I stayed home 1 1.12%
Other 4 4.49%
I was a backpacker 6 6.74%
I've always been a FiberglassRVer 0 0%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2007, 06:58 AM   #1
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
I'm up early waiting until time to leave for an agility trial (not overnight, sadly) and just curious.

Apologies if the question has been asked before, but there are always new people.

Bobbie Mayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:07 AM   #2
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Gosh, so many choices. I've been a backpacker, moteler/hoteler, tenter and slept in the back of my truck... many times!

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:25 AM   #3
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
You need a "check all that apply" poll! I've done all of them but 'stay home'!

Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:50 AM   #4
Trailer: 82 Burro 13 ft
i voted "tent camper"...
although when i was young, my family used to rent a cabin on a lake for a week when we went on vacation...
i always liked it better when we tent-camped... it feels more rustic... i'll always keep my tent & gear in my trailer...
--- steven
steven jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:12 AM   #5
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Sirit Deluxe
You need a "check all that apply" poll! I've done all of them but 'stay home'!

I second the all that apply botton
andy s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:17 AM   #6
Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
I think lots of us had done numerious types of camping. I took question asked to mean what was your last type of camping prior to FG.I had a small Class C MH. Slightly bigger than a wide body van.
Retired Underground Coal Miner.
Served in Canadian Army (1PPCLI)
Chester Taje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:29 AM   #7
Trailer: 73 Boler and 76 Surfside
Yep, there should be more than one answer. I've done everything except as Roger said "stay at home".
danny mcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:37 AM   #8
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Like Ches, I followed the instructions.

Before I got my 13 foot Burro, I had a tent trailer.

Before that, tents and backpacks. And a lot more nergy and constitution
Gina D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:09 AM   #9
Name: Joe
Trailer: Hunter Industries
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
This subject actually touchs a special point for me, and maybe other folks will be able to relate here.

I was a tent camper for my whole life. But several years ago I decided that it was time to 'upgrade'. I knew I didn't want a 100 foot long rig that's more luxurious than my regular home, but I knew I wanted something with a few more creature comforts. AND I knew it needed to be within the tow capacity of my one vehicle, my 2001 Honda CRV, because I sure couldn't afford to have a second vehicle who's only job was to tow an RV. I actually felt I had some pretty simple desires/requirements in a travel trailer. I was looking for:
1. Gross vehicle weight of under 1500lbs (My CRV's capacity)
2. Has a refrigerator
3. Has a bathroom or at least a place for a porta-potty.
4. Has someplace for me to sleep comfortably, and NOT on the ground! hehe
5. HAD to be a fairly low purchase price, $5000 or less. There's no room in this starving college student's budget for a MILLION dollar RV!

The first thing that I heard about/looked at were Teardrop trailers. It had a lot of what I was looking for in a travel trailer, low weight, sleeping area, and SOME actually had a fridge of some sort in the kitchen area. But that low height in the interior made even a porta-potty darn near impossible. Your choice for a teardrop seems to find a vintage one, build one, or buy a brand new manufactured one. None of those seemed very attractive to me. And for some reason, I just felt I wanted more space inside.

Then I saw a CRV like mine on the freeway towing a tent trailer, hey, now there's an idea! So I started researching tent trailers. Sure enough, there are some models that are within my CRV's tow capacity. Some only have a bed on one end, vs the usual slide out at both ends of the rig. Some high end small rigs had fridges. There's almost always room for a porta-potty somewhere. And used prices seemed pretty reasonable. But then I started seeing how the lift mechanisms seem kind of fragile, how leaks weren't that uncommon, how water damage could be catastrophic for the canvas and the wood inside, and on upclose inspection on some rigs just how flimsy the construction was. NOT what I wanted after all...

Then somebody told me about fiberglass trailers... I started exploring the various company websites, then there were enthusiast websites (Like this EXCELLENT one!), Ray Horner's UHaul site, the Shaw's website, there are just some really great sites out there! I learned more and more about the many fiberglass rigs out there, and the more I learned, the more I LIKED!

Through some of the various websites I was able to talk with some other CRV owners, to see who has towed and what we can tow. That was very reassuring. Then when I looked at my first FBRV for sale, the owner was actually nice enough to let me take it for a 'test tow' so I could experience just how easily it would tow. THAT really impressed me! It didn't turn out to be the rig for me, but I learned even more from that experience. So I kept looking, hunting for the right trailer for me. Then I found my little Compact II, wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but I wanted a rig BAD so I went for it! Actually it has grown on my more and more, and I've done a few mods, and it's really a great little rig. PLUS unlike a lot of our FBRVs its short enough (with the poptop down) to fit in my garage, YAY! hehe

Okay, so that was a long story, but that's how I got from a tent to my FBRV!
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:15 AM   #10
Trailer: Play Mor II 1987 and Home Built Teardrop
Yep, more than one answer to that: (Over the past 45 years)

Tent(s); backpacking; homebuilt 4x8x4 box on Utility trailer; Aliner (sold); 4x8 teardrop (homebuilt and sold); 5x8 teardrop (homebuilt- still have it) AND

Now have a 13' Play Mor II. I'm moving up fast!!!!

Geron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:43 PM   #11
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
My camping history as an adult.
Cabin tent and lots of gear. The amount of gear and stuff just kept growing and growing. After about 10 years of that I discovered backpacking. Since the discovery we've embraced the backpacking philosophy. All our camping was done using our backpacking gear. We went to group events at fair grounds, at campgrounds, with the grandkids at campgrounds, remote lakes and streams. It didn't matter where we camped it was all done with our backpacking gear. Usually with our backpacking meals too.

Some things we discovered about ourselves. The real enjoyment comes from the traveling with minimum restrictions. The less we had to mess with gear, the more we could enjoy our surrounding. Once camp is set up, the more time spent getting to know neighbors the better. In this case the neighbors can be tress, flowers, rocks, streams, animals, and possible people.

With all this in mind the switch to simple, no frills trailer was pretty easy. The basic philosophy still holds true.
We haven't totally abandoned the backpack either.

We is Anne and myself.
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:33 PM   #12
Well, definitely more than one choice would help.

I was a backpacker in my youth, then a back-of-pickup camper, then a moteler, with off and on again tent camping.

But the only one of those I did for the pure enjoyment of doing it was backpacking. Otherwise I've been either traveling or at dog shows, not really camping. (And still mainly will use my trailer for that.) It's a different mind-set.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:51 PM   #13
Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
We tent camped first in a 2 man pup tent on part our honeymoon. Yup..

Then we purchased a tent and camped out of our International Scout.

When the kids were young we purchased a used 1965 Ford truck and purchased a brand new Dolphin camper. We kept that until the kids outgrew the camper (to tall for the side dinette).

Skipping many years .. we decided to camp again. That's why we have the Casita Trailer. Great choice for us.

CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:49 PM   #14
What reallly motivated this question was someone commenting that they had started with a 16' TT, then gone to a 24' , then one with slides, and finally a motorhome, all in about 6 years. And it made me wonder what makes some of us satisfied with small trailers when others want to get bigger, longer, shinier. (Hmm, kind of reminds me of those email ads I keep yours big enough?)