with the _fix_ Chandler had come up with since i have trusted this particular tire center for about 20 years and putting wheels/tires on half a dozen rigs for us without issue.

2) Battery area: I will post pictures in my album but i think i must have something very unique to the Parkliners?? You see i have a battery bay that has two compartments; the aft compartment exactly fits two blue top group 27 dual purpose AGM Marine batteries (with about ~1" wiggle room), then in the next compartment is the converter/inverter. Nothing is going anywhere in this box.

3) Fresh Water Tank: I will post a close up tonight in my album, but this tank has a valve for emptying tank immediately aft of the tank that is located at the rear curb-side corner. Remember also this tank location was at our request, and Chandler was happy to oblige and did a great job!

4) Grey tank: Yes ours has the metal banding. But then so did our A-Liner! And it's tank was the same size and i've (crazily) pulled it full of grey since i was not able to empty the tank for many miles down the highway. I might ask our local RV shop for a recommendation.

5) Besides the one fresh water pump, and the one shower bilge pump, there are NO other systems (besides the 7 LED lamps) in our rig. Very, very simple rig for off-grid entertaining and relaxing.

So there you have it. AND i will repeat once again (in harmony with some others), I only want the best for Chandler, Parkliner, and its customers. AND i am happy to be a Parkliner owner and that Cari and i had the vision to be early adopters...even with the _issues_.

Cheers,
Thom
The only thing I see here that's a possible problem in the battery location. In the other thread the OP indicated that liquid was coming out of both batteries. That liquid is not contained in an acid proof container like it would be in a battery box. Sulfuric Acid is pretty strong stuff and can cause burns, eat through fabric and many other things.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
Cheers,
Thom

PS...just saw Francesca's post...yes we were sooooo happy to see their early PL!
I should have added to that post that in my opinion welding an axle on is NOT a defect. Also per the axle: it's probably useful to point out for the record that the early Parkliner in this thread probably has the Flexiride axle which seems not to have the tire rub issue.

Francesca
Old 05-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I should have added to that post that in my opinion welding an axle on is NOT a defect. Also per the axle: it's probably useful to point out for the record that the early Parkliner in this thread probably has the Flexiride axle which seems not to have the tire rub issue.

Francesca
Yes, our ParkLiner had the Flexiride axle and therefore, no tire rub issue. However, we did note the small amount of room in the wheel well area and that was a concern. Smaller tires than the ones that are rubbing will definitely make a difference for those who have this issue.

Concerning the issue of welding a torsion axle directly to the trailer frame (and the floor frame as well, in the case of the ParkLiner): in all of the research we have done concerning this issue, the torsion frame is meant to be attached with brackets that are then welded or bolted to the frame. ParkLiner welds the torsion axle directly; no brackets. The problem with welding the actual torsion axle is that the heat from the welding can damage the rubber components that are inside the axle and this can degrade the integrity of the axle itself. We have found this on numerous technical welding sites as well as on torsion axle manufacturers' sites. It is simply not a good practice. Not only that, if there is a problem with the axle down the road (and many older trailers do have to have their axles replaced), the axle has to be "un-welded" from the frame. Much more practical to have the plates that can then be unbolted rather than having to remove direct welds to the frame. Older Scamps had axles welded to the frame like this; apparently, they don't do that now. They use the brackets and attach them that way.

All of our concerns are not necessarily others' concerns. I know that a number of the things we were dealing with on our early model have been changed in more current models. That was not our main issue with the trailer. As I said earlier, most, if not all, of the issues we had could have been fixed.

Our biggest issue, and this is based on OUR personal experience, was with the lack of support and help that we got from Chandler. I hope that others haven't had or don't have those issues. We did. I have a pile of emails and notes from phone calls that were not answered; I also have emails from Chandler promising to send the package for us that was sitting on his desk "next week." That took 5 months and it did not have the items in it that were promised. We received a template to fix our door frame (because Chandler told us that he was concerned about the integrity and longevity of the frame on our door; he had fixed later models and made them stronger) with a promise that we would get instructions for how to make the change. The instructions never came. He said he would send us a potty hatch with the hardware for installing it. The hardware did not come. We asked what sized rivets to use so that Pete could install it. We never got an answer; luckily, Pete guessed correctly. We asked for photos of the more current set-up for the propane line (ours came through the inside of the trailer and we were concerned about the safety of that) so that we could have that fixed. Those photos never came. We offered to pay for items and shipping; we just wanted a little help. What we did receive was minimal and incomplete. We didn't want to say anything about any of this publicly; we told Chandler that we wanted to make our trailer more up to his current standard before we showed it to anyone. He said he greatly appreciated that because he had made improvements and he would help us to get it to that point. We kept the trailer a secret from good friends, didn't take it camping, didn't say a word about any of this on any forums. We just waited and tried to fix what we could without the support. The issues I mention here and the list of concerns in my other posts are not all of what we have been working on; just the most important ones. Actually, though, the propane regulator that was on our ParkLiner was a single stage regulator (used on propane barbecues) and not safe to use if you have more than one propane item attached (we had a stove and a propane water heater). Pete fixed that by installing a dual stage regulator (with cover) and found a much better way to attach it.

I am glad that Accrete and others love their ParkLiners. I hope the business thrives and I hope customer service and support continues to improve. I hope no one else has to go through what we did.

I am not trying to cause the "demise" of ParkLiner, nor am I saying that our issues are common to anyone else. Each owner of any given trailer has their own needs and priorities. I was simply sharing our experience. It was frustrating for us to go through this; it was hard to be patient after waiting for 5 months and then to not have instructions or photos or hardware, not to mention some of the items that were promised, was disheartening. Period.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #27

Name: Carol
Trailer: Undecided
Illinois
Quote:
Our biggest issue, and this is based on OUR personal experience, was with the lack of support and help that we got from Chandler.
Linda, I appreciate your letting us know of the issues you have had. I think most of us who have purchased or ordered a PL have experienced this lack of support, which is one of the problems associated with many small, start-up companies. I think it would help us all to hear from Chandler himself how he's planning to address the support issue. To my way of thinking, it would be beneficial if he pushed back the production schedule to focus on getting the support issue resolved. If I was currently evaluating trailers (instead of waiting to take delivery of my PL) this type of thread would most likely cause me to look at other manufacturers. It takes so long to build a good reputation, but it can so quickly become tarnished.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #28

Registry
Quote:
Our biggest issue, and this is based on OUR personal experience, was with the lack of support and help that we got from Chandler. I hope that others haven't had or don't have those issues. We did. I have a pile of emails and notes from phone calls that were not answered; I also have emails from Chandler promising to send the package for us that was sitting on his desk "next week." That took 5 months and it did not have the items in it that were promised. We received a template to fix our door frame (because Chandler told us that he was concerned about the integrity and longevity of the frame on our door; he had fixed later models and made them stronger) with a promise that we would get instructions for how to make the change. The instructions never came. He said he would send us a potty hatch with the hardware for installing it. The hardware did not come. We asked what sized rivets to use so that Pete could install it. We never got an answer; luckily, Pete guessed correctly. We asked for photos of the more current set-up for the propane line (ours came through the inside of the trailer and we were concerned about the safety of that) so that we could have that fixed. Those photos never came. We offered to pay for items and shipping; we just wanted a little help. What we did receive was minimal and incomplete. We didn't want to say anything about any of this publicly; we told Chandler that we wanted to make our trailer more up to his current standard before we showed it to anyone. He said he greatly appreciated that because he had made improvements and he would help us to get it to that point. We kept the trailer a secret from good friends, didn't take it camping, didn't say a word about any of this on any forums. We just waited and tried to fix what we could without the support. It was frustrating for us to go through this; it was hard to be patient after waiting for 5 months and then to not have instructions or photos or hardware, not to mention some of the items that were promised, was disheartening. Period.

I'm totally lost...especially when it comes to the necessity for "secrecy"- who hides a trailer purchase from their friends???

Did you buy this trailer new from Parkliner, or is it something you bought on spec used and for resale (hopefully at a profit)???

I ask because it seems to me an important distinction if this is to be a conversation about "customer support"....

Thanks!

Francesca, at sea as usual
Old 05-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #29

Name: carleen
Trailer: On epic search for Eriba
Texas
Thank you to everyone who has posted information for current and future Parkliner owners (hopefully me). My husband is 6'2" and change and we are considering one.

The debate that is going on in this thread is the best information I have ever gotten on an RV website.

Parkliner needs to know.
Potential buyers need to know.
If Chandler takes action, we will all win.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #30

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
.......................I am not trying to cause the "demise" of ParkLiner, nor am I saying that our issues are common to anyone else. ..........
For a person not trying to cause the demise of ParkLiner, you sure are laying it on thick. Give the guy a break. You've moved on.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #31

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
For a person not trying to cause the demise of ParkLiner, you sure are laying it on thick. Give the guy a break. You've moved on.

I'm with Tom on this.... let it rest. You weren't happy...stop rehashing it.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 05-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #32

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Francesca, Linda indicated in post #16 this thread that her ParkLiner was purchased from a previous owner. She is entitled to what she was promised but perhaps not warranty work unless a transferable warranty was in force at the time.

Linda has told her story; those most directly concerned have had ample opportunity to state their viewpoint of ParkLiner's growing pains. I hope no one here will, intentionally or not, stumble on a way to introduce acrimony and protracted debate. It is what it is, folks and we might as well keep smilin.

Jack
Closed Thread

Tags
parkliner