Pet Safety Away From Home - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2011, 11:24 AM   #21

Name: Sheryl
Trailer: '99 Casita 17'LD
Montana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Sounds like another "depends on where you are" rule...

Another question about pet safety:
Has anyone ever had a pet get bitten by a rattlesnake?
Is there an "emergency kit" one should have?
Millie's the smallest dog I've owned and a terrier that adores poking her face into crevices.
Not a good idea in the rattler country of Eastern Washington!
We're often far from a town, let alone a vet- I fear her small size could reduce the window-of-time to get her to treatment...
Any advice?

Thanks!

Francesca
Check with your vet about vaccination. I know people here who have their dogs vaccinated for rattlesnake bites (before the fact, of course!)--I don't know if it's expensive, if it needs to be done annually, etc.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #22

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Francesca, there is a vaccination and I believe it comes in stages,I have three wieners living in the desert but we always go outside with them and watch for Rattlesnakes. Big dogs can survive a strike if not struck in the head but little dogs have a tough time. I know someone that lost a small dog almost instantly after being bitten by a Mojave Rattlesnake down here.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:37 PM   #23

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl View Post
Check with your vet about vaccination. I know people here who have their dogs vaccinated for rattlesnake bites (before the fact, of course!)--I don't know if it's expensive, if it needs to be done annually, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Francesca, there is a vaccination and I believe it comes in stages,I have three wieners living in the desert but we always go outside with them and watch for Rattlesnakes. Big dogs can survive a strike if not struck in the head but little dogs have a tough time. I know someone that lost a small dog almost instantly after being bitten by a Mojave Rattlesnake down here.
Thankyou both so-o-o-o much for this info- I put a call in to my vet as soon as I saw your posts.
The receptionist was totally flummoxed- we're on the Olympic Peninsula and don't have poisonous spiders, let alone poisonous snakes!
She'd never heard of a "snakebite vaccine", so is checking with the vet about availability here.
This is a real load off my mind. Since snakes don't have ears but are very sensitive to vibrations, I do hang bells on the dog (and myself/grandkids!) when in rattler country in hopes of alerting them to our approach, plus we never stick our hands in crevices. But with Millie's speed and inquisitive nature, I've worried that it's only a matter of time before she gets bitten.

Now I only have to worry about catching her if she does!

One for each of you!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:14 PM   #24

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
We have 3 leash trained cats ..and one that you cant. what id worry about is a dog (leashed or not) attacking them when they're confined to the leash so we dont bring em. Off the leash we wouldn't worry, they're quite capable when free.Some dogs ive seen are usually dragging their owners along and couldnt really be considered leashed.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:49 PM   #25

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
Why is it that when the law states you are to have your pet on a leash, it's only ok for the other guy?
I've been in parks walking our dogs and had other dogs race up as we are trying to get our dogs up and out of the way of their nashing teeth.
OF course it's ok for the other guy to adhere to the law.....
Next time.............it's pepper spray!
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:03 PM   #26

Pennsylvania
ok....I feel better since I got my rant out of the way! lol
Old 05-31-2011, 04:23 PM   #27

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
I leash my dog when a new dog is or one of the many out of control dogs are approaching. In an unfamiliar or new location, I will start with my dog on leash.

When I take him for his almost daily mile or two walk/run around the local neighborhood, I start without him on leash.

He does at all times, when in public places, have the electronic training collar on. I even keep the training collar on when we go to the dog park.

I've taught him the following commands in the ten months I have had him: no, stop, halt, sit, shake (limp paw), lay down, heel (on leash good, off leash not so good), release, stay (on leash good, off leash not so good), and come.

Working on: drop it, roll over, and fetch.

He will chase and retrieve, but not on command only when he wants to.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other good commands to teach a dog?
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:30 PM   #28

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
This is a GREAT thread! Am getting wonderful tips. BTW, last year when we went to Four Paws Kingdom (a camping spot dedicated to adult owners and their pets---WONDERFUL PLACE AAA--in NW North Carolina)---I asked the vet about any health concerns in that area. They were able to investigate the region, and suggest any vaccines, special hints, etc. for us before we set out on a once in a lifetime puggie vacation!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:07 PM   #29

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis F. View Post
I've taught him the following commands in the ten months I have had him: no, stop, halt, sit, shake (limp paw), lay down, heel (on leash good, off leash not so good), release, stay (on leash good, off leash not so good), and come.
I have a very trainable cat (F1 chausie) whom I've taught: up, sit, gimme five, spin (turn around in a circle) and back up, either with a hand signal or a voice command. He also jumps through a hula hoop up to 3 1/2 feet off the ground, and when I arrange the dining room chairs into a circle sans table he'll jump on the one I point to, and even jump through the hula hoop from one chair to another, circus-lion style.

I have been working on training him to run down to the gas station with $5 to pick me up a pint of Haagen-Dasz, CHOCOLATE PLEASE, but no dice so far.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:13 PM   #30

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
I carry Saidie's latest vet report of her vaccines as required by the campgrounds we lived in in Wisconsin. She's done gone past the aggresive stage if she ever had it in her. Hates the leash and teather as she thinks she is being punished for bad behavior and her pooh being picked up behind her. She can't imagine why anyone would want to pick it up and keep it.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:24 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
I sure hope not! Unless it's "Go for Help, Lassie!"
I'm hoping for more suggestions on the topic of the thread...

What other Pet Travelers' safety/comfort tips can folks suggest for less experienced owners like me?

Thanks!

Francesca
Old 05-31-2011, 10:05 PM   #32

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
"Pets should be on leash at all times" yada, yada yada. Yes this is correct in most established parks. But sometimes, you may be boondocking in the wilderness with your well behaved furkid and "STUFF" happens . . . my furkid, Oscar, was off leash, chasing chipmunks under my watchful eye within 50 ft of the campfire in the mountains when a thunderclap from a storm on a nearby ridge resulted in him running for cover just when I wasn't looking.

Oscar does not bark and due to my failings does not always come on command. (He'll stop and sit on command from a distance, but that doesn't help if I can't see him) It was bear and coyote country and darkness was falling. The temp was dropping into the 40s and a light rain began to fall . . . no Oscar. My friends and I searched and called, I sat on a stump and played the Irish Whistle for hours to give him a sense of bearing to us. No luck!

We kept the fire burning and about 6 hours after his disappearance, Oscar slowly walked up to the fire. Needless to say, my terror turned to joy!

Now, anytime Oscar the Smiley Dog is out after dark, whether or not he's on leash, he wears a small, brightly flashing LED light on his collar so he can easily be spotted from a distance. His collar also has my home AND cell phone number for contact information. (I also put him IN the trailer whenever there is a chance of a thunderstorm)
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:59 PM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Now, anytime Oscar the Smiley Dog is out after dark, whether or not he's on leash, he wears a small, brightly flashing LED light on his collar so he can easily be spotted from a distance.
I'm getting some of those!
I'm going to order some extras- my son has an all-black dog that's practically invisible after dark, and more than once, somebody's tripped over him in our campsite. A light on his collar will really help.
I think I mentioned that I put bells on Millie for "snake/wildlife warning"- I also recommend it for "dog location"- it's surprising how far the sound carries out in the wilds. When we're out (in a legal off-leash area ) I'm always listening for her bells and call her back to check in when the sound reaches a certain level. Since she's so short, it's hard to keep track of her visually in brushy/wooded terrain.

The bells do come off at bedtime, though- otherwise it's like trying to sleep in Santa's sleigh

Francesca
Old 05-31-2011, 11:10 PM   #34

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
"Pets should be on leash at all times" yada, yada yada. Yes this is correct in most established parks. But sometimes, you may be boondocking in the wilderness with your well behaved furkid and "STUFF" happens . . . my furkid, Oscar, was off leash, chasing chipmunks under my watchful eye within 50 ft of the campfire in the mountains when a thunderclap from a storm on a nearby ridge resulted in him running for cover just when I wasn't looking.

Oscar does not bark and due to my failings does not always come on command. (He'll stop and sit on command from a distance, but that doesn't help if I can't see him) It was bear and coyote country and darkness was falling. The temp was dropping into the 40s and a light rain began to fall . . . no Oscar. My friends and I searched and called, I sat on a stump and played the Irish Whistle for hours to give him a sense of bearing to us. No luck!

We kept the fire burning and about 6 hours after his disappearance, Oscar slowly walked up to the fire. Needless to say, my terror turned to joy!

Now, anytime Oscar the Smiley Dog is out after dark, whether or not he's on leash, he wears a small, brightly flashing LED light on his collar so he can easily be spotted from a distance. His collar also has my home AND cell phone number for contact information. (I also put him IN the trailer whenever there is a chance of a thunderstorm)
Sorry Pete, but pets should be on leash at all time except in a designated off leash area. PERIOD>
Old 05-31-2011, 11:25 PM   #35

Registry
But Byron, That's what Pete said!

Just look at us !
We're all on the same page if we read it right

Francesca
Old 05-31-2011, 11:31 PM   #36

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Sorry Pete, but pets should be on leash at all time except in a designated off leash area. PERIOD>
Byron,

When you are Boondocking where there are NO pet leash rules, or if you are in a designated no leash area and your furkid bolts, the blinking lights may make all the difference. I was not saying to let your friend off leash when the rules state he should be on leash. Keeping the blinking light on at all times after dark gets him accustomed to living with the flashing light at any time the sun is down. It's a conditioning thing.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:23 AM   #37

Trailer: Boler 1984
Large eyebolt and washers
Juice can full of cement
Lead length of choice

We've carried this simple little home-made device for many years and have used it with several different small dogs and cats up to about twenty pounds. It can be put out directly on the ground or draped over a picnic table seat etc. for additional support.
Attached Thumbnails
012 (800x533).jpg  
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:22 AM   #38

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Large eyebolt and washers
Juice can full of cement
Lead length of choice

We've carried this simple little home-made device for many years and have used it with several different small dogs and cats up to about twenty pounds. It can be put out directly on the ground or draped over a picnic table seat etc. for additional support.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////
Great idea!
I also like the one with the blinking light. I can probably use one off of my road bicycle.

I will say this......I use to hunt grouse and ringnecks when I was younger....IF we ever lost a dog and after hours of searching we would leave a coat with our scent on it at the last place we saw the dog. Chances are your dog will come back to that spot and lay down on the coat and be waiting for you that evening or the next morning.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #39

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
One more to your list, I have this and the leads mentioned, works great and no more tripping over the chains-http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/62063?feat=2-SR0- now why didn't that work?
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/62063?feat=2-SR0
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:33 AM   #40

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Leave it and Take it. Leave it comes in very handy most days. You can use it to stop them from eating or touching pretty well anything in the house or approaching people you dont want them to approach. Its really good for stopping them from taking a cookie or ice cream cone out a small childs hand dangling out of a stroller at the park. :-) or stop them from eating something it finds very dead in the woods that it thinks might be tasty. Ugh Easy to teach as you can start teaching it by using their own food bowl or a handfull of treats or a fav toy a few feet away from them on the floor. Take it is used when they can go ahead and eat or take what ever it is you told them to Leave in the first place.

I have found that one of the big keys to teaching a dog any new trick is to never repeat a command. If the dog ignores you just go just go over to it and put it back into what ever position you originally ask it to be in without saying a word. If it gets it right - reward reward reward. The best way to teach a dog not to come when called is to stand there and keep giving the hand signal and calling its name and come over and over :-) or worse still use harsh words with it when it does eventially come or you go over to get it. If the dog has learned it can ignore being called you may want to come up with a new recall word/command other than come and start teaching it over with the new word and lots of treats. Keeping it on a long line when first teaching it to come always helps - then you dont need to go to it - just reel it in. :-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote