Parks refusing "Old" trailers? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #15

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Should we make a list of these restricted parks when we encounter them, so others can avoid them?

CindyL
Yes, I think we should. Not in a hateful way but just as a reminder not to stop there.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #16

Trailer: 1971 Compact Jr-Half Ton Of Fun!
I am sure, the way things are looking now, that at any given time I will have some part on my Compact Jr that was made in the current year. So would I really be fibbing too much to say the camper is newer than it is?

Old 09-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #17

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Discrimination of any kind is not bothersome or hurtful when included... only when excluded.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
good idea, sooner they stop the sooner we benefit
Old 09-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #19

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
bolerama/fiberglass meets to educate in listed parks?

Hard to hide the age of a boler but know of the problems.
They worry about brake down and wreck left behind; seen stick builds not safe to pull in a park.
As to the new parts idea we all have many new parts inside like the hot water tank in mine.
Would be good to have a list of places to avoid on trips; l for one would not want to be turned away at night.
Could be done by Prov or state
Then maybe bolerama/fiberglass meets to educate in listed parks?
Old 09-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #20

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Again, if they want to turn away eye sores or potential trash heaps in their parks, understandable. Just blanket outlawing 10 year old trailers is just plain ridiculous. Especially given the huge interest in vintage RVing these days and the amazing restorations that are out there.

I'd say a list wouldn't hurt. Might even be fun to stop by parks on the list in a nice clean 30 year old egg and see if they let you stay. Perhaps then telling them you changed your mind, the place looks too stuffy and stuck up for your taste.

A list of really good and really bad parks in general sounds like a useful database.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #21

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
A list of really good and really bad parks in general sounds like a useful database.
You mean like this?
RV Park Reviews :: Home
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #22

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Parks refusing "old" trailers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
The first two trailer/RV parks said they would not take any RV/Trailer more than 10 years old.

How common is this. Will being refused a place to stay at the end of a tiring towing day be common?! I'd guess the public parks would only refuse something if it was a hazard, but commercial parks? Your average KOA or interstate RV park? Will they give me grief?
If anyone has access to Trailer Life Magazine's online archive, this was the subject of an article. I have a digital copy of the article on my hard drive, but I do not have permission to post it here publicly.

Quote:
NOT IN MY CAMPGROUND
Crider, Jeff (author)
1536 words
1 December 2005
Trailer Life
Volume 65; Issue 12; ISSN: 00410780
English
Copyright (c) 2005 Bell & Howell Information and Learning Company. All rights reserved.
A ten year age limit on the RV is the easiest restriction for a Commercial Park Owner to impose without causing legal grief. I have found it most prevalent in a park that has "Resort" as a part of it's name. These properties are usually the closest or most convenient sites to a major metropolitan city. They also have an over-abundance of requests for reservations and are usually fully booked most of the time. They can afford to turn away a minority of people. The employees are saved the extra work of putting each coach through a rigorous inspection like this one from a Public Park which cannot "Discriminate".
Santee Lakes Recreation Preserve
  • 9.9.3 Camping Unit Appearance Restrictions All Camping Units must have current registration and licensing. RVIA or Department of Housing certifications are required. Camping at Santee Lakes is a privilege and not an absolute right; therefore, Santee Lakes has adopted rules and regulations regarding the appearance of Camping Units and will deny privileges based on unsightly appearance. Park staff will perform an inspection of all Camping Units entering the Park. If any of the following items are identified, privileges will be denied:
    • Damage to the exterior of the unit, including but not limited to, broken windows, dents, rust, holes, exposed wiring or missing panels.
    • Leaks.
    • Missing components.
    • Offensive or unsightly graphics or paint design.
    • Makeshift repairs using tape, tarps and/or other materials not suited.
    - - - - -
I have never personally experienced either age or length restrictions at any KOA.

I have gotten around the age restriction at one resort in Portland, OR by communicating well in advance and emailing photographs to show the Fiber Stream in top condition. I followed up with a thank-you letter after my first visit, and we are welcomed back every year.

Another resort in Las Vegas, NV was adamant in enforcing their standards. Even the rally host who vouched for me could not ensure I would not be turned away at the gate, even with a pre-paid non-refundable reservation. I did not go to that rally, and haven't been to Las Vegas since.

So while it's possible to be an exception, be prepared for rejection and move on.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #23

British Columbia
Good info! (As per usual on this fantastic site!)

Glad to have some context on how these rules are applied.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #24

Name: Herb
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
We went to a park in a 16' Sunline, no problem. A year and a half later we went back and were told that they don't allow trailers that small and that there was no way that we could have stayed there before. We wound up at another park in the area.

We figured that the first time was the slow season and the second time was the busy snowbird season.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #25

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You mean like this?
RV Park Reviews :: Home

Yes something like that ,but just add "If" they have an age or size limit .

I mean I would hate to get somewhere and be told I was to old or too short

Happy Camping....Lynn
Old 09-20-2011, 12:36 AM   #26

British Columbia
Great stuff, I can't remember the last time I asked some random question online and got such a useful, thorough discussion of the issue!

One thing I like about Miatas (among MANY things) is all the great online community and info available. Glad to see this is the case with eggs!!!!

I walked around a RV/trailer/mobile home "superstore" today and was just struck by how out of place I felt among the giants that seem to be typical of industry as a whole. A little put off by the not so tasteful excess. Glad to have found this niche!

Now Camping World, that was fun, could have stayed in there for days!!
Old 09-20-2011, 01:37 AM   #27

Name: Herb
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Browse in Camping World and then go buy it cheaper elsewhere.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:09 AM   #28

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Sutton View Post
Browse in Camping World and then go buy it cheaper elsewhere.
Indeed I did notice high prices on some things, but very glad to know they are floating around our highways. It's one thing trying to get internet purchases shipped to hotels, it's another thing altogether to get them to deliver to a home on wheels at some random point on a map. And there's one in Albuquerque for same day must haves when I'm orbiting that universe.