Part Time - Full Timer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2008, 03:25 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I soon will be leaving for the Summer to start work as a campground host in the White Mountains of NH.
It is a remote campground called Covered Bridge, off the Kancamaugus highway in NH, without power or water hook-ups and my biggest concern is the life of a deep cycle battery.
The longest we have been out is just for a 3 day weekend on battery power with no ill effects, but that was in the real summer and the furnace was not needed, but still here it gets down in the low 30's at night so I may want to heat at night.
I have read threads about how some just turn heat on before they go to sleep to take the edge off, but they must have tighter campers then I do, a Boler 1300, because I was out last weekend and tried this only to be cold after 30 minutes after heat was turned off.
My wife's cousin has a 16ft camper that she doesn't use and this will afford a little more room, and she seemed OK with letting me borrow this for the summer, but I only have 2 more weeks before I leave and I haven't heard back from her.
I wonder what condition her camper is in because it has been parked in her garage for 12 years with no use and I would like to go over it.
What could go wrong with it.????
After I leave I will no longer keep my internet connection as I am the only one who uses it in the house so this will be my last month on the site and I will miss all the banter back and forth.

Gerry the canoebuilder
Come see me if in the area.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:23 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1984
Good luck with the summer thing. Sounds like quite the experience. Hope you check back in with us all in the fall. It's been a pleasure to read your posts and see some of your pictures.
Jim
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Sounds like a great summer, Gerry. Older furnaces don't have a fan, so they don't need electricity to run. Probably too expensive/hard to find to retrofit, tho, so it looks like the best solution is more quilts or a couple of dogs. (Remember Three Dog Night?)
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Gerry,

Have a great adventure...
Maybe you can find a public library or Internet cafe sometime over the summer and update us. If not, can't wait to hear the stories when you get back.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1996 Dakota 4x4 V6
Gerry, you're going to need some way to charge that battery, or it will be discharged in a matter of days with any use.

Here's my best suggestion:

http://www.siliconsolar.com/12v-solar-batt...r-15w-p-133.php

This is the panel that I have. It's only 15 watts, but it has given me great performance. I use the original incandescent lights (1 or 2) at night, watch 12V television, run the Fantastic Fan or furnace as much as I want, and I'm back at full charge (12.8-13.3 volts) every day by about 2 pm. That's after getting down to about 12.2 volts after using stuff.
I bolted it flat to the top of the Casita, and wired it directly to the battery with the included alligator clips (no charge controller because of the relatively low power and slow amperage). For staying in one place all summer, you wouldn't have to install it - just lean it up somewhere and point it.

On Edit: I notice the website recommends a charge controller for anything above 5 watts.

This panel is still $120, which is what I paid a couple of years ago. The company made a mistake and sent me the single panel instead of the double (30 watt) that I ordered, so I decided to try just the 15W. They had great customer service, found the warehouse mistake, and credited me the difference in price.

Also, get a simple volt meter that you can plug into a 12V socket for a quick read.
Here's my rough guide to your state of charge, with no load (nothing on).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Voltage_Card.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	13094

I hope this helps! Good luck and have a great summer!
P
Palmer M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #6

Quote:
what condition her camper is in because it has been parked in her garage for 12 years with no use...What could go wrong with it.????
Of course depends on the make and model, and if it has been cared for (not too likely). I would think a lot could be wrong with such a camper, such as:

tires dry-rotted
brakes/bearings rusted/siezed
propane lines contaminated/dry-rotted
ignitors/thermocouples faulty on water heater/furnace/fridge
leaks/rotted wood frame (if a sticky)
air conditioner with no refrigerant
dead battery(s)
mold inside and/or outside

It might be perfect, but a camper that has sat for 12 years is more likely a project!
P
Old 05-07-2008, 01:17 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Of course depends on the make and model, and if it has been cared for (not too likely). I would think a lot could be wrong with such a camper, such as:

tires dry-rotted
brakes/bearings rusted/siezed
propane lines contaminated/dry-rotted
ignitors/thermocouples faulty on water heater/furnace/fridge
leaks/rotted wood frame (if a sticky)
air conditioner with no refrigerant
dead battery(s)
mold inside and/or outside

It might be perfect, but a camper that has sat for 12 years is more likely a project!
P
Palmer you missed the part about [b]because it has been parked in her garage for 12 years, so some of these.. like leaks and mold aren't an issue. Once, outside it may very well start leaking as the seals have dried out. UVs haven't killed the tires as they haven't been outside either, but tires rot from the inside out too.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:47 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Wow, Gerry - sounds like a neat adventure, and as Greg said, we will look forward to "tales of the north woods" when your gig is finished.

We have been full-timing with our Scamp 13 since Aug 2006. We have a small electric 'cube' heater for when we have shore power, and use a small Coleman catalytic heater (NOT while sleeping!) when dry-camping. It uses the same 1-plus pound cannisters the Coleman 2-burner campstove uses (so buy several depending on how long you will be hosting). We heat up the trailer, then jump under lots of quilts & blankets. If the chill awakens one of us, we just run the propane for a short time (window or vent open slightly) to re-heat the 'bedroom' then back to sleep.

Our electrical needs are minimal - 2 12-volt incandescents. We recharge the house battery with a 10.3 watt solar panel for those. We use a 75w cigarette lighter inverter (Radio Shack) to recharge the laptop and phone when driving or just idling a bit in camp. We do intend to add more solar collectors, but don't have a place for more battery storage yet. Have you considered a small quiet gen-set like the Honda or Kipor? We don't want to pack one, but others use them successfully for long-term dry-camping.

IMHO, trying to get ready a unit which has been unused for years in a short window of time sounds like an exercise in frustration. Your

Hope this info if helpful. We wish you a great summer in that gorgeous country. Take care, L 'n D
Old 05-07-2008, 05:49 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
If there is not electric for you to tap into to charge the battery, using the furnace for heat, 2 days would seem like the tops. I do not have a furnace in our Scamp. We use a cube electric heater if we have power, and would also use it if we can use our generator without bothering others. If the the electric heater is out, we have a propane Colman catalytic heater to take the chill out. So far we have not had to use it exept in the mornings to warm it up. But one could be used, but must leave a vent or window opened a little to vent the trailer.

I do not see how you can get by without someway of charging the battery. One way is to have a back up battery. We wired our pickup in the '90s so we could charge a battery as we drove around, then switched them around.

Is there electric outlets in the restrooms? If so take a charger, hook up the battery to charge now and again.

A small generator 1000w or less would all you would need to keep the battery going. Run it a little each day.
Some are fairly cheap, Honda nicest but not cheap.
http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/index.php...mp;hl=generator
This sit is just as an example of a small generator, Sutherlands are many hundreds of miles from NH.
http://www.sutherlands.com/products/...p?item=7784929
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:54 PM   #10

Quote:
[b]in her garage

You're right, I missed that. It still could have serious issues that would be hard to address in a couple of weeks, though.
P
Old 05-07-2008, 07:19 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Gerry, look into a portable LP heater like Coleman Cat or Mr Heater Buddy for electric-free heat.

Consider making a harness with fuse to plug into TV outlet to put egg battery in back of TV to charge when getting groceries. Far from perfect, but petter than nothing.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Gerry... I found the Kancamagus Hwy. on the N.H. map, looks interesting..not straight!!! No hookups could be real mountain livin'. Enjoy the peace and solitude. I will miss your posts and emails.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:31 AM   #13

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
(Haven't been to New Hampshire since I was a little girl...)
Hope you take some pictures for us to see when you're back online.
Have a great summer!
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Here's my best suggestion:

http://www.siliconsolar.com/12v-solar-batt...r-15w-p-133.php

This is the panel that I have. It's only 15 watts, but it has given me great performance. I use the original incandescent lights (1 or 2) at night, watch 12V television, run the Fantastic Fan or furnace as much as I want, and I'm back at full charge (12.8-13.3 volts) every day by about 2 pm. That's after getting down to about 12.2 volts after using stuff.

On Edit: I notice the website recommends a charge controller for anything above 5 watts.

I hope this helps! Good luck and have a great summer!
P
Palmer (or anyone)
Thanks for the link, I have read some about Solar power here on FGRV and never thought too much about it as said we only went out on 3 day weekends to remote campsites, and forgot all about this option.
I have a 5000W generator but the thoughts of hauling this back and forth is not something I want to be bothered with. (I will be working 5 days on - 2 days off)
A few questions for you.
How does it work on extended cloudy days...This is my greatest concern, the damp weather getting into my bones creating a chill that you just can't get rid of unless you can get it around 70 degree for a few hours.?
You said you did not buy the controller.
The $35 seems like a good investment ???What was your reasoning behind this
Also any reason you went with the Thin-Line over the RV-409???
http://www.siliconsolar.com/rv-solar-panel...5-watt-p-61.php
The campsite is deciduous tree covered and will this in effect make the device useless?
Any replies will be helpful.
Gerry
Old 05-08-2008, 05:41 PM   #15

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I am jealous. I haven't retired yet.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:22 PM   #16

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Gerry
This will help keep the chill off your bones in case the battery loses power.... "Not For Sleeping" This is the model i have been meaning to get for myself "Hmmm Maybe Fathers day"
Will miss your posts...you had some good ones.hope you come back after the season...
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-5053A751-Per...9296&sr=8-4
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #17

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
I've often wondered about the ability of various metals (steel in this instance) to release heat over a period of time. Why could one not simply place an 8inch by 14inch piece of half inch steel on the stovetop, heat it for a few minutes, then simply turn off the stove and let it radiate. I realize it wouldn't last all night, but it might help take the edge off.

I may have to try this one out myself.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:24 AM   #18

Gerry,
RV-409 is the panel that I have. Sorry, I thought that was the link I provided.
I ordered RV-419 (two panels), but received RV-409. That $35 controller looks like a good deal. I didn't order/install a controller because I was under the impression that it wasn't needed under 40-45 watts...this was my first solar energy experiment. I haven't had any overcharging problems, but I might be the exception because my electric system is in daily use.
Since my panel is flat-mounted, the seasons do make a difference. On a summer day, when the sun is high, full charge usually means about 13.3 volts. On a short winter day, that would be more like 12.8 volts, still pretty good, especially considering that that's when I'm using the furnace fan practically all night. A big benefit is that I rarely, if ever, see voltage go below 12.2...a battery will last much longer if it is never discharged below about 50-60%, right about 12.2 volts. After killing several batteries pre-solar, my current battery is 2 years old, and I expect it may last 5 years.
Cloudy days might shave .1 or .2 volts off your full charge...that is, hardly any difference. The shade will knock off a little more, but you will still be charging throughout the day.
I've had a lot of fun monitoring the voltage and seeing how much charge I get under different conditions and seasons. I don't have any maintenance...sometimes I get on a ladder and wipe the thing off with window cleaner, just for kicks. If I were in a shady campsite, I would try to find a sunny-ish spot to prop up the panel. Based on my summer vs. winter readings, the closer to perpendicular to the sun's rays, the better. For instance, in winter, I try to park a little bit tilted to the south. When I'm parked for the night, I unplug from the truck, so I'm not draining that battery at night. When plugged in during the day, the panel is charging both batteries. I've noticed little things - for instance, watching a DVD movie (laser) seems to use more power than the equivalent amount of time of plain TV. I've always got plenty of power in the mornings for a shower (water pump), even after using the lights, furnace, etc. at night.
The one thing my system can't really keep up with is charging my power-hungry laptop through an inverter. I use shore power or another location generally for the computer.
If I knew 2 years ago how well this thing would perform, I would have paid $1000 for it.
P
ps That's not an endorsement for any particular brand or distributor. The ones mentioned just happen to be what I bought after shopping around.
Here's a picture of it (in action!):

Click image for larger version

Name:	solar_panel__Small_.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	13129
Old 05-16-2008, 03:32 AM   #19

Talking

After looking at the web page for a few days, and my departure date being the 17th, I knew I needed to do something so I filled out the order page for the 419. But then looking at the controllers and saw that I could not use the little $35 jobby for that many watts, so I deleted order and just got the 409 with no controller.
I did order the extra long wire with it so I could move panel around to maximize collection.
I still haven't even seen my site so maybe it isn't going to be too bad. It will be all trial and error I am sure.
Got all packed yesterday and just have to throw what food I want to stay cool in a cooler, and a few personals together and off I will go for my first few days.
I will be on battery/propane power for the first 2 weeks until the solar panel arrives, but this will give me a chance to see if I could have done it all summer with out such a convenience as solar power.
I plan now to keep my internet service on so I will keep you all up to date with articles from the KANC.

Gerry
Old 05-17-2008, 03:19 AM   #20

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
Glad to hear that you'll be online and we can get updates
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fulltiming