Personal Safety of Trailer vs. Motorhome - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 07:11 AM   #61

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
FINALLY! An effective spider deterent!
Old 06-18-2017, 07:35 AM   #62

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
This is nonsense. Nothing good ever comes of debating religion on an RV forum. Please stop.
I was going to say the same thing, and I even went so far as to check the forum rules and guidelines which state in part:
Excessive sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable.

However the same authority also says this:
Public discussion about moderation or moderator decisions is not allowed.

Therefore I did not, and am not, commenting on the discussion of religion in this thread.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:59 AM   #63

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
A little different take on safety of using a travel trailer vs a motor home:

You spend much more of your time traveling, moving from place to place with either option than you do fending off aggressive bystanders. In that light, take a look at the safety of riding down the highway in a vehicle designed with accident protection engineered into it (a tow vehicle) vs a vehicle engineered for extreme light weight convenience (a motor home).

Which will protect you more in a collision, which is a much more likely scenario than an intruder?

RV Motorhome Crash-Worthiness | GrizzlyLaw.com
That's an excellent point. Whenever someone asks whether I'm worried about bears, snakes, crazies, or whatever their camping fear is, I always say that by far the most dangerous part of the time out is the to and from.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:21 AM   #64

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
And I would point out that in my comparison of BC to Florida I wasn't advocating the use of firearms. I was merely pointing out that laws in differing places are not the same. Florida has a "stand your ground" law. BC does not.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:32 AM   #65

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
...You spend much more of your time traveling, moving from place to place with either option than you do fending off aggressive bystanders. In that light, take a look at the safety of riding down the highway in a vehicle designed with accident protection engineered into it (a tow vehicle) vs a vehicle engineered for extreme light weight convenience (a motor home)...
Great point, and a tow vehicle can be upgraded from time to time to take advantage of design improvements affecting safety (as well as performance, utility, etc.) without having to replace the RV coach. I expect my Scamp to outlast several tow vehicles.

Modern vans used in Class B and C motorhomes do have up-to-date safety features. Cockpit protection is better than many Class A's (a point made in the linked article), but the danger of injury from unsecured objects in the coach is still greater than in a separate tow vehicle. Furthermore, as the motorhome ages, you are left with the unpalatable choice between driving an aging chassis (affecting both safety and reliability) or paying a king's ransom for a new motorhome.

Of course, there is a trade-off. Towing adds an element of driving risk of its own. That risk can be managed, but not eliminated.

I don't think there is a "right" choice, only "right-for-you."
Old 06-18-2017, 09:53 AM   #66

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
The "right choice" extends beyond the motorhome, trailer debate. I've arrived at the "trailer" decision after a lifetime of camping in many different ways.

Age plays into it too. So does the financial aspect and the size of your family.

Tents, tent trailers, hotels, camper shells, slide in campers, motorhomes large and small, etc. They all have their advantages and drawbacks.

I've finally settled on trailers, but not a toy hauler and not a fifth wheel and not a sticky.

Sheesh, it goes on and on.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:59 AM   #67

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs02d View Post
I come here for the NOT politics... but since you asked I carry the XM42.

That is really funny. Just what the doctor ordered for.............hmmm......yeah, for what?? Oh, yeah, weed abatement! I'd like to see the holster too.

"wait a minute, you perp!" Now where did I put that operators manual? " Hold on there, I'm almost ready to defend myself!" Now, let's see, light it here, turn that on, prepare to stand by. "OK." " Ready!!"
Old 06-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #68

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
I decided long ago that if I wanted to be happy, comfortable,SAFE, well-fed, and able to pursue my personal favorite activities, I would stay home.

Camping is for other things. Seeing new places. Meeting new people. Overcoming new challenges. Giving Paul and the girls the same benefits, fresh air, a change and break in the usual routine so that the routine feels all the sweeter when we're back to it. I'm well aware some people achieve higher levels of all the good things. Great camping meals. Super comfy nights of restful slumber. Wi-Fi. Etc. I guess I'm just marginal.
Therefore
To whatever degree I can achieve comfort, SAFETY, happiness, regular meals, and pursuit of personal goals on a camping trip is to the good. Anything less I vowed to consider par for the course, and try, at the very least, to make my kvetching about it funny.

Sometimes it all comes together. So far haven't had anything much bad happen.

We have barking dogs, a can of deep woods OFF! and a car alarm fob. We also cultivate the poor and badly-equipped look that we hope makes us less of a target.

Indeed, it is the time on the road that is the most fraught with peril...especially on high mountain roads with steep drop-offs and no guardrails!

A fabulously interesting thread. Almost as good as the sawdust toilet one and the Will the Wind Blow My Trailer Over thread.

Thanks for the reminder of the forum rules..

Hey, Raspy--same for us. After multi choices and trails, finally Settled on a little old egg & a mini-van tow. Best of all we've done so far. Knock wood.

IMHAO.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:47 AM   #69

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Question

To Arm or Not to Arm on the Road or at Home. I will check with my two different neighbors whose homes were broken into in the last 3 weeks, while they were sleeping, if they feel their outlook has changed. Probably fortunate for them in that they slept through it, but?
Old 06-18-2017, 12:54 PM   #70

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandCallie View Post
Well said! Using our "big brains" and a bit of common sense will serve us well. Trusting magic and superstition to keep us out of a jam...not so much.

Referring to Christians as trusting magic and superstition is both ignorant and insulting. We all need to be kind to everyone...
Old 06-18-2017, 01:52 PM   #71

Registry
"Referring to Christians as trusting magic and superstition is both ignorant and insulting. We all need to be kind to everyone... "

Telling people they are being ignorant and insulting is-- surprise-- being the same thing. Reading the whole thread reveals we were well reminded of the forum rules and people above decided to stop talking religion.

Not talking religion on a fiberglass trailer forum is the best idea. Not to push it, not to defend it, and not to insult those who prefer religion not to be preached here.

It's too divisive a topic.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:02 PM   #72

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Referring to Christians as trusting magic and superstition is both ignorant and insulting. We all need to be kind to everyone...
Yes, but he's agreed to move on, and we should too.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:04 PM   #73

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
"Referring to Christians as trusting magic and superstition is both ignorant and insulting. We all need to be kind to everyone... "

Telling people they are being ignorant and insulting is-- surprise-- being the same thing. Reading the whole thread reveals we were well reminded of the forum rules and people above decided to stop talking religion.

Not talking religion on a fiberglass trailer forum is the best idea. Not to push it, not to defend it, and not to insult those who prefer religion not to be preached here.

It's too divisive a topic.

Ignorant is not knowing facts. Being tolerant of anything except Christians is in vogue. I will not stand silent for that.

Like I said we should be kind to one another...
Old 06-18-2017, 02:06 PM   #74

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
But the easiest way to be kind in this case is to stop stirring the pot. The comment was inappropriate, and the poster has acknowledged that. Next topic.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:24 PM   #75

Registry
"But the easiest way to be kind in this case is to stop stirring the pot. The comment was inappropriate, and the poster has acknowledged that. Next topic." __________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close." --rbryan

Agreed.

Let's get back to whether RVs or trailers are safer if you have to take off in a hurry.

It's a good topic.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:17 PM   #76

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Guns and religion, neither a good topic for a moulded fibreglass forum. Everyone has a right to their beliefs but this is not the place to preach them. It would seem that the attitude of some on this thread is WAY scarier than anyone short on their luck looking for a bit of help.

This thread is now closed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Closed Thread