Planning a trip to Alaska - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-02-2015, 12:55 PM   #29

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
My cousins do this trip about once a year, sometimes more, and have run in to closed stations and stations that were sold out of gas with the next truck not due for several days.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:15 PM   #30

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchick View Post
Cantwell and Chitina come to mind as more recent closures. They no longer have a gas station, although it may still show that they do on your maps.
There is a brand new Chevron station and foodmart in Cantwell.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:21 PM   #31

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
The gas situation depends on the time of year too. In the off-season (Sept through May) you will find fewer open gas options. I've driven it mostly in the off season, including the dead of winter, so I had a 46 gallon replacement tank installed in my Tundra, which is nearly double the original capacity.

But I still carry 5 gallons just in case. A station that was open in the spring may be closed when you arrive in the fall. It's best to be prepared. And trust me, if you run out of gas in the winter, you don't want to be standing outside trying to get gas in the tank from a 5-gallon can. If you think this process takes forever when it's warm outside, imagine how long it will seem when it's 20 below.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:03 PM   #32

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchick View Post
Also, in the last decade we've had several 'ol reliable' remote gas stations close, and several others have burned to the ground.

Cantwell and Chitina come to mind as more recent closures. They no longer have a gas station, although it may still show that they do on your maps.
I definitely saw this on my last trip on the Alcan (2014). I was on my motorcycle (Goldwing), pulling a small trailer behind it. So my range was somewhat limited. I passed so many gas stations that were closed, and had been closed for a long time. I had to sweat it a couple of times. And this was in July (prime season). Invariably, I would see a sign on the road, gas 2kms ahead, and feel relieved, only to come upon a station where the weeds were a foot high, place boarded up and abandoned. This was not the case on my prior trip up the Alcan (2005).

I also saw very little pay at the pump, past Fort Nelson, the only pay at the pump I saw was in Whitehorse.

Myself, I prefer to travel to Alaska in the summer, rather than the spring. Of course, snow on a motorcycle would be more challenging than with a car.

As far as tires, not much help along most of the Alcan. I needed replacement tires for my motorcycle trailer (poor planning on my part). Ended up finding them at the Walmart in Fairbanks, AK (second largest Walmart in the world, huge tire department).