Passing behemoth Class A Motor Homes - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-02-2015, 06:46 PM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Passing behemoth Class A Motor Homes

I do not tow on Interstates much unless I have too preferring back roads or lesser highways. Anyway, earlier this year towing back through Georgia I trusted the GPS and it took me straight down an Interstate highway and I noticed something. Semi tractor-trailer rigs were not too bad, but a dadgum Class A passing us would suck/blow us around quite a bit. Kind of scary it was.

Fast forward to last week and I was driving my company car, a brand new Ford Escape, down a local Interstate to get quickly from one side of town to the other. I passed a Class A at Interstate speed (70 mph) and just about got blown off the road as I passed the front of their rig. It was shocking how much turbulence was created by that big square fronted rig fighting its' way down the road. Just another strike against them in my book.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:56 AM   #2

Name: Harry
Trailer: Keystone
Ontario
I find the big Greyhound type buses the worst.....they are usually going 75-80 mph

Old 11-03-2015, 12:52 PM   #3

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita
Texas
I used to drive an Escape as a company vehicle before I retired, and it handled kind of squirrelly. The short wheelbase, coupled with the front wheel drive, made for some exciting Texas driving. No way would I ever use one as a tow vehicle.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:03 PM   #4

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Something wrong with Squirrelley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasitaRick View Post
I used to drive an Escape as a company vehicle before I retired, and it handled kind of squirrelly. The short wheelbase, coupled with the front wheel drive, made for some exciting Texas driving. No way would I ever use one as a tow vehicle.
:

Come on Folks we have driven them all and the worst for us are the Tractor Trailers the push then pull so when we see them coming we pull over to the side of the road giving them some room & it sort of stops the problems especially when in the Class A 25'6"MH not that big but some of the problems I have found out are the shocks, springs, tire size, anti sway items are most of the problems. The longer the wheel base the better then if you upgrade tires and rims to 22.5 from 19.5 big change in getting blow around even in strong wind, next is change the ride by changing to the best there is in shocks, also anti sway systems help a lot to.
We own a 2012 Ford Escape and love it as real easy to drive and never any problems from tractors, MH's but do have problems with other SUV's.
Stude
Old 11-04-2015, 03:09 AM   #5

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... If your going to drive a brick in the wind...it might as well be a biggie.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040198.jpg  
Old 11-04-2015, 03:18 AM   #6

British Columbia
Brick in the wind,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: All... If your going to drive a brick in the wind...it might as well be a biggie.
: which one is yours the large one or the daughter?
I like small and we drive at 59mph so we can get 10.5mpg US and 12.5mpg Canuck and when towing the Toad we average 9mpg US and 11mpg Canuck, Tow'd weighs in at 2400#'s. Works for us plus in strange areas lets us park the MH and get around to the places we want to see. Worked real well in NL this past summer.
Stude.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:34 AM   #7

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
I like small and we drive at 59mph so we can get 10.5mpg US and 12.5mpg Canuck and when towing the Toad we average 9mpg US and 11mpg Canuck, Tow'd weighs in at 2400#'s. Works for us plus in strange areas lets us park the MH and get around to the places we want to see. Worked real well in NL this past summer.
Stude.
Hi: stude... We're the B.C. built 5.0TA Escape. We actually had some folks knock for a wee peek in. No one wanted to take a look in the Big Country!!!
We average 15.5 mpg towing @ 60-62 mph with the V6 Nissan Frontier. Our entire rig is no more than 32 feet long but bends in the middle.
We have no stability issues passing or being passed!!!
Attached Thumbnails
P1040118.jpg  
Old 11-04-2015, 04:02 AM   #8

British Columbia
Alf got your answer

Quote:
Stude.
: right now the one I like the most is Winnebago Vista 27N but they are just to pricey for our pension so well stay with what we have and do the grunt work to make it safer in the wind or the push,pull, drag items that happen out there. I would love to own anther Truck but not a New one I like the 40's to 79's none after that but my wife likes them to have EFI especailly at 115*F and 8000' or higher.
hard to keep her happy.
Stude
Old 11-04-2015, 04:48 AM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Very nice looking combo Alf.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:12 AM   #10

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
: right now the one I like the most is Winnebago Vista 27N but they are just to pricey for our pension so well stay with what we have and do the grunt work to make it safer in the wind or the push,pull, drag items that happen out there. I would love to own anther Truck but not a New one I like the 40's to 79's none after that but my wife likes them to have EFI especailly at 115*F and 8000' or higher.
hard to keep her happy.
Stude
Hi: stude... Our entire rig is less than 1/2 what a Vista 27N cost, and when we get to Florida and unhook we have our EFI V6 to take us shopping.
Happy wife, happy life!!!
Old 11-04-2015, 09:16 AM   #11

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Very nice looking combo Alf.
Hi: Borrego Dave... Thanks. We really like it. The more people see them the more popular they have become. So much so that ETI can't build them fast enough.
I sure didn't want them to hurry mine along though.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:13 PM   #12

Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
I find the big Greyhound type buses the worst.....they are usually going 75-80 mph
Ya,, I really enjoy meeting one of them on the 2lane when I'm doing 75-80
in the opposite direction,, on my 500 lb motorcycle!
Old 11-04-2015, 01:56 PM   #13

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
for sure passing the big busses/A's/TractorTrailers. We get blown around with our lifted/high-top van conversion a bit, though the real crazy times were if pulling the TT behind the van. I would often tap the brake controller to get the little one back in line and calmed down after a pass.

On Big Rig 5th wheels, our ~43ft Evergreen Tesla that we full time in gets pulled by a tractor. At 21K lbs it is really the safest route.

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:00 AM   #14

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
for sure passing the big busses/A's/TractorTrailers. We get blown around with our lifted/high-top van conversion a bit, though the real crazy times were if pulling the TT behind the van. I would often tap the brake controller to get the little one back in line and calmed down after a pass.

On Big Rig 5th wheels, our ~43ft Evergreen Tesla that we full time in gets pulled by a tractor. At 21K lbs it is really the safest route.

Thom
If you don't already have one installed, a rear anti-sway bar will do wonders for your high-top van conversion. I'd recommend one from Roadmaster, Inc in Vancouver WA. I had them installed on my 32RQ class C and it made a WORLD of difference in the handling... so much so that I also had one installed on my B-van.