Pie Iron Cooking - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Pie Iron Cooking

I did a quick search and couldn't find anyplace that this subject has been addressed. Those that like cast iron cooking with skillets or dutch ovens might also like cooking with pie irons. We've had a couple pie irons bouncing around in the back of the truck for a few years and never used them. Then I saw a bunch of youtube videos about pie iron cooking. One more had to be purchased, now there's three and we've used all three. We have a double square that we cooked stake in and toasted cheese sandwiches. The round one we made our version of egg mcmuffins, the third one is a waffle iron, and we've made waffles in it.
Heat sources include charcoal, camp fire, camp stove, and living room fire place.
If want to know a bit more watch some of the Youtube videos at pie iron cooking - YouTube

Ham Breakfast Sandwich in Rome Pie Iron - YouTube
Old 11-25-2013, 01:17 AM   #2

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Interesting... makes a nice small meal!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The small round ones make outstanding grilled cheese and pocket sandwiches as well. I learned how to use one of these as a Cub Scout (like in the early 50"s).

These all but disappeared in the U.S. for about 40-50 years. After looking forever, I finally found one at a yard sale about 10 years ago, then discovered that the Aussies also had them, and in a number of different shapes.

The one I originally used is still in service at my ex-wifes in WA, it dates from the 40's, if not before.

I keep one in each of my rigs.

Beware, some are aluminum, not so easy to cook in as, unlike seasoned cast iron, everything can stick.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
We also have a selection of shapes and sizes which we use all the time while camping. You can cook almost anything in them, eggs, meat, grilled sandwiches, ....

I also agree that aluminum and cheaper cast iron don't work to well. The best irons we have found are Rome http://www.romeindustries.com/castironpieirons.htm
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
We also have a selection of shapes and sizes which we use all the time while camping. You can cook almost anything in them, eggs, meat, grilled sandwiches, ....

I also agree that aluminum and cheaper cast iron don't work to well. The best irons we have found are Rome Rome's Original Cast Iron Pie Iron Designs
Rome seems to be the brand of choice. I have one ChampChef, which works ok.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #6

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I bought mine about 2 years ago at an Eddie Bauer outlet for 1/2 price. I enjoy making desserts with mine as we don't get hot coals until after the fire has been going and that's after dinner when it's dark. I sewed a custom drawstring bag made of black nylon to keep mine in. It fits nicely into the wheel-well section of the Scamp closet.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
While I do like most of the creations you can make in a pie iron, I found we rarely used ours, so last year when we do our spring clean out of little to non used items, it got pulled. Lots of other ways to make the same things, the pie irons are just fun though. They now reside out at our rec land permanently, where we do spend a lot of time camping, and they get lots of use there. Like Gilda, I think ours gets used for deserts more than anything.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 76 Honey Neonex Boler
Registry
Thanks Byron for the YouTube links. I'm always looking for new filling ideas for my pie irons. It' s become a tradition to do one pie iron meal on our Fall camping trip.
Karen L W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Pie irons can be fun... but time consuming when all you want is a grilled cheese sandwich. BUT, it can be a memory maker if you've got a young person along on the camp trip. So, while you may not want to take your pie irons along on every trip... if you do and there are kids involved... MEMORY MAKER!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Pie irons can be fun... but time consuming when all you want is a grilled cheese sandwich. BUT, it can be a memory maker if you've got a young person along on the camp trip. So, while you may not want to take your pie irons along on every trip... if you do and there are kids involved... MEMORY MAKER!
True, but sometimes there's really no other way. I have waffle iron made like a pie iron. Since I'm never where there's electricity it would be useless to carry an electric waffle iron, but cast iron waffle pie iron make wonderful waffles. A nice leisurely breakfast of fresh cooked waffles is a nice way to start a day.

As for other things, kids aren't necessary, shoot all of retired folks are just grown up kids.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
There's a website that shows how to cook a whole meal using a drip coffee pot. (salmon, couscous, and steamed broccoli).

But I'll take my salmon grilled over a fire, or in a pie-iron!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
we used to just use buttered (on the outside) bread, put pie filling in the middle and cook. Also did the same with pizza sauce and pepperoni in the middle. Both were hits at the campfire.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
There's a website that shows how to cook a whole meal using a drip coffee pot. (salmon, couscous, and steamed broccoli).
Do you put them all in the coffee pot with your coffee at the same time? Sounds yummiest.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:48 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
We use ours a lot for quick lunches and desserts. We use ours over the stove as well as the campfire coals. They are always with us when we camp.

Sandy C
Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:35 AM   #15

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Do you put them all in the coffee pot with your coffee at the same time? Sounds yummiest.
Coffee Maker Cooking: Brew Up Your Next Dinner | KOSU Radio
Don't know how the coffee would taste after steaming broccoli in the coffee basket
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #16

Registry
There's a big problem with coffee makers and camping, trying to find the right kind of current bush. Maybe it just takes a very long extension cord. The RV resort users usually have an iron current pole and box.