Parks refusing "Old" trailers? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #1

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Parks refusing "Old" trailers?

So I started looking around Albuquerque today for long term parking for this winter. The first two trailer/RV parks said they would not take any RV/Trailer more than 10 years old. I said, how about a lovingly restored, perfect condition really beautiful vintage trailer. They said flatly, "no".

I did find two other parks that sound much more reasonable, "just needs to be clean and good looking." sort of vibe.

How common is this. Will being refused a place to stay at the end of a tiring towing day be common?! I'd guess the public parks would only refuse something if it was a hazard, but commercial parks? Your average KOA or interstate RV park? Will they give me grief?

I guess this puts a kink in the possibility of buying a fixer-upper and not restore it immediately. I need something that at least looks shiny and nice on the outside right off the bat.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This is nothing new Dylan. And frankly I don't blame some of the parks. We know vast majority of Egg owners take very good care of their trailers. But look at old stickies. Duct tape windows, etc. (I'm not talking about the Classics). Few people outside egg owners understand this egg culture, I don't expect an RV park would either. All they know is "years old." Don't feel bad, you're not the only one that's run up against this. Usually though... it's the length of the trailer that's discriminated against.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
This is nothing new Dylan. And frankly I don't blame some of the parks. We know vast majority of Egg owners take very good care of their trailers. But look at old stickies. Duct tape windows, etc. (I'm not talking about the Classics). Few people outside egg owners understand this egg culture, I don't expect an RV park would either. All they know is "years old." Don't feel bad, you're not the only one that's run up against this. Usually though... it's the length of the trailer that's discriminated against.
I completely understand the issue, you don't want ugly heaps scaring away potential customers and annoying the current ones. But "10 years old" is a really dumb metric. How about "trailers older than 10 years are subject to management approval", or "trailers must be in excellent condition" A polished old Airstream doesn't look much different than a new one. A nicely restored egg looks way better than a lot of the new corrugated garbage out there. Heck, many current eggs don't really look much different than a 20 year old one if in good shape.

At least I did talk to two parks that would welcome a well taken care of egg, one even knew the Burro and thought they were really cool. One of the two places actually has vintage rallies.

The silver lining is I probably wouldn't be happy in a snooty, stuck up park filled with all new RVs anyway.

So many parks won't take small trailers?? What is the usual cut off point? 16'? 18'?
Old 09-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Age and length

We've been excluded for both reasons.

When we had a motorhome we were excluded for age once. When we had a stick built trailer we were excluded because of length.

With Fiberglass Trailers it's very difficult to tell a 1991 Scamp from a 2006. People never believe me when I tell them ours is 20 years old.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We've been excluded for both reasons.

When we had a motorhome we were excluded for age once. When we had a stick built trailer we were excluded because of length.

With Fiberglass Trailers it's very difficult to tell a 1991 Scamp from a 2006. People never believe me when I tell them ours is 20 years old.
Was it your age or the trailers? Just could not resist it, you left yourself open for that one!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #6

British Columbia
Not clear on this, but they actually refuse short trailers? Long ones? One place did say my trailer needed to be self sufficient. So perhaps 13's without potties and showers would be suspect. I told them I'd be using a porta potty and a makeshift shower in the trailer. They said, "good enough".
Old 09-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Sounds like discrimination to me. Maybe that's why I couldn't lock down a resort or workamping job, they did ask about the size and age of the rv. Oh well I tend to hold a grudge for a long time and I think that if I were turned away from a campground because my trailer is to old that I would never go back even with a newer trailer.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Long term parking is something totally different and I can see where they would have a concern regarding the looks of their trailer park.

They should however be able to look at the rig and give it a waver on a yearly basis.

Note: My wife coined a phrase for the folks that appear on Jerry Springer and Morrey: Trailer Park Protocol.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #9

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
I might accidentally tell them my Scamp is a 2004 model instead of 1984. My math is off sometimes. What are they going to do, look up the VIN?
Old 09-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
I might accidentally tell them my Scamp is a 2004 model instead of 1984. My math is off sometimes. What are they going to do, look up the VIN?
Hilarious, since with proper care, only the most discerning person could tell the difference.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:53 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
There are some RV parks with this attitude, but I've never run into one personally. I would guess it's a fairly small percentage of all such parks.

If my trailer (and my money) were not good enough for the park, the park would not be good enough for me. Plenty more where that came from, I'll just go down the road (or maybe just across the street) to a place that's more reasonable. If people don't go to snooty places, pretty soon they'll go out of business.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
If a campground were to asked me the age of my Scamp.
I might just say that it is propriatory information.
Or say "take a guess...If you can't tell who else can?"
Besides since Scamps last 4 times as long as stick builts, it may be appropriate to answer in "Scamp Years" 1/4th it's cronological age.
For long term parking...Do they kick you out when the trailer reached 10 years old?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:58 AM   #13

Name: PaulOWindsor
Trailer: 2011 Trillium 1500 & 2002 Airstream 34
Ontario
This attitude is easily understood, as stick-built square trailers are often ready for the junk yard after 10yrs !! Let's keep in mind that the person you're speaking to at the park is just an employee doing their job...my attitude would be to simply play the stupid game...tell them your trailer is 9yrs old & when you show up with a well cared for fibreglass egg that was made in 1979...let them decide if they really want to turn you & your $$ away !!
PaulOWindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #14

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Should we make a list of these restricted parks when we encounter them, so others can avoid them?

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:00 PM   #15

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Should we make a list of these restricted parks when we encounter them, so others can avoid them?

CindyL
Yes, I think we should. Not in a hateful way but just as a reminder not to stop there.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I am sure, the way things are looking now, that at any given time I will have some part on my Compact Jr that was made in the current year. So would I really be fibbing too much to say the camper is newer than it is?
Angie2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Discrimination of any kind is not bothersome or hurtful when included... only when excluded.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
good idea, sooner they stop the sooner we benefit
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #19

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
bolerama/fiberglass meets to educate in listed parks?

Hard to hide the age of a boler but know of the problems.
They worry about brake down and wreck left behind; seen stick builds not safe to pull in a park.
As to the new parts idea we all have many new parts inside like the hot water tank in mine.
Would be good to have a list of places to avoid on trips; l for one would not want to be turned away at night.
Could be done by Prov or state
Then maybe bolerama/fiberglass meets to educate in listed parks?
Old 09-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #20

British Columbia
Again, if they want to turn away eye sores or potential trash heaps in their parks, understandable. Just blanket outlawing 10 year old trailers is just plain ridiculous. Especially given the huge interest in vintage RVing these days and the amazing restorations that are out there.

I'd say a list wouldn't hurt. Might even be fun to stop by parks on the list in a nice clean 30 year old egg and see if they let you stay. Perhaps then telling them you changed your mind, the place looks too stuffy and stuck up for your taste.

A list of really good and really bad parks in general sounds like a useful database.