Personal Safety of Trailer vs. Motorhome - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: Oliver Elite 2
Northern Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I don't think its often quite as easy as getting into the drivers seat and taking off. Many motor homes are connected to electricity, water and sewer. So you have to go outside and disconnect all that stuff to leave.
If you have the time to go properly disconnect, it's not an emergency. If it is an emergency, those don't matter.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:58 PM   #16

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
^ Correct.

And it's probably more often going to be something that happens in a parking lot or other "unofficial" camping spot where you aren't hooked up.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #17

Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
non deadly response

I carry bear spray and pepper spray which is very effective on human intruders.
Walt
MACE would also work although I have never used it.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:10 PM   #18

Name: Diane
Trailer: still shopping
Delaware
I've been following this thread and have been pondering the subject for a long time. I had my heart set on buying a Lil Snoozy for about a year. Went down to the factory and loved the little camper. Then...I started thinking or over-thinking the safety issue. I'd be traveling solo most of the time and, if needed, would want to make a quick escape. So....this weekend I'm going to see some B van conversions. Quadruple the price!!!! I wonder if my goofy, big dogs would protect me from panhandlers? At least, they would scare the pants off of them!
Old 06-16-2017, 05:18 PM   #19

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
We now have two friends that travel with us. They go by the names of Smith and Wesson! Good at making friends...
: Smith and wessy are always not handy when you really need it, then what do u do?
Stude
Old 06-16-2017, 05:21 PM   #20

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
I carry bear spray and pepper spray which is very effective on human intruders.
Walt
MACE would also work although I have never used it.
Enjoy, when the perp slams the door on you and your can of bear spray.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:35 PM   #21

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
: Smith and wessy are always not handy when you really need it, then what do u do?
Stude
Well, if you really need it and don't have it with you, you'll never need it again.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:52 PM   #22

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Absolutely agree with the dog idea and the vehicle key fob (these super new gadgets!) --

Good ideas--good topic for being aware--and glad none of the scenarios here went further than they did!
Old 06-16-2017, 06:14 PM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Panhandlers trade on fear and uncertainty. You have to take charge of the situation. If you're not prepared to do that, perhaps a campground might be better.

I have found a friendly, firm "I'm sorry, but I hope you understand that I simply don't give out cash" is best. I have never been threatened, but I have heard a few muttered cuss words. I am not hard-hearted and have been known to give out a sandwich or bottle of water occasionally, but the vast majority are just looking for cash and quickly move on to look for a softer target.

I used to do much what others describe- either lie and say I have no cash or toss out a buck to get rid of them, but it just didn't feel right to me.

Winslow Walmart is particularly bad in part because it is a popular stop for overnighters. There were a half dozen parked there Wednesday morning when I stopped for a couple of items.

A motorhome does allow you to drive off without exiting your vehicle. With a trailer you have to practice situational awareness- check your surroundings before exiting the camper. My mother frequently travels alone, and for her a Class C, and now a Class B, is the better choice for a number of reasons, security among them. Depreciation is very high on motorhomes, so buying used (with a thorough mechanical inspection, of course) makes a lot of sense if you decide to go that way.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:22 PM   #24

Name: Diane
Trailer: still shopping
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Panhandlers trade on fear and uncertainty. You have to take charge of the situation. If you're not prepared to do that, perhaps a campground might be better.

I have found a friendly, firm "I'm sorry, but I hope you understand that I simply don't give out cash" is best. I have never been threatened, but I have heard a few muttered cuss words. I am not hard-hearted and have been known to give out a sandwich or bottle of water occasionally, but the vast majority are just looking for cash and quickly move on to look for a softer target.

I used to do much what others describe- either lie and say I have no cash or toss out a buck to get rid of them, but it just didn't feel right to me.

Winslow Walmart is particularly bad in part because it is a popular stop for overnighters. There were a half dozen parked there Wednesday morning when I stopped for a couple of items.

A motorhome does allow you to drive off without exiting your vehicle. With a trailer you have to practice situational awareness- check your surroundings before exiting the camper. My mother frequently travels alone, and for her a Class C, and now a Class B, is the better choice for a number of reasons, security among them. Depreciation is very high on motorhomes, so buying used (with a thorough mechanical inspection, of course) makes a lot of sense if you decide to go that way.
Thanks, Jon. I lived and worked in NYC for many years and have no problem telling someone to, "get lost"! However, without a crowd on the street and the current environment of drugs and related crime, just being aware of my surroundings would probably not ease my paranoia. I'm with your mom...B seems the way to go.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #25

Name: Daniel
Trailer: 1994 Casita 16 Liberty
Washington
Camping safety

Camping doesn't seem the same as it did years ago. Campers can become afraid camping. We need to clean up our environment so we can live without fear in our country.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:34 PM   #26

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Enjoy, when the perp slams the door on you and your can of bear spray.
:Glenn good answer as we in Canada cannot carry hand guns unless way up north where they do get permits to carry in case they meet that big bruin of a Moose which are way worse than a Grizzly. I never carried any of those items but I always kept a few cans of Wasp Spray around and I can shoot that up to 25' away and it always works great on the eyes or the wasp. Drop and stop you in your tracks.
Stude
Old 06-16-2017, 10:08 PM   #27
tua

Name: Tua
Trailer: Happier Camper
California
!

I just watched this video a few weeks ago where a guy was sitting inside his motorized RV and all of a sudden the back of the RV was moving. He went outside with his bat and saw someone on the roof trying to steal the solar panel!

Not sure one could just get into the drivers seat and drive off with someone on the roof. "On" the house probably doesn't equate to "in" the house for purposes of justifiable harm to another human being if they are trying to harm.

Key fobs, cell phone, OnStar, Alarms, bats, dogs, guns, traveling in a pack are all great deterrents.

Most people asking for spare change are harmless. They wouldn't knock at your door at 5:30 AM though.

It's the fraction that are addicted to drugs/alcohol who no longer have a moral compass. They will stop at nothing to take something from you. They will continue to steal from you as you are yelling at them. They will break into your TT as you sleep, through windows and doors. Nothing stops them, not even cameras or alarms. Even the police are cautious when confronting them. And as someone pointed out, they go where there are lots of targets.

Oh and by the way, this doesn't just happen to people in TT's. They also break into apartments and homes while people are away or at home sleeping. (Oh the stories I could tell!)

This is a different world we live in and you need to be aware and don't get into a situation, if possible. If you don't travel in a pack, scope out your neighbor boondockers and then meet them for safety purposes if they look OK, (if they don't then get the heck outta dodge!) Be aware of your surroundings.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:39 PM   #28

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Thirteen minutes, thirty-one seconds video.

Closed Thread