Parkliner Weight Distribution Kit - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-01-2017, 10:10 AM   #15

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
We pulled our new (last October) Parkliner home, with no WDH or Sway bar, and no problems. those gadgets only add more dead weight.
If your Murano is front wheel drive you need to avoid too much weight in the rear.
Two problems here. You don't say what you used to tow the trailer, which makes the first paragraph quite useless.
And, you contradict yourself by pointing out the issue of too much weight on the rear axle, which is what a weight distribution hitch corrects.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:00 AM   #16

Name: dave
Trailer: looking at Parkliner,04 Honda Odyssey
Pennsylvania
Wayne and Mary, We tow with an 04 Honda Odyssey (350 max tongue, 3500 max total). We too would be happier with weight distribution and sway control. We do have air assist for the rear of the van. Good idea to actually see the real world fully loaded tongue weight of the camper as it may be more than advertised. We have contacted a LittleGuy dealer in Maryland about the new Parkliner. He said they would have one to show in June. Also whoever responds to the blog posts on Parkliner's website said no more RV shows this year. So no more 'show special price'? How has your overall Parkliner experience been so far?

Old 04-01-2017, 11:02 AM   #17

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Quote:
We pulled our new (last October) Parkliner home, with no WDH or Sway bar, and no problems. those gadgets only add more dead weight.
Keep a steady hand on your steering wheel, and make sure the ballmount is tight in the receiver. Any looseness can aggravate sway.
As others have said, pay attention to weight distribution in the trailer and Tow Vehicle. If your Murano is front wheel drive you need to avoid too much weight in the rear.

Sorry, I meant to say that our TV is a 2013 Toyota Highlander, V6 4WD.
although a WDH does shift some weight toward the front axle, it adds to the total weight which takes more gas to move, slows you down on the uphill grades and more work for the brakes on the downhills./wc
Old 04-01-2017, 11:15 AM   #18

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaco View Post
Wayne and Mary, We tow with an 04 Honda Odyssey (350 max tongue, 3500 max total). We too would be happier with weight distribution and sway control. We do have air assist for the rear of the van. Good idea to actually see the real world fully loaded tongue weight of the camper as it may be more than advertised. We have contacted a LittleGuy dealer in Maryland about the new Parkliner. He said they would have one to show in June. Also whoever responds to the blog posts on Parkliner's website said no more RV shows this year. So no more 'show special price'? How has your overall Parkliner experience been so far?
Have only slept in it the 5 nights we took to visit friends in NC, and the 1000 mile trip back home in November. The weather was pleasantly mild then.
We found a number of issues with it, which I was able to fix myself. Parkliner was willing to compensate me for time and materials. they said that they were using my list of "problems" to develop a final assembly checklist to assure no repeats.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:11 PM   #19

Name: John
Virginia
We picked up our PL in October 2016. No Antisway or weight distribution needed. I've only found that I get anything like wobble on the road if I exceed 65 mph on occasional roads (and my wife gives me grief if I exceed 65 anyway).

I-73 from Greensboro to Ellerbe NC affects my PL differently than any other road I've had it on. And it's only on the northbound side - twice now, both fall and spring. But even on this road its fine up to 65 mph, even in spring wind.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:54 PM   #20

Name: Denis
Trailer: trillium 15
Ontario
to sway or not to sway

Hi Mary . I think that common sence . Goes a lot further than any equipment . Perhaps the sway bar would be a good idea . They are not that expensive , And i know from experience they do help . But nothing can take the place of good judgement . Keep the speed at what is comfortable for YOU . You will do fine im sure .
Old 04-01-2017, 01:28 PM   #21

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
When I spoke with Frank (?) on a Sunday back in 2015, as he was showing off his demonstration Parkliner, I mentioned Lil Snoozy aerodynamic bottom design eliminating the need for sway bars, and he promptly claimed the samedesign for Parkliner.
Regarding Baltimore Harbor Tunnel, does anyone know if my all-electric Snoozy gets a pass?
Old 04-01-2017, 01:39 PM   #22

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Sorry, I meant to say that our TV is a 2013 Toyota Highlander, V6 4WD.
although a WDH does shift some weight toward the front axle, it adds to the total weight which takes more gas to move, slows you down on the uphill grades and more work for the brakes on the downhills./wc
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 V8 and a 2013 Casita 17 ft SD.
I use a WDH and a friction sway bar . I think my trailer tows better
with the WDH plus my fuel mileage has not been affected one bit nor has my braking ability . Just my experience !
Old 04-01-2017, 04:43 PM   #23

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
When I spoke with Frank (?) on a Sunday back in 2015, as he was showing off his demonstration Parkliner, I mentioned Lil Snoozy aerodynamic bottom design eliminating the need for sway bars, and he promptly claimed the samedesign for Parkliner.
Regarding Baltimore Harbor Tunnel, does anyone know if my all-electric Snoozy gets a pass?
As long as they don't count the extra couple inches of fender sticking out past the wheels, I bet you'll be ok.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:42 PM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
...Regarding Baltimore Harbor Tunnel, does anyone know if my all-electric Snoozy gets a pass?
It should, but it might invite being pulled over and checked. Anything that looks like an RV might be assumed to have LP on board. Contact information to double check is here. If it's not a windy day, the Francis Scott Key Bridge gives nicer views of the harbor and the industrial heart of Baltimore.

Mike, the 8' width restriction only applies to the Harbor tunnel (I-895), which I would avoid in any case- it's a mess right now, very rough, under renovation. The Ft. McHenry tunnel (I-95) has no special width restriction. I apologize for confusing the names. When I lived there the Harbor tunnel was the only tunnel and I-95 was routed through it.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:27 PM   #25

Name: Mary
Trailer: Parkliner; TV 2012 Nissan Murano
New Jersey
Update

Well, my son and I picked up our new Parkliner 2 weeks ago. There was really no sway to speak of. We drove through downpours, up and down hills, highways and back roads. Tom Bass explained that the sides have a 3 degree curve that is supposed to eliminate "push" when big rigs pass by. It was amazing how well it worked. On Route 81 there are lots of big rigs. The entire time I felt a little push just once, by a big bus. I did notice the back end of the SUV sinking quite a bit, so we shifted weight out of the back of the SUV and to the back of the camper. That helped distribute the weight. I see no room on the tongue for installing a weight distribution kit, and sway was not an issue, so I think this issue is resolved. The camper is an absolute charm. I think I'm in love there are no mechanical or technical problems at all. I know people had some problems back when the company started 5 years ago, but that's history and I hope people can let it go at this point.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:25 AM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Congratulations, Mary! Hope you have many happy journeys in your Parkliner.

I would caution against moving too much weight to the back of the trailer. It is possible to get the tongue too light. Tongue weight should be 10-12% of total weight for stable towing. At some point it would be good to check your loaded real-world weight and tongue weight. (If you do, I hope you'll post in the Trailer Weights in the Real World thread- it'll help the next person.)

I would still recommend a friction sway bar. I know you didn't experience any sway under normal conditions, which is as should be. The sway bar is for the unusual and unexpected- like when you have to swerve and brake suddenly going down a curved mountain grade to avoid a boulder, or something like that.

Best wishes!
Old 05-09-2017, 06:30 AM   #27

Name: Mary
Trailer: Parkliner; TV 2012 Nissan Murano
New Jersey
Thank you, Jon!
Old 05-09-2017, 07:14 AM   #28

Iowa
Welcome to the "Club". Your experience mirrors ours. It tows very well.
Did you find that the safety chains are too long? I took mine off and cut them shorter to fit our hookup. It is actually just one long chain attached with one bolt so I only had to cut it once.
Safe Travels.

Tags
parkliner, weight