pay showers! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2012, 04:55 AM   #41

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... In case of coin-op showers we have two in our Escape!!! One inside and one outside. I just haven't had the nerve to use the outside one tho!!!
Nothing worse than running out of change before the "Job is done".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:19 AM   #42

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Real camping smells bad.
Sponge baths are an option.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #43

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If everyone took a Navy shower, none of the campgrounds would have coin-operated. But, if everyone had a teenage daughter like mine (was) EVERYONE would have a coin-operated shower in their home!

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone conserved water like small molded trailer owners are used to doing...
Amen to that sister!

This is what we use. A few pvc pipes and a shower curtain on the back of the Tril and we're good to go.
enjoy hot water anytime anywhere with zodi on demand hot water and portable hot showers, over 40 camping comfort products
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #44

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I'm always perplexed why those of you with bathrooms (showers) don't seem to use them even when in a full hookup site with sewer connection . If I was hauling a shower around I'd sure use it, plugged in or dry camping.

I hate using public/campground bathrooms so much so that I have had campsites right next to one and use my porta potty rather than their fascility. I opted for no bathroom in my Scamp so I have no choice in the matter for a shower. However I intermingle sponge bathes with actual visits to the shower house. A shower is called for when I need to wash my hair.

I keep a small coin purse with my toileteries and towels in my shower bag so I'm always prepared for coin operated showers.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #45

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Sponge baths are an option.
last time i tried to get a sponge bath ,,,,,the nurse said,,"mr. warren, your just here to get your bloodpreasure checked" hey a guy has to try.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:22 AM   #46
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
One campground we went to solved the water usage issue by placing the push button timer in the dressing side of the shower stall. The water ran for about 3 min. To restart you had to leave the shower side to push the button in the dressing side. Annoying but effective. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:28 AM   #47

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
I'm always perplexed why those of you with bathrooms (showers) don't seem to use them even when in a full hookup site with sewer connection . If I was hauling a shower around I'd sure use it, plugged in or dry camping.
I use campground showers when available for a couple of reasons. Mainly because I don't want all the dampness in my trailer. And, I'm paying for someone else to clean the shower! (It's about a close to a maid as I'll ever get ). My sidebath bathroom also double-duties as a storage closet, but with a "flushy" which I do use. I also fortunately live in a state with wonderful state parks where the showers are kept very clean.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #48

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Quote:
I'm always perplexed why those of you with bathrooms (showers) don't seem to use them even when in a full hookup site with sewer connection
Any place that has full hookups will generally have shower facilities, plus the hot water there doesn't run out. Without hookups, showering in the trailer would mean the gray water tanks fills up quick and I have to dump it. Generally public campgrounds have coin showers, which I don't mind paying for. I remember being really peeved at one fancy private campground in Whistler, after pay $60+ per night, they had coin showers!
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #49

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Public facilities

Quote:
I hate using public/campground bathrooms so much so that I have had campsites right next to one and use my porta potty rather than their fascility. I opted for no bathroom in my Scamp so I have no choice in the matter for a shower. However I intermingle sponge bathes with actual visits to the shower house. A shower is called for when I need to wash my hair.
We have used the shower in our Scamp once and seldom use the toilet except at night or when it's raining . The public facilities in the campgrounds that we have stayed in were cleaner than some peoples homes I've been in and more than adequate . For most people the use of public facilities is not an option , whether at work, school , in the military or away from home you have no choice but to use public restrooms. The shower in our Scamp has limited hot water , is cramped , would quickly fill my grey tank plus I hate cleaning the bathroom so I prefer to use the facilities available and keep my Scamp"s bathroom for another time
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #50

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:

It's beyond me as well, only cause I have a issue with public bathrooms and hate dragging all my stuff to the bathhous! But to each their own.

I will tell you, when we had our rv park I had guest that would use our bathrooms instead of their bathrooms in their Million dollar buses! I never understood! But I think DonnaD may have answered that question, maid service! My bathrooms were spotless! But I still wouldn't have showered in them. That's just me! Guest use to tell me, you could eat off the floors! I would tell them, perhaps but I wouldn't!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #51

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
So I guess when people ask whether to get a bathroom in their trailer we should say "yes, if you need the extra closet space. You'll find you may rarely use it and will opt for using the campground fascilities."

I opted for no bath in my Scamp because I wanted a more open feeling in my 13 footer and I wanted to leave the dinette down as a fulltime bed. So in doing so I have put myself in the position of having to use the campground fascilities for showering. This is entirely different than purchasing a trailer with a full bath.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #52

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
This is entirely different than purchasing a trailer with a full bath.
Simplicity has advantages as well. None of my Trilliums has a grey water tank. Nothing to empty. We do use a small external tank.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #53

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
#1no maintenance on shower and toilet that isn't there
#2 less weight
#3less cleaning
#4 more usable space

stuff like that there
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #54

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I am generally content to leave the sites near the shower house to those without onboard facilities. This is an advantage for them since they need not walk as far to use them.
Having the advantage of onboard facilities myself I am afforded the luxury of not having everybody and their pets walking through my site at all hours.
Of course we may meet fewer new friends as a result.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #55

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
#1no maintenance on shower and toilet that isn't there
#2 less weight
#3less cleaning
#4 more usable space

stuff like that there
yup, yup, yup
Old 08-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #56

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I am afforded the luxury of not having everybody and their pets walking through my site at all hours.
We don't have onboard facilities either but avoid the sites nearest the facilities for other reasons. The young and old may require better access while our pets don't have to be on guard for everything that walks by their temporary home.
As the Jamaicans say " Respect Mon, Respect"
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #57

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's a huge difference between having and not using and using and not needing.

I have a full bath, but so far I haven't "needed" the shower. That's not to say... I never will. It depends on what I need/want every time I camp. I'm glad I have it, even if I haven't used it.

Just like the stove... the bathroom came with the trailer!

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #58

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I just boon docked in my trailer for the first time a few weeks ago...and boy was it nice to have that bathroom onboard!!! I didn't have to worry about bears or cougars on my midnight run to the outhouse. I had a shower that was clean, all my stuff was on hand and no one in my dressing room. Now that I have experienced the difference, I wouldn't trade it for the world. Just my 2 cents worth! Marina
Old 08-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #59

Trailer: Scamp
We camped cross country to the Pacific Northwest this June and the ONLY place we found a pay shower was in a CG just out of Poulsbo, WA. Was extremely unhappy when our two kids went to the showers about 7 PM and found they were pay-to-bathe showers. Cost 50 cents (two quarters) and there was no place to get change as the offic e closed at 5:00 PM. Couldn't bathe and couldn't complain. We packed up and left bright and early the next morning.
mfsray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #60

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
We have not come across any camp grounds with pay showers. We have been to a couple that you had to get the key(or code) from the office when you checked in.These camp grounds had full time(long term) spots as well as over night spots,they kept the restrooms and showers very clean and only overnighters or short term( a week or less) had free use of them. Full timers were charged extra for bathroom/shower keys. I ask about that because I would have thought it would be the other way around,I was told that overnight or short term guest always left them the way they wanted to find them.....but most people that lived there LONG term(full time)tended to take it for granted "the maid" would clean up after them no mater how nasty they left it.

We have a full bathroom in our camper....but we most often camp in parks that only offer elect/water and have free dump station.We use the camper for restroom,but use the camp ground showers....bigger space,more hot water and we all get done at once. When it is just the 2 of us we will use the shower in the camper.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote