Place to Perch While Visiting Portland, OR - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-04-2007, 10:24 AM   #21

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
If anyone wants to know when gasoline prices are going up, just ask me if I have a trip planned!

Quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. gasoline prices shot above $3.00 per gallon on Friday, within striking distance of record highs, as the creaking domestic refinery system strained to keep up with rising demand.
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:42 PM   #22

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
"We're planning on wandering up through Oregon next month and visiting Portland for a few days to see what's going on there, and would appreciate some recommendations on a nice place to park the Scamp and ourselves while there. Wal-Marts need not apply (this time!)."

Try Trousdale, ...... exit 17 off of I-84. Go East, through the village, down by the river. There's a nice RV park there, and a wonderfully quaint resturant just across the river.
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:18 PM   #23

Trailer: Summit Weekend Refuge
No visit to Portland is complete without a visit to Powell's bookstore. It has both new and used books and I can spend an entire day there easily. The downtown store is the one to visit (close to Burnett, I think) and a block away is their technical bookstore---where I spend way too much time when I am in Portland.

The traffic is awful! And I thought the drivers in the SF Bay Area where I spent the past thirty years were rude! Good grief! Portland is such a pretty city, its too bad that it has to be spoiled by impossible traffic. One of the problems is that there is always a river to cross.
Art Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:29 PM   #24

We lived south of San Francisco in the early '80s, before I think, things got really bad. Hopefully we will be able to park it and walk around and enjoy the city, and Powell's, without the need for too much driving. I may be wishing I still had our small Honda Element though!
Old 05-04-2007, 06:20 PM   #25

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I would second the Powell's idea. If you love books, there is nothing better. It's on Burnside, which is usually an easy drive (what's this I hear about bad traffic?).

OK, it's really bad just now, because there is a lot of construction. If that appeals to you, just try Sandy Boulevard. For a limited time only you can enter pavement hell.

For Powell's use the parking garage catty-corner from the Central Library and take the (free) streetcar down to Powell's. Only a few blocks.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:08 PM   #26

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
and a wonderfully quaint resturant just across the river.
It's called Tadds. It makes the quaint meter go off the scale. I eat there every Portland trip I do, and used to live "Round the Corner" from it in Springdale, so it was at least a once a week meal for me.

Try the smoked salmon fettuccine, and make sure to get a side of green beans.

They are most famous for Chick n Dump. (Yes, you read that right) They had an old neon sign up there, probably since the 40s, and the letters slowly burnt out. Now they leave it that way as a sort of landmark.

If you are into Chicken and Dumplings, this is the place! Right on the river, gorgeous old cabin style building with an only slightly more modern bar downstairs, also right on the river.

Ah, I have only heard about the bar.....

You may have to wait awhile to get a table at the weekends, but it's worth it.

This area was my back yard for decades.. now you have made me homesick.

Go to your room!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:29 AM   #27

[Homer] Hmmmmm....Chicken and Dumplings...Drool [/Homer]

Well, after an hour of searching I give up. Anyone got an address for Tadd's?
Old 05-05-2007, 11:19 AM   #28

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Address not needed. It's 2 or so miles off I-84 on the old Columbia River Hiway, take the first exit after you go over the Sandy River headed east on the 84. That is basically the "modern" hiways start. There are no other business there, so it will stand out like a sore thumb.

Tads Website

Do NOT go to the Tippy Canoe, unless you wear LOTS of leather and have friends named Bubba. It's passed Tadds aways. (Don't even know if it is still open, actually, it was shut the last few times I was there)

Since no trip to Northern Oregon would be complete without a Gorge trip that includes the Western Section of the Columbia River Hiway, you have no trouble finding it. It's on the right Parking in front, or in the lot across the street.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote