Pet Safety Away From Home - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #1

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Pet Safety Away From Home

Hi, all!

Since lots of us travel with pets, I thought it'd be interesting for us to share tips about how we care for them while we're traveling.

Here's one I came up with after I nearly lost my newly adopted Rat Terrier last year.
The first time I took Amelia Airhead (Millie) camping she "escaped". I was camped in a remote spot, and when she didn't return to my call, I jumped in the car and headed out to look for her. I almost immediately spotted her a ways down the road next to a stopped vehicle.
The local farmer in it had been about to scoop her up and take her to the local shelter!
He told me that the area I was camped in is a frequent dumping spot for unwanted animals, and he'd delivered more than one to the shelter.
Since she was wearing name/phone#/license tags and microchipped, I certainly would have eventually retrieved her, but it set me to thinking...all the info on her tags and chip is connected to my home! Fat lot of good that does when I'm traveling, especially since I don't have a cell phone. I decided that most folks like that nice farmer would look for identifying info on a pet's tags, and if the RIGHT info was there, they'd scout around a bit for the owner.
Just about every Wal-Mart has one of those tag engraving machines, so as soon as I could I stopped at one and designed a traveling tag for Millie's collar. It took quite awhile since there's a limit to what can be crammed on the tag- fortunately it's a computer-design system that shows previews, which allows for revisions before the tag's actually engraved.
The tag below is what I finally came up with and though Millie's not the escape artist she was at first, I'm a lot more confident that if she does stray again, a well- meaning stranger will soon be able to connect her to me

Francesca
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #2

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
An excellent idea!

Old 05-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #3

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
what about putting your vehicle license Plate mabye in place of city and town since you probably wont be near there anyway. Then have her 2nd tag with all the usual home info etc.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #4

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I actually put my mobile phone number on my dogs tags.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
what about putting your vehicle license Plate mabye in place of city and town since you probably wont be near there anyway. Then have her 2nd tag with all the usual home info etc.
Hi, Melissa

I thought the town and state would clue in a finder that Millie isn't a "local" stray!
There wasn't room for the plate # too, so I figured that the description of my combination would suffice for anybody that's eyeballing nearby vehicles.

Especially since there'd be a wild-eyed frantic woman in it hollering
"MILLIE! COME HERE THIS MINUTE!!!" out the window

Plus Washington issues new plates every few years. I'm on my third set with the Kia!

Francesca
Old 05-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #6

Name: Anne
Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Oregon
Registry
One thing that I did was to get a whole box of split ring key tags from Office Depot. They're only a few bucks for about 50 of them, so you can update the tags as you move around. They're quite sturdy and hold up well.

When I'm in a campground, I put the CG info including site number on the tags and any other info I think may be helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
misc 002.JPG  
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #7

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
Yet another great idea!
Old 05-30-2011, 05:37 PM   #8

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Since my my Kyno is also a 'runner, I keep him on a 15ft lightweight tieout that's attached inside my trailer. He can go in and out at will, but can't get away. I keep him leashed during the day, and unhook him when I'm locked up inside for the night. He has the ID tag with my phone number, but I should also work on training him to come when called ( duh, what a concept )
Old 05-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #9

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I suggest that you also make sure your pet is licensed at home address. The numbers will make tracing the owner much much easier. Also micro chip your pet. Again this makes recovery much easier.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #10

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I thought the dog was supposed to be on a leash.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:21 PM   #11

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
I'm assuming that a dog gets loose, because they bolt when the door is opened (since most people don't keep their dogs tied when inside the trailer.) I'm a worry wart and just feel better to keep him leashed in and out of the trailer - that way I can keep the door open all the time. I didn't even mention a dog license bcause I assume that everyone with a dog has it licensed. I've been considering microchip.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:52 PM   #12

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Dog license, not. My dogs can't drive.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #13

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
I agree Pam & Greg, the pup needs to be on a leash BEFORE my door is opened. The only time he gets to run is in our back yard (which is fenced) or the dog park. I also put a tag stating a hefty reward for the dogs return should he for some reason end up off the leash.
Interesting story just recently on City Data where a young gentleman found out both his dogs got out of his fenced yard (gate left open by mistake), long story short, he recovered one within a short period of time and the other little pup was found by him 14 days later! This was in an area that had gators and what not. Small dogs are easy pickins. He stated that it was a tearful reunion! I can only imagine.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #14

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
When Sadie was young she used to like to go for walks with anyone up to the park next to our house. People would assume she was lost and take her home, read her tag then call us wanting to know where 123 Quarry Street was. Duh. One time they even called from the park. She got to be buddies with the police department too without even doing anything wrong.