Pet Trackers - Do you use one? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-08-2017, 05:10 PM   #15

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Bobbie--exceptionally clear post about drawbacks to current GPS systems...we hadn't heard of them before but from now on I'll be alert to the idea...sounds like right now it's not worth it. Ours are microchipped and we're careful with leashes and x-pen...but do know the unexpected can happen.
I've seen some new ones advertised that appear to have the collar thickness more under control, but I'm not going to experiment again. Jack hasn't been lost for almost a year (he has a tendency to do walkabouts in the neighborhood and coyotes, not cars, are the concern) as he is over 12 now, and the other two don't do it.

One nice thing about how the Whistle is supposed to work is that the base station is easily moved- so camping you could plug in in your trailer and be notified- not if they left your site, but if they left a larger area, and more likely you'd see your dog go and be able to track him. Or if your dog is left with a petsitter you'd get the notifications wherever you are- I've heard of a few too many petsitters NOT notifying the owner when the pet disappeared. But unless you can trust it, it isn't worth the money. (It was about $7 a month for a two year contract plus $60 for the tracker.)

Beware of trackers that only work on Bluetooth and rely on other people having the same app on their phone!

Old 01-09-2017, 08:22 PM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
In our 'neck-of-the-woods', a few friends (and visitors) have GPS systems for their dogs. But they are being used so the owners can track their dogs, to give the owner a a better chance to locate the associated deer or moose! Knowing where the dog is located helps the dog owner find his dog, during and at the conclusion of the hunt ! Twice, I've found loose dogs wandering well away from hunting areas, with GPS collars on; and have been able to reunite the dog with the hunter. Just another twist on the usefulness of the GPS device !

Old 01-09-2017, 10:51 PM   #17

Name: Brenda
Trailer: Past Boler owner, looking at Escape
Alberta
I live on a farm and although I have a 3 acre fenced yard, 2 of my dogs sometimes get out and take off, causing me concern. I haven't received it yet, but I ordered the Findsyet Duo, which had a Kickstarter campaign going. It had some features that I really liked. It should be coming soon and then time will tell. Sorry I don't have a link, but a Google search should turn it up.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:51 AM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
One of the last years I tent camped my dog slipped under the tent flap to see where I had gone to (I was visiting the "bushes") in the middle of the night. I never heard him. He was nearly deaf and never heard my calls. All the rest of the stay in the state campground I searched and talked to other campers. Called the pet shelters in the area over the next month. No luck.

I was devastated and convinced that I couldn't handle the responsibility of a pet. I've sort of half forgiven myself after 15 or years. I'm thinking I might venture another dog after I retire in the next year or two. I'm inclined to get a Garmin unit. No service to buy or dependance on cell phone coverage as the collar broadcasts it's location which the GPS unit can home in on.