Pets - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2014, 08:00 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Pets

A reason to have or not have pets in your trailer depending on your need.

Couples having less sex in 2014 because of financial woes, and pets sharing the bed - Health News - Health & Families - The Independent

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:17 AM   #2

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I love animals, but everything has its place. When I had my dog, I used to have a small couch in my room...I allowed the dog to sleep there at night. Sometimes on the weekend morning I would wake up and invite her up on the bed, but she knew never to jump up there if I didn't say it was ok. I know a couple who had to go out and buy a king sized bed to allow their 2 Lab's to sleep with them...I would never allow it....but that's just me.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #3

Name: Anne
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
For most of the 40 years I've trained and trialled my dogs they each had a soft bed of their own in my bedroom. So I can't explain how or why my (now 13yo) Aussie started sharing my bed. She is definitely the most wicked smart of all the dogs I've known, so she figured it out somehow. And once she was up there, in all fairness I couldn't deny the other one his chance. But I sleep in a twin bed and would make them sleep in a different ROOM before I would part with money and floor space to get a larger bed just for them! But then, I expect my dogs to pull their weight in some way, unlike the majority of lawn ornament/toys that I see. (Yeah, you don't want to hear my opinions about child rearing!)
In return, my dog gets excellent medical care, food, mental stimulation and appropriate concern for her emotional well being. As an athlete, she is a little slower but still very active at 13. And she gets to be my partner, not a pet.
However, I think she may be my last dog (hopefully in another 3 or 4 years) as I want to have more freedom for travel and housing. So I understand the no pet policy that some RVers have chosen.
Fire-N-Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #4

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
We've just taught our two dogs to wear blind folds and to not laugh when we're being intimate........
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:10 PM   #5

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
But that's why they're called "watch dogs"
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:34 AM   #6

Florida
Jerry, Pretty funny thought. Waiting for a picture of your dog with blind folds.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-22-2014, 06:42 AM   #7
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
My dad used to say...."I luv animals, as long as they are someone else's".

I guess I grew up with the same mindset. There is enough going on in my life to take up all the time.

PS... but, I always find time to walk over to pet my neighbors dog when ever I see him lounging on the front lawn. There is something special about the wagging tail when I head in his direction.

PS2..... A few years ago we made friends with a couple in the campground. They invited us over to their campfire and shortly after it started to rain. The four of us ended up in their trailer for a glass of wine. The smell of their two wet dogs was just plain nasty. What a turn off.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:47 AM   #8

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Our toy poodle of 14 years started wanting to sleep with us approximately six months before she passed away. Recently our Schnoodle that will be 16 years old in October started wanting to sleep with us four months ago. We tried to insist he sleep in his bed side kennel that he has used all these years. However, he eventually won out with constant crying and pawing at the kennel. So, I think sometimes you have to do what you feel is best in your heart.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:51 AM   #9

Florida
Most people really like other people's pets, often liking them better than other people's children. Like children, pet's, particularly when doing more than weekend camping are 'shackling' making it more difficult to travel.

As I often say, "no pets, more petting". The above article was the first time I've seen statistical backup for the statement.

Pets, that wagging tail, are great unconditional lovers, ideally how you would like your partner to behave.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-22-2014, 09:36 AM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
What is this Sex you speak of? Guess that question shows I am a broke pet owner. Actually, a title comes to mind; "Sex and the single Scamp".
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:52 PM   #11

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Someone told me this once: put your best friend , your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car, leave them there for an hour - than let them out and see which one still likes you!
With 50 years of dog companionship and 5 different dogs, where I go they go.
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #12

Name: Tom
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjp447 View Post
Someone told me this once: put your best friend , your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car, leave them there for an hour - than let them out and see which one still likes you!
With 50 years of dog companionship and 5 different dogs, where I go they go.
Welcome to the forum Bruce! I like the way you think.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote