Passports - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 09:55 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
News flash---Passports for Canadians going to the US has been delayed by the US legislators for a few years.Reason is getting system into place at a reasonable time limit.
Watch youe news for updates.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Last Nights local news reported that starting in 2008, all US Citizens would need Passports to leave or enter the US via Canada/Mexico.

Or at least to get back into the US, Canada/Mexico, might not care if you have one going into their countries? But it would probably make it easier whatever direction you're headed.

Tom
Old 05-18-2006, 10:44 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1984
Yeah! And 6000 soldiers on the Mexican border. Is Canada next?
Old 05-18-2006, 12:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft (Eggs-Car-Go with Mack the tug)
We wouldn't dare put 6000 troops on the Canandian border, to many would defect.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Old 05-18-2006, 02:55 PM   #6

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The last time we stationed troops on our border with Mexico was, I believe, in 1915. Among them were such luminaries as General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing of "Buffalo Soldier" fame, and a then-unknown lieutenant by the name of George Patton who distinguished himself by single-handedly killing the Captain of Francisco Villa's personal guard, "General Julio Carnenas".

That U.S. Army border force in 1915 was established to protect U.S. interests against border incursions by Mexican nationals. That ended in a U.S. expeditionary force invading 400 miles into Mexico in an unsuccessful "police action". Villa was never captured by U.S. troops.

I hope we're not repeating history. <sigh>

“The biggest problem is not to let people accept new ideas, but to let them forget the old ones.” John Maynard Keynes

Roger
Old 05-18-2006, 02:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Not funny. We have a pretty fine group of guys and gals in the armed forces who have volunteered to do more for their country than most Americans. They deserve better than stale jokes from draftee days.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:37 PM   #8

Trailer: Outfitter Caribou 6.5 ft Truck Camper
Quote:
The last time we stationed troops on our border with Mexico was, I believe, in 1915. Among them were such luminaries as General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing of "Buffalo Soldier" fame, and a then-unknown lieutenant by the name of George Patton who distinguished himself by single-handedly killing the Captain of Francisco Villa's personal guard, "General Julio Carnenas".

That U.S. Army border force in 1915 was established to protect U.S. interests against border incursions by Mexican nationals. That ended in a U.S. expeditionary force invading 400 miles into Mexico in an unsuccessful "police action". Villa was never captured by U.S. troops.

I hope we're not repeating history. <sigh>

“The biggest problem is not to let people accept new ideas, but to let them forget the old ones.” John Maynard Keynes

Roger
And we had supplied Pancho Villa with most of his arms during the revolution, but then turned on him and decided to only support Carranza---made Pancho a little angry---interesting person, to some he was a Robin Hood, and to others he was a murderous villian. But, Pershing really had no business taking his troops into Mexico, but President Wilson also had Veracruz occupied on some shaky grounds.

Quote:
Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes. Voltaire

But, back to the original topic---passports. The US keeps changing the dates whereby passports will be required to return to the US. They are also considering doing some border passes for people who cross all the time and stay in the border areas. While we think it is easier to just have our passports, for some families, the cost of passports will hurt. In places like the Calexico/Mexicali, the border is very fluid with many people living on one side, and working on the other, and familes on both sides.

Happy Travels
Diane
Old 05-18-2006, 04:14 PM   #9

Quote:
And we had supplied Pancho Villa with most of his arms during the revolution, but then turned on him and decided to only support Carranza---made Pancho a little angry---interesting person, to some he was a Robin Hood, and to others he was a murderous villian. But, Pershing really had no business taking his troops into Mexico...
Diane: This is misleading. The "we" who supplied Villa was not the US government, but private "donors" - many of them victims of Villa's extortion. I don't believe the US government ever armed or supported Villa, so could not have "turned on him." It was Pershing's "business" to go into Mexico, on orders of his Commander-in-Chief after Villa had crossed the border and killed US troops and civilians. Some 'Robin Hood.'
Old 05-18-2006, 06:31 PM   #10

Trailer: Outfitter Caribou 6.5 ft Truck Camper
Quote:
Diane: This is misleading. The "we" who supplied Villa was not the US government, but private "donors" - many of them victims of Villa's extortion. I don't believe the US government ever armed or supported Villa, so could not have "turned on him." It was Pershing's "business" to go into Mexico, on orders of his Commander-in-Chief after Villa had crossed the border and killed US troops and civilians. Some 'Robin Hood.'
Well, I guess we read different historians---enough said. Sorry if you were offended. It is all off topic anyway.

Diane
Old 05-18-2006, 06:47 PM   #11

No offense taken, Diane. I just like to keep the story straight. If you have any information that Villa was given arms by the US government, I'd really appreciate getting it. Everything I've read says otherwise.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:49 PM   #12

Trailer: 35 ft Park Model
I thought this thread was about passports?
Old 05-18-2006, 06:56 PM   #13

Actually, Rick, it's about border crossings. We're just indulging in a little nostalgia about noted border crossings past.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:40 PM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982
Read about it here:

http://web.nmsu.edu/~publhist/colhist.htm

Better yet, go visit Pancho Villa State Park in Columbus, New Mexico. Just don't do like we did and go in the summer

Don't hold your breath on the passport thing... 2008 is an election year.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:35 AM   #15

Trailer: 1999 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Ed may be on to something. I have been giving it some serious consideration. My neighbor’s job went south with CAFTA, my friends at the pork processing plant were replaced by illegal immigrants from Mexico and when the Mexicans complained about low wages, they were replaced by workers from El Salvador. The starting pay at the plant is half of what it was when the plant first opened in 1972. It’s a good thing that I retired when I did. My last job is now being done by a computer in India. A Canadian friend in Vancouver was always complaining about the value of Canadian dollar and the health system. He even went so far as to suggest that the US should annex Quebec. Like we need a third national language. Now, he wouldn’t move "down there" on a bet. I guess the last straw was when google directed me to the Spanish language version of the White House web site. And to think, I got my passport because the photo on my Missouri driver license made me look like Pancho Villa.
Are there any jobs up there that Canadians won’t do?

The White House
Old 05-19-2006, 09:02 AM   #16

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
I enjoyed being able to cross the US/Canadian border. I've never had a passport. I've traveled a bit, but mainly in the US or US territories, and into Canada. In fact, Canada is the only nation outside the USA that I've ever visited.

The times I've crossed the US/Canadian border, I found the US guards to be more laidback than the Canadian guards, who were rather severe and businesslike. I wouldn't call them rude, but they were certainly cold.

The last time I passed through, though, some guy on a motorcycle had pissed off the American guards, and they had his motorcycle lying on the roadside in many, many pieces. The basically had it taken completely apart. There was nothing in it, but from talking to some other people passing through, the story was that the guy had smart-mouthed the guards. They weren't going to help him reassemble it, either.

As for Pancho Villa, I rather like him.

One of my uncles (my dad's brother, Arthur) was shot pursuing Villa across the border. He also came to admire Villa later in life. He was very fortunate to have survived the gunshot wound. The story I was always told was that he was shot as they were crossing a bridge somewhere across the border in Mexico.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:26 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Quote:
Are there any jobs up there that Canadians won’t do?

The White House
Yup. Live-in nanny, seasonal agricultural worker, foreign-trained PhD or MD having to drive taxi.... anything with long hours and relatively low pay. And in boom-towns fast-food is offering $20 an hour and can't get staff, because wages and housing costs are so inflated.

But back to passports, I hope this gets clarified, it confuses travellers. A lot of Americans drive the Alaska Highway, which of course means driving through Canada. As my hubby says, "Somebody's all mixed up about who the enemy is."

Moderator, should we move this or close this? It is very upsetting and I don't think we can solve it here.

Thanks, Chester, for the update re passports, that is valuable info.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:32 PM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi CharlynnT
Your so right.I posted the info so we would not have to worry about passports for awhile.Too bad it went sour.
This thread is now locked.
Chester
Closed Thread