Parks refusing "Old" trailers? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
A list of really good and really bad parks in general sounds like a useful database.
You mean like this?
RV Park Reviews :: Home
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #22

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Parks refusing "old" trailers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
The first two trailer/RV parks said they would not take any RV/Trailer more than 10 years old.

How common is this. Will being refused a place to stay at the end of a tiring towing day be common?! I'd guess the public parks would only refuse something if it was a hazard, but commercial parks? Your average KOA or interstate RV park? Will they give me grief?
If anyone has access to Trailer Life Magazine's online archive, this was the subject of an article. I have a digital copy of the article on my hard drive, but I do not have permission to post it here publicly.

Quote:
NOT IN MY CAMPGROUND
Crider, Jeff (author)
1536 words
1 December 2005
Trailer Life
Volume 65; Issue 12; ISSN: 00410780
English
Copyright (c) 2005 Bell & Howell Information and Learning Company. All rights reserved.
A ten year age limit on the RV is the easiest restriction for a Commercial Park Owner to impose without causing legal grief. I have found it most prevalent in a park that has "Resort" as a part of it's name. These properties are usually the closest or most convenient sites to a major metropolitan city. They also have an over-abundance of requests for reservations and are usually fully booked most of the time. They can afford to turn away a minority of people. The employees are saved the extra work of putting each coach through a rigorous inspection like this one from a Public Park which cannot "Discriminate".
Santee Lakes Recreation Preserve
  • 9.9.3 Camping Unit Appearance Restrictions All Camping Units must have current registration and licensing. RVIA or Department of Housing certifications are required. Camping at Santee Lakes is a privilege and not an absolute right; therefore, Santee Lakes has adopted rules and regulations regarding the appearance of Camping Units and will deny privileges based on unsightly appearance. Park staff will perform an inspection of all Camping Units entering the Park. If any of the following items are identified, privileges will be denied:
    • Damage to the exterior of the unit, including but not limited to, broken windows, dents, rust, holes, exposed wiring or missing panels.
    • Leaks.
    • Missing components.
    • Offensive or unsightly graphics or paint design.
    • Makeshift repairs using tape, tarps and/or other materials not suited.
    - - - - -
I have never personally experienced either age or length restrictions at any KOA.

I have gotten around the age restriction at one resort in Portland, OR by communicating well in advance and emailing photographs to show the Fiber Stream in top condition. I followed up with a thank-you letter after my first visit, and we are welcomed back every year.

Another resort in Las Vegas, NV was adamant in enforcing their standards. Even the rally host who vouched for me could not ensure I would not be turned away at the gate, even with a pre-paid non-refundable reservation. I did not go to that rally, and haven't been to Las Vegas since.

So while it's possible to be an exception, be prepared for rejection and move on.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #23

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Good info! (As per usual on this fantastic site!)

Glad to have some context on how these rules are applied.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #24

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Florida
We went to a park in a 16' Sunline, no problem. A year and a half later we went back and were told that they don't allow trailers that small and that there was no way that we could have stayed there before. We wound up at another park in the area.

We figured that the first time was the slow season and the second time was the busy snowbird season.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #25

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You mean like this?
RV Park Reviews :: Home

Yes something like that ,but just add "If" they have an age or size limit .

I mean I would hate to get somewhere and be told I was to old or too short

Happy Camping....Lynn
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:36 PM   #26

British Columbia
Great stuff, I can't remember the last time I asked some random question online and got such a useful, thorough discussion of the issue!

One thing I like about Miatas (among MANY things) is all the great online community and info available. Glad to see this is the case with eggs!!!!

I walked around a RV/trailer/mobile home "superstore" today and was just struck by how out of place I felt among the giants that seem to be typical of industry as a whole. A little put off by the not so tasteful excess. Glad to have found this niche!

Now Camping World, that was fun, could have stayed in there for days!!
Old 09-20-2011, 12:37 AM   #27

Florida
Browse in Camping World and then go buy it cheaper elsewhere.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:09 AM   #28

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Sutton View Post
Browse in Camping World and then go buy it cheaper elsewhere.
Indeed I did notice high prices on some things, but very glad to know they are floating around our highways. It's one thing trying to get internet purchases shipped to hotels, it's another thing altogether to get them to deliver to a home on wheels at some random point on a map. And there's one in Albuquerque for same day must haves when I'm orbiting that universe.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #29

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
Well, it's not just discrimination at the welcome mat.

At times I determined that when reserving in advance and describing our real length for the reservation at arrival we found ourselves tucked away in some pretty crappy sites only to be told "sorry, that's all there is available" yet I could see other, better open sites that were clearly available. So...I began to exaggerate our length by a few feet for the reservation and presto, we started to get better site locations. My belief is that some RV parks discriminate in various ways and at times pander to the bigger, better RV (MH) customers even if or especially if they are last minute drive ins.

Am I right or just paranoid? :-)
mike_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #30

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bc View Post
Well, it's not just discrimination at the welcome mat.

At times I determined that when reserving in advance and describing our real length for the reservation at arrival we found ourselves tucked away in some pretty crappy sites only to be told "sorry, that's all there is available" yet I could see other, better open sites that were clearly available. So...I began to exaggerate our length by a few feet for the reservation and presto, we started to get better site locations. My belief is that some RV parks discriminate in various ways and at times pander to the bigger, better RV (MH) customers even if or especially if they are last minute drive ins.

Am I right or just paranoid? :-)
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you!
We have had them try to put our 13 Scamp in the tent areas, when sites with hook-ups are available. This is strange to me since we pay the same fees and use a very small fraction on the facilities compared to bulgemobiles.(besides our camper is cuter.)
We have several times recieved special treatment in a good way due to the size of our camper, as well. Like getting a small site in a full campground that the big rigs were afraid of, or once a site close to the ocean because a tree limited access.
I do remember having to repeat "13-yes-13ft" several times though.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #31

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
I totally agree with McBrew, how are they going to tell the year of a well maintained or nicely restored fiberglass trailer? "Yeah, of course it's less than 10 years old, doesn't it LOOK LIKE IT????
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #32

British Columbia
Strangely enough I just bought a 10 year old trailer!

Yep, I'd be really impressed if any campground could accurately tell it's age. There's a few bits I need to get at with a wire brush and some spray paint, but overall it doesn't look much different than a new one.

So far good luck, at least at Doheney State beach, they let me right in.

I think I should be able to lie my way into snooty parks for a few more years at least.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #33

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I was turned away at an RV park on the Oregon coast once as they only took trailers 24' or longer. Have been at others that will not allow any tent trailers or trailers with any kind of canvas showing (nope it had nothing to do with bears). Others have rules that all trailers must be self contained - own bathroom and built in holding tanks.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #34

Florida
The requirement to be self-contained usually stems from their not wanting to maintain bathrooms.

We encountered one in Lake Havasu that locked the bathrooms at 10pm. We were in a popup, good thing we had a portapotty.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #35

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Funny enough the ones that I have been to that required the units to be self-contained where some of the more upscale type RV parks(with fees to match) with nice heated tile floors in the washrooms etc.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #36

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
Alberta
We got wedged between a million$ motor home and the biggest 5th wheel I've ever seen.it was pulled by a 370 Pete! We never saw the sun all weekend lol!!!
We did see a rig this summer that was of questionable construction. It was made from an old pickup box and fram and halfshell camper top. I'm all for self reliance and inginuity but this rig was pretty rough. I could easily see this person being turned away.
The reasoning could be liability insurance related and not snobbery.
AndyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #37

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGee View Post
We got wedged between a million$ motor home and the biggest 5th wheel I've ever seen.it was pulled by a 370 Pete! We never saw the sun all weekend lol!!!
We did see a rig this summer that was of questionable construction. It was made from an old pickup box and fram and halfshell camper top. I'm all for self reliance and inginuity but this rig was pretty rough. I could easily see this person being turned away.
The reasoning could be liability insurance related and not snobbery.
Ya think it's being so ugly might cause extreme emotional distress among other campers? The campground could have no more liability for allowing it in than Burger King would.... I suppose it might ruin appetites and scare off customers there!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #38

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I was turned away at an RV park on the Oregon coast once as they only took trailers 24' or longer. Have been at others that will not allow any tent trailers or trailers with any kind of canvas showing (nope it had nothing to do with bears). Others have rules that all trailers must be self contained - own bathroom and built in holding tanks.
Carol, sounds like you were trying to get into "that" resort in Pacific City. Beautiful vistas, but only catered to big rigs. You wouldn't have liked it... no one ever came outside of their rigs (my Aunt was the parks hostess several years back)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #39

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
There are some RV parks with this attitude, but I've never run into one personally. I would guess it's a fairly small percentage of all such parks.

Exactly! And honestly it's for the protection of other guests. Having owned a Rv Park, I know that had I not had that "rule" there could have been some huge issues in the park.

That rule allowed me to prevent discomfort to/of/for my guests. I didn't use the rule often, but it certainly was back pocket CYA................ Especially when I had people of the unsavory type want a seasonal site.

As a business owner you have to protect your business. All business owners have the right to refuse service. Frankly, some snooty resorts take it a bit over board. But in my opinion they have the right to service the customers they want to. When we had our Class A, I ran into this rule. The Park was nice enough to tell me to come on by and let them look at that Rv (despite it being over 10 years old)...... Once they saw it/us they realized we were most likely good guest and allowed us to stay.

The people who bought our park, didn't use the rule. First year they had it, they learned a valuable lesson! Not only did the allow their guest to be uncomfortable due to a group of seasonal guest but they ended up having to tow out a trailer that the seasonal guest abandoned in the park. It was a mess, that cost them $$$ and time, cause getting something declared abandon is not an easy task. So if I ever owned another campground, rvpark believe me I would use the rule!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #40

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842
We've been excluded for both reasons.

When we had a motorhome we were excluded for age once. When we had a stick built trailer we were excluded because of length.

With Fiberglass Trailers it's very difficult to tell a 1991 Scamp from a 2006. People never believe me when I tell them ours is 20 years old.
If the park asks, of course, yours is five years old, and they could not tell when you lie aboit it....a egg can get away with it.

As for me, I am a boondocker. I stay at camp grounds, usually at military bases, only once in a while.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote