Pensacola Beach FL and Blue Angels airshow - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Pensacola Beach FL and Blue Angels airshow

Anyone headed to the Blue Angels airshow above Pensacola Beach in FL in July? We just reserved a site at Ft Pickens in loop C for the 11th - 15th and would love to see other fiberglass campers there.
Although the airshow is scheduled for Saturday, July 13, it looks like there will also be airplanes in the air in the days leading up to the 13th based on the schedule.
Even though I'm retired Air Force, I always enjoy watching the Blue Angels perform.

Pensacola Beach Air Show
Schedule:
Wednesday, July 10 - Circle and Arrivals
Thursday, July 11 - Practice
Friday, July 12 - Dress Rehearsal
Saturday, July 13 - Pensacola Beach Air Show

Has anyone ever watched the beach show and know the best place to view the performances?
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #2

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
I still remember when my (then) wife and I were in Pensacola right after our second son was born. I was giving a talk at a meeting and she was down on the beach with the boys. Suddenly one of the Blue Angels zipped over. He must have seen her on the beach. It wasn't crowded as it was a cold (70F!) day and the locals weren't around. For the next half hour she was regaled with a private air show! She knew it was for her, because the plane flew low on the way back to base and waggled its wings at her as it passed over. Needless to say, I was jealous!
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
In my over 33 years in Navy training in the Pensacola area, we had many outdoor ceremonies where we had to pause while the Blues flew over. (Pensacola is the home of the Blue Angels.) It was always a pleasant surprise and no one ever seemed to mind the delay.

Fort Pickens is a really nice place, making a comeback after hurricane Ivan pretty much destroyed the place in 2004. Make sure you take the time to visit the National Museum of Naval Aviation - give yourself at least half a day there. You could have also stayed at Big Lagoon State Park which is just outside the back gate to NAS Pensacola. Another nearby campground, but only available to retired military or Navy civilians, is Blue Angel Navy Recreation Park. Campsites are right on Perdido Bay with nothing to obstruct the beautiful view - you can watch the sunset over the bay while sitting in your campsite.

I did watch the beach show once, but it was from a boat, so I'm no help there. My guess is the best place for viewing the show will be right at the big beach where the bridge road ends and you have to go either left or right (toward Ft. Pickens).
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #4

Registry
Uh-oh, they just announced on the evening news that the budget cuts may well cause the cancellation of air shows; they specifically mentioned the July, Pensacola Beach show as one on the chopping block.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Uh-oh, they just announced on the evening news that the budget cuts may well cause the cancellation of air shows; they specifically mentioned the July, Pensacola Beach show as one on the chopping block.
That would be too bad
Guess we would have to just enjoy a couple of days relaxing on the beach! We stayed at Big Lagoon state park about 2 years ago for the November homecoming and enjoyed the night show too. Since they were doing the beach show in July we thought we'd try Ft Pickens, especially now that we have the discount card.
You're right about the Navy museum, I could spend a whole day there and not see everything I wanted to see. Been there about 3 times now.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #6

Registry
Looks like we'll have to plan on the Blue Angels another year. Although they've only cancelled the April shows so far, the rest of the fiscal year is questionable, plus we found out we have an event in TX the same weekend.
Guess we'll move Ft Pickens up to June and visit Pensacola and the museum when it's less crowded, and plan on the Blue Angels another time; once Congress figures out how to run a government.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:12 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I don't understand how consuming vast amount of fuel is a benefit.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I don't understand how consuming vast amount of fuel is a benefit.
I think it's mainly for "public relations," or, more likely, as a recruiting tool. At the last Blue Angel airshow we attended they played very loud music that was obviously designed to appeal to adolescents. It will probably be hard to justify the expense if recruiting goals continue to be met.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
In Canada we have the equivalent ( Snowbirds, I think they're called ). And we don't even have planes for them to fly other than for air shows.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Looks like Korea can put on an air show with the 52 jets we're sending them.
Probably sent them a credit card to fill them with at the nearest WalMart.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #11

Registry
It's official. Yesterday it was announced that both the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds will have no more air shows or appearances this year.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Apparently got lost in Obama's budget of "trillions".
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
It's official. Yesterday it was announced that both the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds will have no more air shows or appearances this year.
That's sad. There are a lot of good military pilots that had their piloting dreams begin after seeing the Blue Angels, Thunderbirds, or Snowbirds performances. They also bring a lot of tourist money to the areas that host them.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #14

Registry
No comment.
Attached Thumbnails
Mail Attachment.jpeg