Planning a trip to Alaska - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #15

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
I'm hoping to do this trip sometime soon. I have several friends that do this journey and in addition to the Milepost guide they suggested carrying extra fuel. Fuel availability can be spotty. Winter comes on fast. It was 28 on the Kenai Peninsula a few days ago and it snowed at the Denali visitors center already. Insect repellant and insect proof clothing are on my personal "must have" list. I've spent some wonderful time in Alaska but never driven the Alaska highway. Some of my Alaska friends were offended when someone refers to the highway as the ALCAN highway. They prefer Alaska Highway. I don't know if that is still the way it is . It's been a long time since I've been there. Allow plenty of time.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:23 PM   #16

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
There is a short section of the "Alaska Highway" that is in Alaska ( as you can see from the map ).

Old 08-29-2015, 05:35 PM   #17

Name: Evelyn
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot B17-DLX
Oregon Coast
Registry
And yet one more response!

I follow a blog called "Gone With the Wynns" that I find incredibly informative about all things RVing. This young, responsible couple are full-timers, so they have lots of good advice not only for full-timers but part-timers as well. They're quite thorough in their research and advice, & they do not accept any payment for their recommendations on places to camp or products to buy. As we speak, they're on an Alaska trip with tips on places to seek out & places not to seek out. Of course, their recommendations are based on their interests and/or needs, but I learn something from each one of their posts, no matter the subject. Plus, I find myself agreeing with them most of the time. You might give a look here:
Alaska Bound
Word of caution: you may find, as I did, that what was meant to be a quick look-see turns into a 2-hour passage of time as you find more & more links to check out!

Most importantly, HAVE FUN & TAKE YOUR TIME. No-one should be in a hurry on such an incredible trip!
Old 08-29-2015, 05:46 PM   #18

Name: Moe
Trailer: In the market
Alaska
Nooooooo! The best wildlife viewing you will ever see is on the Alcan highway in northern BC and the Yukon. Bison, black bear and grizzleys, bighorn sheep, caribou, elk and more...
The wildlife sightings fall off significantly when you cross the border into Alaska.
I live in Anchorage, have also lived in Fairbanks, Cordova and Nome, and have driven every highway in the state (most of them many times). There is so much to see here. If you boondock, free camping spots abound here. I would be happy to help out with specific questions.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:58 PM   #19

Alaska
Oh... also, for reference... I purchased an 18ft Sunrader motorhome in Los Angeles for $3500, and it cost about $500 in fuel to get it back to Anchorage this past spring. I highly recommend the smaller toyota or nissan-bodied fiberglass motorhomes. They drive and park like a car, but very comfortable traveling and get about 20mpg.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:31 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
I've driven the Alcan between Alaska and California seven times now and will be doing trip number 8 in about 6 weeks. It's a long journey so more specific questions would likely get more helpful responses. Otherwise, one could write a book on the subject, which has already been done. It's called Mileposts. Just buy it. It's indispensable. ;-)
Old 08-31-2015, 12:09 PM   #21

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner2016
North Carolina
I'be been following this blog as they travel through Alaska and Canada. Plenty of stunning photography and detailed place descriptions to whet your appetite!
Island Girl Walkabout - Hector, Brenda and Angel on a journey of discovery
Old 08-31-2015, 06:49 PM   #22

Name: Carrie
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
We're going next summer too! We want to stop in Seattle and Vancouver, so we're going up via the Inside Passage/Alaska Marine Highway from Prince Rupert, and then home via the Alcan. The ferry is something else!
Old 09-01-2015, 06:06 PM   #23

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
We've made three trips from Michigan to Alaska and never felt even the slightest reason to carry extra fuel or extra tires. The only issues were a stone broken window in our camper and that happened in Montana. The other incident was when I backed into a retaining wall and damaged a camper jack. Neither of those had anything to do with travel conditions in or near Alaska.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:07 AM   #24

Alaska
Bringing fuel can be helpful on an Alcan trip. If you travel with limited hard cash, be aware that some remote stations have "unpredictable" credit/debit card services. There are also a few price-gougers on the road. Using Gasbuddy.com to plan your stops ahead of time and carrying an extra 5 gallons can literally save hundreds of $$. I recently re-routed my trip north to go through the interior states and provinces (Nevada, Utah, etc) rather than up the west coast. The price differences were dramatic, and the scenery was spectacular.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:51 AM   #25

Name: Becky
Trailer: Scamp 19 Foot 5th Wheel
Mississippi
Extra Tires

I also recommend that you have a couple of extra tires for a trailer. On one of our trips, we had a blowout about 30 miles from Soldatna. To make matters worse, our jack broke and we had to call Good Sam's Emergency Service to have someone come out and change it for us. We went back into Soldatna with the intention of getting two new tires for the trailer. We could not find any and had to wait three days for them to be delivered. We now travel with the spare and two extras for things like this situation. No, we do not travel with extra gas and as long as we topped off the tank as soon as we got near half, we had no problems. Yes, there were times when we did pay top dollar for the gas.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:53 AM   #26

Alaska
Tires are definitely a concern. Even Anchorage can be limited in its odd sizes. The Denali highway, the Taylor and the Haul road are especially rough. It is mainly these more 'rustic' highways that have occasional phone line and supply problems, although I did spend 2 nights in Delta Junction living on a stash of old beef jerkey and waiting for my bank to open due to just that problem. Alaska is unpredictable.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:20 PM   #27

Alaska
Also, in the last decade we've had several 'ol reliable' remote gas stations close, and several others have burned to the ground.

Cantwell and Chitina come to mind as more recent closures. They no longer have a gas station, although it may still show that they do on your maps.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
I carried a 2 1/2 gallon can of gas on the Alaskan Highway & the Cassier for the trip back & never needed it. The closest I came was on the Alaskan Highway is Canada - No electric utilities in the area, and the station's generator was down. Was down to a couple of gallons pulling into the next gas station.

Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote