Pets and Camping - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2009, 09:19 AM   #21

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Aww, Steve, tough decision---but you obviously thought it through with your head, and made what is best in your life right now. (I tend to do all my thinking with my heart---not always a good idea!)

Gone are the days when you throw the dog a bone and fresh water. Last year we spent $300 having dental work and extractions done on Skippy. And then there's all the regular shots, and, oh yeah, the special dog food for his pancreatitis. Not to mention this year when Elli Rose hurt Skippy's eye ($112). And now we're planning the vacation around their happiness (BTW, Brian, thanks for that Casita Four Paws info--cool!)

Lest you think I may be alittle crazy--let me assure you--I AM. We also have 2 Guinea Pigs, and I've spent bazillions on them, too! When we accidentally found out ButterCup was a boy, (not the advertised female), I rushed them to the vet, where Peanut was given an Ultra-Sound to see if she was pregnant. All this for 2 $24 pets. They live in a huge(separated) pen complete with fleece flooring--in my living room! (I've been told my house does not stink--I hope my friends are being honest.)

I got this way from parents who took our 59 cent anole (lizzard) with us on vacations to South Dakota and Minnesota.

Anyway, since my hubby puts up with all this, and rarely tells me NO, why is he being so stubborn about getting a fiberglass palace??????? Hmmmmmm maybe I should trade him in for a bird!!!

Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:12 PM   #22

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
So---how crazy are we?? On Aug. 31 we will leave Omaha NE, and drive 17 hours to go to a DOG camp for 3 days and 4 nights, then back home. I'll let you all know how it is. I'm so excited I could scream, (but wish I was making the trip with my own fiberglass home!)
Vickie, you are NOT crazy.
One of our favourite vacations is a long (5 day) weekend held annually in NW Pennsylvania that is totally about the dogs. It is a breed specific (Rhodesian Ridgeback) event with every activity possible for the breed. It's held on an old previously Amish farm and most people camp on-site. We've been twice now and will likely go again. Many of the participants come from both coasts to be there.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:48 PM   #23

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Penney and Mike--how "good" can he be---if he won't let me get a camper! Today his MOTHER even chimed in with "you don't want a camper." Well, thanks for the info (She didn't think I should have a third child, either--but that turned out OK!)

Carol Ann---Viva le animal lovers!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #24

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Quote:
Lately, we've been thinking about getting a little dog. It's been several years since our 14 year old cat passed away and now may be the time to get another pet. Since we're relatively new to RVing we were wondering how well a dog would adjust to traveling. Are they allowed in campgrounds? Are there any other things we should consider relative to camping with a pet? The dog we were considering is a toy poodle. Our next door neighbor recently bought one but it is not fitting into their family very well and is being somewhat ignored, sadly to say. They have asked us if we wanted to adopt it but so far we've held off taking on such an important commitment. I did a little reading about toy poodles last night and they seem to be a good match for us based on their temperment, etc. Well, it might be a more appropriate match for me if we selected a slightly dumber dog according to my wife. She says the dog has already been teaching me tricks when he escapes and gets me to come out and play with him.
I wish my cat (cinncinati ) didnt get car sick in less than 300 feet...he's a cool cat otherwise.....id take him
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #25

Trailer: 12 ft Chariot (Stealth Egg) and 1987 Casita Liberty Deluxe
My traveling buddy started his first trip 12 years ago by throwing up on the truck seat, he now has well over 100,000 miles under his belt and his love of travel is second only to his love of Frisbee.

He is 125 lbs and any place that would not allow him is not a place I care to visit anyway.

I could not imagine a trip without him.
DayTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:46 AM   #26

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
***Train the little one to hide in a purse if you must, and take it with you. My friend from Portland, Oregon took her Poodle into grocery stores, shopping centers, resturants, etc.***

In my opinion, that is so wrong, and on so many levels. Sorry - just my opinion.

Quote:
I vote for the dog too. Nothin like a loving little companion to travel with.
Pets can be a problem if it is hot outside, and you want to eat in a resturant or sight see where pets are not allowed(as you can not leave them in a hot car or camper.)
Train the little one to hide in a purse if you must, and take it with you. My friend from Portland, Oregon took her Poodle into grocery stores, shopping centers, resturants, etc. That little Poodle stayed in its purse even if the purse was sitting on the floor in a cafe. I could not belive it. Little Bubba went everywhere she went and no one ever questioned her as to why she carried 2 purses
I took my Nicky into cafes, church, and shopping centers a few times in an extra purse. No one knew he was there.
I do remember going tent camping yrs ago way up north in the wilderness where there were no fast food places. We did not eat all day due to not wanting to leave Tina in the car while going into a cafe. That was the only time I was sorry I had her along.
I bought my camper mainly for the dogs. I wanted a place I could leave them for a little while if I wanted to go somewhere they could not go.
Yep, I vote for getting the dog.
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:58 AM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
***Train the little one to hide in a purse if you must, and take it with you. My friend from Portland, Oregon took her Poodle into grocery stores, shopping centers, resturants, etc.***

In my opinion, that is so wrong, and on so many levels. Sorry - just my opinion.
Pets do not belong in grocery stores... and it's an Oregon law. Only service animals are allowed: Oregon Reminds Grocery Shoppers: No Dogs Allowed
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #28

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Same is true here in Texas. Several Dallas area resturants have recently opened outdoor eating areas where dogs are welcome.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote