Pet Safety Away From Home - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #41

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Byron,

When you are Boondocking where there are NO pet leash rules, or if you are in a designated no leash area and your furkid bolts, the blinking lights may make all the difference. I was not saying to let your friend off leash when the rules state he should be on leash. Keeping the blinking light on at all times after dark gets him accustomed to living with the flashing light at any time the sun is down. It's a conditioning thing.
Check your laws. Most counties have leash laws, boondocking areas are in counties. Leash laws apply. Besides, dogs disturb wildlife even more when off leash. Disturbing wildlife is also not legal, but is ignored when the dog is on leash. Think about why dog are banned from trails in National Parks.

Also no matter where you go there's a possibility of running into other people. You never know when you'll run into somebody that's been bit a few times that will protect himself even if there's no real threat.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #42

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
[QUOTE=Pete;I also put him IN the trailer whenever there is a chance of a thunderstorm)[/QUOTE]

Something that is worth having in your trailers first aid kit is called Bach Rescue Remedy. It works like a charm at calming down both dogs and people in stressful situations or in an emergency situation and people are getting a little too stressed out while you wait for help. A couple of drops and it claims people and dogs right down. Its carried by a lot of search and Rescue and ski patrol folks here.

I had a dog that during a thunder storm or fireworks would go into a closet and try and dig its way out through the floor. Two drops on its tongue and you would think there was no thunder or fireworks.

Original Bach Rescue Remedy: Rescue Sleep, Rescue Cream, Rescue Pastilles
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #43

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Somebody told me that Benadryl works for dog nerves, too- and also for canine carsickness... anybody ever try that?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #44

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Something that is worth having in your trailers first aid kit is called Bach Rescue Remedy. It works like a charm at calming down both dogs and people in stressful situations or in an emergency situation and people are getting a little too stressed out while you wait for help. A couple of drops and it claims people and dogs right down. Its carried by a lot of search and Rescue and ski patrol folks here.

I had a dog that during a thunder storm or fireworks would go into a closet and try and dig its way out through the floor. Two drops on its tongue and you would think there was no thunder or fireworks.

Original Bach Rescue Remedy: Rescue Sleep, Rescue Cream, Rescue Pastilles

I'm thinking we can use a bunch of that stuff at work!
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #45

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
Thanks for the ideas on how to train the leave it command.

I've got that little plastic dog bone shaped, blinking light that clips on the collar. I use that when out after dark. I also bought a reflective safety vest that I am disappointed in, but still use when on road or near traffic after dark. The vest doesn't fit a Sheltie very well and the only reflective part is two half inch strips. I bought a lighted collar and it was a total disappointment. It was one with the light conducting plastic, but it hardly showed up in the dark.

My dog is a 25 pound Sheltie and pulls two cement blocks off the porch when really wants to go somewhere. He tires real quick though when the blocks don't drag across the ground.

I use either a 15' or 30' steel cable tie outs like these from Harbor Freight
With clips at both ends I can just loop it around anything to anchor it.
I get'em when they are on sale for even less. Half the price or less of a pet store or Wal-Mart.
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #46

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Somebody told me that Benadryl works for dog nerves, too- and also for canine carsickness... anybody ever try that?

Francesca
yes - my last dog had allergies and he needed it to stop him from scratch. You need to be carefull with using it on dogs though (talk to your vet re correct dosage etc) and some can have not so nice side effects from it. Benadryl is fine but some of the other products have stuff in them that is not so good for the dog. Thats the nice thing about the stuff I mentioned earlier, no bad side effects and it will not conflict with any other meds the dog/person may be on.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #47

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
yes - my last dog had allergies and he needed it to stop him from scratch. You need to be carefull with using it on dogs though (talk to your vet re correct dosage etc) and some can have not so nice side effects from it. Benadryl is fine but some of the other products have stuff in them that is not so good for the dog. Thats the nice thing about the stuff I mentioned earlier, no bad side effects and it will not conflict with any other meds the dog/person may be on.
Thanks, Carol

I'm definitely interested in adding the Bach's to my arsenal- especially since it sounds like it'll work on my husband, too
I looked at the site you mentioned and the dose recommendation is kind of general. Do you know if doses are size-dependent? And does it have a "shelf life"?
And can I use the "human" stuff on Millie?
It'd be nice if I could have just one version...
You know what space availability is in our little trailers!

Thanks again...

Francesca
Old 06-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #48

Registry
People have used the human one on pets for years and its only been recently that they started making one just for pets - I seem to recall the pet one is alchol free.

The normal dosage for the human one is 4 drops as it is for the pet one. The nice thing about it is there is no harm done if you give to much. You could always try using just two drops on a real small dog.

yes they have an expire date but some suggest that is a legal requirment and that there is no harm in using after that date. Check with your pharmacist or vet for their thoughts on that.

You can buy it at most pet stores here as well as most drug stores. When I took my first aid course it was on the list of things to always carry with us.

More info on the pet line is found here:
Solutions for pet separation anxiety, excessive barking, naturally calming, different uses of Rescue® Remedy Pet
Old 06-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #49

Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I don't know about BC but in the US dogs are supposed to be on leash even on trails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Check your laws. Most counties have leash laws, boondocking areas are in counties. Leash laws apply. Besides, dogs disturb wildlife even more when off leash. Disturbing wildlife is also not legal, but is ignored when the dog is on leash. Think about why dog are banned from trails in National Parks.

Also no matter where you go there's a possibility of running into other people. You never know when you'll run into somebody that's been bit a few times that will protect himself even if there's no real threat.
While your concern about unruly dogs is well taken, your statements here are not even close to 100% accurate. There is no general "in the US dogs are supposed to be on leash even on trails" rule. There isn't even a blanket national park trails ban (though admittedly, National Parks are not terribly dog friendly and many do ban them from trails). As your second post notes, leash laws are creatures of whatever government has jurisdiction over the area. And while it is true that boondocking areas are in counties, that does not mean the county has jurisdiction, even if we assume that the county has a leash law. National forests are technically within counties, but not subject to the local jurisdiction. And around here, most people would boondock on national forest land that generally does not have leash laws, per se. A common rule here is that your dog must be under your control. In our local open space, it's referred to as "voice and sight command", ie you must keep your dog in sight and your dog must respond to your command. The National Forests around here don't call it that, I don't think. But either way, most definitely NOT "must be on leash" (typically, they must be on leash in developed campgrounds and wilderness areas, only).

As Francesca noted, it's a "depends where you are" situation.

As for suggestions for this thread, microchips are a good one, having a cell phone and having that number on the tag is a good one, bear bells and lights are great. I also like the "disposable" tags idea, I often wonder about that. Not just for when traveling, but for when I am out of town and someone is watching my dog. Because if I am somewhere out of cell range, it doesn't help if the "finder" calls my cell number, I'd rather have them call the petsitter.
LurkerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #50

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
While your concern about unruly dogs is well taken, your statements here are not even close to 100% accurate. There is no general "in the US dogs are supposed to be on leash even on trails" rule. There isn't even a blanket national park trails ban (though admittedly, National Parks are not terribly dog friendly and many do ban them from trails). As your second post notes, leash laws are creatures of whatever government has jurisdiction over the area. And while it is true that boondocking areas are in counties, that does not mean the county has jurisdiction, even if we assume that the county has a leash law. National forests are technically within counties, but not subject to the local jurisdiction. And around here, most people would boondock on national forest land that generally does not have leash laws, per se. A common rule here is that your dog must be under your control. In our local open space, it's referred to as "voice and sight command", ie you must keep your dog in sight and your dog must respond to your command. The National Forests around here don't call it that, I don't think. But either way, most definitely NOT "must be on leash" (typically, they must be on leash in developed campgrounds and wilderness areas, only).

As Francesca noted, it's a "depends where you are" situation.

As for suggestions for this thread, microchips are a good one, having a cell phone and having that number on the tag is a good one, bear bells and lights are great. I also like the "disposable" tags idea, I often wonder about that. Not just for when traveling, but for when I am out of town and someone is watching my dog. Because if I am somewhere out of cell range, it doesn't help if the "finder" calls my cell number, I'd rather have them call the petsitter.
REALLY??? By that way of thinking I don't have to follow hunting or fishing regulations in National Forests, is that right?
Old 06-02-2011, 12:14 PM   #51

Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
No, by that way of thinking you should research what regulations legally apply to you in the National Forest in which you are located. Don't need a law degree, it shouldn't be more difficult than checking that NF's website. Around here, hunting and fishing are governed by state regulation even in the National Forest. See examples here and here. Without doing the appropriate research, I won't assume that state hunting and fishing regulations apply in national forests everywhere, I just know that they do here. I also know that county leash laws do not apply in National Forests here, example here (indicating leashes are required in wilderness and developed recreation areas).

Edited to add: federal versus state jurisdiction is a tricky concept, governed by the constitution, numerous federal laws and centuries of case law. Theoretically, the problem can be made more confusing because the state and feds can often make agreements, whereby state regulation will apply on a particular federal parcel, or that local law enforcement can have responsibility for policing a particular federal parcel. Assuming that all state and local laws apply on all national forests could get you into trouble. For example, "medicinal marijuana" is legal in Colorado, but that doesn't mean it is legal for someone who has a prescription to smoke on National Forest land. Of course, the converse is also true, that assuming that NO state and local laws apply on all national forest land could also get you into trouble. Like, for example, fishing on National Forest land in Colorado without a state fishing license.
LurkerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #52

Registry

Hey, y'all!

How about we all presume that every one of us is a responsible pet owner committed to our pets' safety, the rights of others, and obeying and upholding rules and regs in every case!
We wouldn't be in this thread otherwise, right?
Thanks!

And now- we've got a bucketload of good safety ideas- how about sharing some of the silly things we sentimental types bring along just because we love the critters...
I'd start, but I don't have a picture of Millie's "comfort kit", plus I'm too embarrassed to admit how over the top it is...

Francesca