Planning a trip to Alaska - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-28-2015, 08:37 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Planning a trip to Alaska

I'd like to visit Alaska, Spring 2016. Planning this trip seems intimidating. Can someone just give me a push in the right direction? I'd like to plan a route that covers a reasonable area.

Thanks
Martin B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:54 PM   #2

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Although I've taken a fabulous cruise to Alaska on Princess this is my first time planning a driving/camping trip. I, too, am having a hard time knowing where to start. Many folks swear by a book called "Mileposts". I do not have a copy yet but will get it soon. It is updated every year. I like the information on road trips on the National Geographic website, National Geographic: Images of Animals, Nature, and Cultures. There seem to be only 2 major roads in Alaska; one near the coast and one inland.

Will you tow your FGRV? Where do you live? How many days do you want your trip to be?

Although we have a FGRV we want to avoid the long ride TO Alaska and back. We live in California and want to rent a campervan and drive it one way from Anchorage or Fairbanks to Seattle, WA. RV rentals available seem to be on the large side. I haven't found any campervans yet.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:59 PM   #3

California
Registry
I've also seen the book "Alaskan Camping" by the Church's to be informative.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:19 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
We live in California and want to rent a campervan and drive it one way from Anchorage or Fairbanks to Seattle, WA. RV rentals available seem to be on the large side. I haven't found any campervans yet.
Ouch! That'll cost you. Not just the rental and gas, but the damage deductible, and the cleaning fee. I'd look into it very carefully.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:56 PM   #5

California
Registry
Glenn, thanks for the "heads-up". We've only begun our research.

Martin, here are the two classic road trip routes in Alaska, often made into a "loop".
  • The Alaska Highway provides the ultimate road trip from Alberta or British Columbia, Canada, through the Yukon to Alaska. The historic road was constructed during World War II.
  • The Seward Highway south from Anchorage to the port communities of Seward or Homer offers some of the most breathtaking scenery in the state and ample opportunities to view wildlife.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:22 AM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin B. View Post
I'd like to visit Alaska, Spring 2016. Planning this trip seems intimidating. Can someone just give me a push in the right direction? I'd like to plan a route that covers a reasonable area.

Thanks
You might want to take a look at this blog done by a fellow member of this forum.

Since they went from NY much of the trip though Canada might not apply to you. You can check the index of the entire trip to find the pages that interest you.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:13 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I'll second the Church book. Much more useful for me than the Milepost, which seems to be mostly ads for stops along the way. I used both, but preferred Church.

I'm the author of the blog mentioned in the previous post. Some friends in a Scamp & I made the trip, spending around a month in Canada & Alaska. A great trip. If you want to stay in Denali (and I think it was one of the highlights of the trip) be sure to make reservations as early as possible. While there were plenty of empty sites each day we were there in Teklanika Campground, all the campgrounds in the park were listed as full - no sites available. The advantage of Teklanika is you are already 29 miles into the park.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:37 AM   #8

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin B. View Post

Thanks
We hope to take the trip next year from GA, so we'll be tracking al the responses. ��
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:21 AM   #9

Name: Becky
Trailer: Scamp 19 Foot 5th Wheel
Mississippi
Good Sam's website, RV.Net:

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RVing in Canada and Alaska

will provide you with all the information you can possibly need. In the past 5 years, my husband and I made 3 trips to Alaska from Mississippi. The first one was with a 16 foot Scamp which we quickly realized was a bit small (mostly the bed) for us so after about 4 weeks in Alaska, we sold it and drove home by way of Backus, MN and picked up a 19 foot Scamp which we have taken to Alaska 2 times.

Yes, the Milepost is probably your best source for planning a trip. We had the Church book, but found that we rarely used it. Another thing that you need to do is contact the provinces through which you will travel and the state of Alaska a request travel information.

I am available to answer any questions that you might have, but if you go to the rv.net site and check the archives, you will find information on just about all things Alaska and the routes through Canada to Alaska. Our favorite town and surrounding area was Valdez. We also spent quite a bit of time in the Kenai and Seward area. I also highly recommend Hyder for the glaciers, bears and the Camp Run a Muck RV Park. BTW, the RV parks/campground will not be like what you might be used to in the lower states. Many times, they will simply be large gravel parking lots. Also, keep in mind Canada has some wonderful provinicial parks. We also really liked the Yukon territory parks. Lastly, be prepared for opportunities to boondock. Some of the camping places are right on the sides of the road.

This is an amazing trip, but it will take you much longer than you think. Some of the roads in Alaska are not so great and not only is it a huge state, but Canada is aloo really big. You will be stopping often to observe wildlife and other sights. So, whatever your mapping tools tell you about travel time, you can just ignore. Travel times on these sites are not accurate. There will be times when you will average 25-30 MPH due to road conditions or construction.

With the exception of Seward for July 4th week and Denali and Talkeetna at all times, you do need to make campground reservation. Even then, with the exception of Seward, you can usually snag something a week out.
beckyruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:24 AM   #10

Name: Gary & Jona
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II
Florida
My wife and I did the trip in 2012 and plan on again next year so we might run into to you all. I would say a must is to go and get the mile post and route yourself through Glacier NP throught the border crossing to do Banff NP, Canadian Ice Fields and Jasper NP really a high light of the trip, you can them take from Jasper north through the Yellowknife Hwy into Dawson Creek the beginning of the Alcan. The return trip i would be out of Alaska and northern BC by end of August since most of the campgrounds will be closing by Sept 1st. and we had 26 to 28 degree weather the end of August. On the return trip you can pick up the Cassiar Hwy to do the bear watching in Steward, Hyder etc. coming down into Washington state for maybe Olympic NP and drive the coast thru Oregon and into Crescent city for the Redwood NP, this is just scratching the surface. Alaska itself is just wonderful from Denali, fairbanks, Artic Circle, Anchorage, Steward,Homer, Valdez an on. The weather is up and down but never stops anyone from doing things it can be hot, cold, wet but always inspiring. Go enjoy and take lots of pictures you will love it. Thanks Gary
garyjona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Since they went from NY much of the trip though Canada might not apply to you. You can check the index of the entire trip to find the pages that interest you.
It is unfortunate that you have to travel through Canada to get to Alaska.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:46 AM   #12

Name: Becky
Trailer: Scamp 19 Foot 5th Wheel
Mississippi
Some of the most amazing wildlife and scenery is in BC and YT. Alaska is the destination for many, but the journey through Canada is amazing. Take your time and enjoy the journey.
beckyruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:22 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
It is unfortunate that you have to travel through Canada to get to Alaska.
NOW<> That is not a nice thing to say! what have you got against Canada?
Sure, the gas prices are higher, but you can't beat Tim Hortons for coffee and donuts. Besides, if Canada wasn't there, Alaska would probably belong to Siberia now.
We drove the Alcan in 2004. We joined a tour at Prince George BC operated by Adventure Caravans. They have a number of different tours, so you can find one that fits your plans. Ours was 50 days ending back in PG.
They do all the planning and pay for the campsites as a group. You even get a jacket and cap to wear.
The only downside for us FGRV folks, is they are mostly large motorhome and 5th wheel, or Class C motor home folks. But great people
Go, and enjoy!
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:43 AM   #14

Sarcasm.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 10.56.21 AM.png  
Old 08-29-2015, 12:00 PM   #15

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I'm hoping to do this trip sometime soon. I have several friends that do this journey and in addition to the Milepost guide they suggested carrying extra fuel. Fuel availability can be spotty. Winter comes on fast. It was 28 on the Kenai Peninsula a few days ago and it snowed at the Denali visitors center already. Insect repellant and insect proof clothing are on my personal "must have" list. I've spent some wonderful time in Alaska but never driven the Alaska highway. Some of my Alaska friends were offended when someone refers to the highway as the ALCAN highway. They prefer Alaska Highway. I don't know if that is still the way it is . It's been a long time since I've been there. Allow plenty of time.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:23 PM   #16

There is a short section of the "Alaska Highway" that is in Alaska ( as you can see from the map ).
Old 08-29-2015, 04:35 PM   #17

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
And yet one more response!

I follow a blog called "Gone With the Wynns" that I find incredibly informative about all things RVing. This young, responsible couple are full-timers, so they have lots of good advice not only for full-timers but part-timers as well. They're quite thorough in their research and advice, & they do not accept any payment for their recommendations on places to camp or products to buy. As we speak, they're on an Alaska trip with tips on places to seek out & places not to seek out. Of course, their recommendations are based on their interests and/or needs, but I learn something from each one of their posts, no matter the subject. Plus, I find myself agreeing with them most of the time. You might give a look here:
Alaska Bound
Word of caution: you may find, as I did, that what was meant to be a quick look-see turns into a 2-hour passage of time as you find more & more links to check out!

Most importantly, HAVE FUN & TAKE YOUR TIME. No-one should be in a hurry on such an incredible trip!
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:46 PM   #18

Name: Moe
Trailer: In the market
Alaska
Nooooooo! The best wildlife viewing you will ever see is on the Alcan highway in northern BC and the Yukon. Bison, black bear and grizzleys, bighorn sheep, caribou, elk and more...
The wildlife sightings fall off significantly when you cross the border into Alaska.
I live in Anchorage, have also lived in Fairbanks, Cordova and Nome, and have driven every highway in the state (most of them many times). There is so much to see here. If you boondock, free camping spots abound here. I would be happy to help out with specific questions.
Woodchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:58 PM   #19

Name: Moe
Trailer: In the market
Alaska
Oh... also, for reference... I purchased an 18ft Sunrader motorhome in Los Angeles for $3500, and it cost about $500 in fuel to get it back to Anchorage this past spring. I highly recommend the smaller toyota or nissan-bodied fiberglass motorhomes. They drive and park like a car, but very comfortable traveling and get about 20mpg.
Woodchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:31 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
I've driven the Alcan between Alaska and California seven times now and will be doing trip number 8 in about 6 weeks. It's a long journey so more specific questions would likely get more helpful responses. Otherwise, one could write a book on the subject, which has already been done. It's called Mileposts. Just buy it. It's indispensable. ;-)
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote