Pick your route? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #21

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
I too have the Walmart Rand McNally! I didnt know you could request maps from states. I thought I'd need to buy maps for each state I was traveling in. Thank you!So are the state maps better detailed/clearer than a road atlas? Isn't an atlas suppose to eliminate the need for individual state maps? Boy, I've missed a lot traveling exclusively on interstates all my life. Well, I'm only 40 so I still have a lot of years to learn to navigate by ways other than interstates. I worry about folks who cant read a map period and rely 100% on their GPS. I've always carried an atlas in my vehicle 100% of the time for just in case. How did you find those 3 state parks on the route Joy mentioned?

Joy, how did you know Hwy 82 was four lane like an interstate? And how do you know the route you chose didnt go through miles of town with stoplights or turn into a dirt road? This is the stuff I have to learn. I can go coast to coast on an interstate system but now I need to expand beyond that and actually enjoy the journey unless I'm time crunched. But I do hate a gazillion stop lights, lol.

Keep the info flowing! Thanks!
Old 03-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
Hi Melissa,
I travel long distances a few times each year; 2,000 miles plus. I usually start with Google maps and avoid tolls. Then I switch on 'terrain' to see if the initial route provided has lots of hills or mountains. I can drag the route line to avoid terrain I'm not happy with....
Cheers,
Barrie
I would like to know where you are finding these features! Terrain view sounds very handy. But when I go to maps.google.com all it lets me do (as far as I can tell) is type in a location, and it shows that place. I can zoom in or out, and that's all. Where are these terrain and route features?

I am aware of yahoo maps, which take beginning and destination points and show a route. But I don't know of any terrain feature there, either.

Are you going to a different web address than I? Or am I missing the obvious? (It wouldn't be the first time.) Thanks for educating me.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #23

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Mike, I put Tulsa in my search box, then I clicked on the map of Tulsa.

You need to keep poking at stuff till you find stuff! Go over to the top right of the map, you should see Earth and Map. Scroll down map (more info) and find terrain. You should then have the view from space. There is also a place to find pictures, someone might even have taken one of your street!

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Mike, I put Tulsa in my search box, then I clicked on the map of Tulsa.

You need to keep poking at stuff till you find stuff! Go over to the top right of the map, you should see Earth and Map. Scroll down map (more info) and find terrain. You should then have the view from space. There is also a place to find pictures, someone might even have taken one of your street!

Nancy
Wow, thanks! All I had to do was mouse over the 'satellite' box and the terrain option appeared. Nice!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #25

Melissa,

Usually the US road atlas type things have a page something like "Tourism Tools at your Service" where they give 800 numbers for state tourism. Better hurry, with all the state budget cuts there may no longer be free maps.

I found the state parks just by following the route on the map that Joy suggested. In Alabama there is a ?Blandon/Biadon? state park just north of Camden on the Alabama River. East there is a Blue Springs State Park just near Blue Springs. My map is quite old, maybe these parks are now gone. I'll go look at a more recent atlas.

Also I noticed on the state maps that the route I mentioned had yellow line which means divided.

Nancy
Old 03-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #26

Alabama State Parks

There are only 10 campsites at Bladon Springs and 50 campsites at Blue Springs.

I'll bet one has to be like Joy and have reservations for every night of one's trip (almost).
Old 03-20-2011, 12:25 PM   #27

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Ok, I'm starting to get it now. Once you start looking hard your eyes kindof block out other distracting lines and you can follow the roads better. I did find 2 of the state parks when I began looking for the little tree signs on the map. Those were in Alabama, didnt find a 3rd but maybe I missed it in GA. So the more you look at the map the more you can pick out I gather. At least till you go crosseyed, lol. My Atlas calls Hwy 82 "other multilane highway" since it's orange. Then the red lines are "other through highway". So I guess that means like through the state?

Thank you, I'm learning and figuring out how to decipher this Atlas, lol. Now I wonder what the state maps look like??? I'll order them right away. Shoot, maybe I'll order as many as I can so I'll have them before they go away.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #28

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
((Joy, how did you know Hwy 82 was four lane like an interstate? And how do you know the route you chose didnt go through miles of town with stoplights or turn into a dirt road? This is the stuff I have to learn. I can go coast to coast on an interstate system but now I need to expand beyond that and actually enjoy the journey unless I'm time crunched. But I do hate a gazillion stop lights, lol.))

Melissa, I generally start with the Atlas just sitting around looking at it for the best way to avoid large towns. At the top of the page it shows map symbols for type of roadway. Unpaved roads are identified. As far as town sizes the size of the dot will give you an idea of the size of the town. In the Atlas Atlanta and other large towns are hilighted in yellow, the next smaller towns are a circle and then the little towns are black dots. I'll bet most of the black dots don't have signal lights maybe a stop sign or two and some barely have a building or sign to identify them as you travel through. It's amazing how many little towns are still on maps but really don't exist anymore. "barely a dry spot in the road"

State Maps are generally twice the size of a state map in an Atlas therefore are more finite with information, roads, historical sites etc. Such as "Georgia's Museum of Agriculture and Historic Village" in Tifton. Far enough out from the coast that it would be a good stopping point to stretch ones legs. Maybe interesting and may not. But that's how you find the little gems in this big country.

<<<There are only 10 campsites at Bladon Springs and 50 campsites at Blue Springs.
I'll bet one has to be like Joy and have reservations for every night of one's trip (almost).>>>

Nancy, I don't have reservations for every night of my trips. Generally only in populated areas, holiday weekends or areas I know are very popular with people.

I wouldn't have reservations at any of those SP's you mentioned as they are not near populated areas. And Roland Cooper SP near Camden is on my route 10 not Blandon Springs.

I'd probably go into Blue Springs for a site for the night, then head up to Eufaula to tour the Homes. This would depend on what time I arrived. If it was late I might stay 2 nights giving me the next day to tour the Homes and not be rushed.

Melissa,
I have to preface all my remarks by saying that I have virtually all the time in the world to do a trip. But all this jabbering gives you an idea of how to plan a trip based on your time frame. Being young and maybe working you might just have to do freeway/expressways/multilaned highways.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #29

Hi Joy,

Yep, I had the wrong park. Can't see very well, so handed the atlas to Fred and asked the name of the park.

Don't know how I will navigate with paper map. I'll try magnifier. If it is a real problem, then maybe it is time to have surgery. Can still read books, but tend to look for large print now.

I agree about mid week not usually needing reservations. Unless you want to camp in highly popular areas. I have no idea how camping is in the SE.

How do you find the community parks? We seem to stumble on them. I wonder if some of the nice GPS units have all those listed. They seem to me to be a best kept secret. Some of those smaller BLM and community parks we have found by stopping at tourist places too.

Nancy
Old 03-20-2011, 10:52 PM   #30

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I use the internet to google a certain area or community to find campgrounds. Often I'll put in the city or county name and do a search. And yes, often just stumbling on them, but that's another gem in this big wonderful country.

Melissa, in the Walmart Atlas the county names are written in a gold color. If you look at Brunswick, GA you'll see GLYNNin gold just above and if you look closer you can see the county outlined with a gold broken line.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote