pay showers! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Registry
pay showers!

I am staying in a campground near Saxon Wis. They charge .50 cents to use the shower. Has anyone else run into this? They are right on Hwy 2. Non campers were using the facility. Otherwise a decent campground. Lots of camping going on in the area but I haven't seen any other eggs since I got here.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You didn't mention what kind of a campground you are staying in, Private, state, Federal, local, etc. But pay showers are very common. The good news: Pay showers usually work and are cleaner than the free ones. The bad news: I almost always have to go to other campers to beg for quarters.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Pay showers are not allowed in Oregon in public spaces... same with toilets. The voters made that decision years ago. As our former Governor Tom McCall said... no one has exact change with they gotta go! So our state parks are free showers (with paid entrance). I was shocked the first time I camped at the Washington Gathering at Taidnapam. I was so glad I decided to check out the facilities before I needed... I would have been torked had I walked to the shower house in the dark morning hours to find out I needed quarters. At least that next morning, I was prepared. Didn't mind paying, just didn't expect it.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Here at the Vt state parks it's 50 cents for the first 5 minutes and a quarter for each 2 1/2 min. after that. But if it turns off, to restart will cost another 50 cents.

A couple of years ago Maggie and I made a wager that I won. They make a lot more money on the women's shower than the mens.

In the Grande Tetons they have a shower/laundry building. Two years ago a shower was $4. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Some National Parks have pay showers. These are NOT run or maintained by any government agency. They are run by private companies that also run other things like laundry machines, boat rentals, and stores within the parks.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #6

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
showers

my wife Karen and I paid $2.00 ea. , for our last 2 showers of 8 minutes each. We used the shower together and the amount of time was OK.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #7

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
We have had Army Corps of Engineers pay showers.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
When the time's up, the shower ought to be fixed to give you 15 seconds of cold water as a warning so you could rinse off.
I guess there would be a market for a sewn in velcro pocket in a bath towel to hold extra quarters or a timer!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #9

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Several years ago we paid 10 cents for a shower in a campground in Michigan's upper peninsula (U.P. to Michiganders).
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I have paid a quarter for a shower in the mountains in Colorado before and I will wager that NO ONE could use the whole quarters worth up there!
The Coldest Water I have Ever Seen.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
When the time's up, the shower ought to be fixed to give you 15 seconds of cold water as a warning so you could rinse off.
I was annoyed to have to pay 25 cents for 4 minutes in a campground that cost $40. I can take a shower with 4 minutes of water (thanks USN), but not 4 minutes of time. If they are really trying to conserve water/sewerage they should put a pause button that stops the timer as well as the water.

Dick
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If everyone took a Navy shower, none of the campgrounds would have coin-operated. But, if everyone had a teenage daughter like mine (was) EVERYONE would have a coin-operated shower in their home!

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone conserved water like small molded trailer owners are used to doing... or raised children to not be water hogs... and some adults too. But, that's not the case... hence... coin-operated. Forces folks to conserve whether they like it or not...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #13

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
We had paid showers in CA this summer. It was the only place on our 3 week trip that had them. The whole family took less than 4 minute showers (including the teenagers). I was so impressed I am considering one for the house . The campground said they did it for water conservation.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
For home, check water bug.
We've run across pay showers in many places. Notably, (and memorably) a state park in VT, where the coin op didn't work when I was undressed and ready. Not a "happy camper."
Personally, I think pay showers will become the norm, as water becomes more scarce.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #15

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
we've run into them---not often, but i don't mind them. i always keep a number of quarters in my shower bag, just in case. i don't like to be surprised after i walk all the way there, only to discover they are paid.
but, i do agree that paying $40 or more for a campsite and then learning that their showers will require coins does seem a bit "tight".
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #16

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
The pay showers I have met in Canadian parks have been either $1 or $2 - and gave varying amounts of water at varying heat. I remember showering once at a provincial park and being amused by the voices of some young women who were also showering.
Voice 1 - Oh wow - the water is hot.
Voice 2 - Its hot in mine too.
Voice 3 - It is so great to get hot water. I love it. I love it.
Voice 4 - Must be because we not in a national park any more. They are SO rabid about conservation!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #17

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
I stayed at a $38 per week campground in Why, Arizona (known locally as the town without an answer) and they had $.25 showers. Certainly not a bad deal.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #18

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryNPaul View Post
For home, check water bug.
We've run across pay showers in many places. Notably, (and memorably) a state park in VT, where the coin op didn't work when I was undressed and ready. Not a "happy camper."
Personally, I think pay showers will become the norm, as water becomes more scarce.
Sherry
We have pay showers everywhere that we pay for hook-ups.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Have run into pay showers at a lot of state and provincial and most national parks as well as at many private parks. I keep a container of Canadian & US quarters in the trailer along with loonies and toonies just for showers. I seem to think a shower at Death Valley was $4? In Washington State Parks they sell you tokens for 25 cents that are good for 3 min. Only problem is they often dont have anyone in the hut selling them until after 9Am so if arrived after 6pm and no one is in the hut to sell you tokens and you are looking for an early shower you are out of luck.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #20

Name: Jane
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
California
Most of where we camp - California state parks- have pay showers. It's about $.25 for 2 minutes. I keep quarters in my toiletry bag. I don't mind it - it helps conserve water.
Jane