Planning on buying this 2015 Scamp Layout A, any red flags? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2017, 07:12 PM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Planning on buying this 2015 Scamp Layout A, any red flags?

Hello all,

I'm planning a trip to buy this 2015 Scamp Deluxe 16, Layout A, does anything look amiss with this?

Sometimes more eyes on something the better.
Thank you for any input.

https://spokane.craigslist.org/rvs/d...359312278.html
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #2

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I saw that ad and thought it looked very nice in the pictures. The deluxes don't come up often in this area.
The only things I noticed that I didn't care for were the large rear storage box, easily removed and the extra tail lights (good for safety) just didn't care for the apparent exterior wiring.
Good luck, let us know how you make out.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:23 PM   #3

California
Registry
Thank you for your thoughts kootenaigirl.
I agree with your observations.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:43 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Looks good Lisa. Wow, from no trailer to two in a few months ....but you did say you don't like to wait .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:10 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Not much to add. Price is good- I think they run over $20K new. The side bath is really small, but lots of storage and a useable galley in compensation. If the front dinette has the usual cupboard in the left front corner, the bed isn't long enough for an adult.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:47 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Lisa,

That looks like a very nice upgrade and could be a real keeper!
Be careful with putting anything heavy in that rear box for fear of making the trailer unstable.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:55 AM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Lisa, you will be amazed by how much more space this has compared to your 13. This layout has a small bath, so make sure that will work for you, but that is made up for in storage and bigger galley as pointed out by Jon. This one also has an oven. Like anything, options like that eat away from your available storage, but if the smell of fresh cinnamon rolls in the morning sounds appealing, it's a plus!

I'm a little leery of the external tail light wiring, but, that can be an easy fix. I'm not too crazy about that huge storage box either, because it would be tempting to try to fill it, but they are available in all sizes, and easily and inexpensively changed out. You may ask for a picture of the front dinette area and the bathroom. I'd be curious why they weren't included? Not trying to be negative at all, but you asked for any concerns. There are very few options this trailer doesn't have, and at a good price IMHO. It will probably go fast. Good luck!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:08 AM   #8

California
Registry
Thank you all for your replies. I tossed and turned all night wondering if this is the right move for me.
I'm going to (tongue in cheek) blame it on going to that Lake Casitas Rally, I think it gave me upgrade fever!

Should I go forward that black box is outta there. I'd either remove the spare brake lights or put some nice white molding over the wires.

I need to send my holding deposit when the bank opens today, so the pressure is on to decide.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:10 AM   #9

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
You may ask for a picture of the front dinette area and the bathroom. I'd be curious why they weren't included? Not trying to be negative at all, but you asked for any concerns. There are very few options this trailer doesn't have, and at a good price IMHO. It will probably go fast. Good luck!

Tom
Thank you Tom. She did send me photos of the bathroom, and she'll send photos of the dinette this morning. The photos will probably show up in the ad as well.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:26 AM   #10

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
Thank you Tom. She did send me photos of the bathroom, and she'll send photos of the dinette this morning. The photos will probably show up in the ad as well.
I can almost smell those cinnamon rolls... Have a great trip!

Tom
Old 10-27-2017, 06:54 AM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Nice

I like the whole rig nice layout good design I don't like that storage box but I suppose it could be taken off. I like the extra lights he has them due to his box I want to put some on my Stevie higher up but cant figure how to get the wiring under the ratfur.

Life would be good in that camper!!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:50 AM   #12

California
Registry
As much as I wanted to smell cinnamon rolls heating up in the Scamp oven, I did pass on the 16' deluxe just now.
The next in line is going to be getting some GREAT news this morning.

I may keep searching (it's always fun to look at ads anyway, so that won't be a burden), but I will focus on getting my 13' a bit more personalized.

The 12 volt issue I have was getting to me. I did go to professionals to have them try and diagnose it, but at $95+ per hour they were guessing at what could be causing it and charging me and not fixing it. I don't mind paying top dollar for good work, but I was beginning to feel taken advantage of, so a sparkling newer Scamp seemed like a winning proposition.

I'm going to start a new thread with the Scamp personalization of my 13'.
I still have a soft spot for the 13' length as it does do well with my tow vehicle which is already 22 feet.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:13 PM   #13

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
As much as I wanted to smell cinnamon rolls heating up in the Scamp oven, I did pass on the 16' deluxe just now.
The next in line is going to be getting some GREAT news this morning.

I may keep searching (it's always fun to look at ads anyway, so that won't be a burden), but I will focus on getting my 13' a bit more personalized.

The 12 volt issue I have was getting to me. I did go to professionals to have them try and diagnose it, but at $95+ per hour they were guessing at what could be causing it and charging me and not fixing it. I don't mind paying top dollar for good work, but I was beginning to feel taken advantage of, so a sparkling newer Scamp seemed like a winning proposition.

I'm going to start a new thread with the Scamp personalization of my 13'.
I still have a soft spot for the 13' length as it does do well with my tow vehicle which is already 22 feet.

Nothing wrong with that plan, Lisa. Take the time and experience you gain camping in your current trailer to find out what you really want, then go for it. The marketplace for these fiberglass encourages impulse buying. If you see one for sale remotely close to what you want; you buy it quickly before someone else gets it. It almost seems patience works against you.

You may find that the perfect trailer for you is the one you now own, especially after you customize it to your liking. If "Sparkling Newer" is what you seek; maybe it's time to put an order in to Scamp? I still recommend gaining experience camping in your's, going to rallies to see what others have, and reading this forum.

I hope you get your wiring fixed soon. Nothing takes the wind out of your sails like a problem you can't solve. I think you haven't found the right "expert" yet.

Best of luck! I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets a kick out of following your journey. Keep us all posted.

Tom
Old 10-27-2017, 01:09 PM   #14

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
You may find that the perfect trailer for you is the one you now own, especially after you customize it to your liking.
Tom
I really do love this little 13 footer. She is my first travel trailer, so she's sentimental already.
Thank you for the kind words.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:23 PM   #15

Missouri
funny

lisa I admire your fortitude and intitiated good for you!

you 13f looks sort of funny parked by that big rig wonder who is having the most fun?

bob
Old 10-27-2017, 01:32 PM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
LOL... that "big rig" is her tow vehicle. So I guess she's having the most fun either way! I had the pleasure of meeting Lisa at South Carlsbad State Beach last month, and she is every bit as cheerful, positive, and optimistic in person as in her posts. I will admit the big van pulling the small trailer is a little unexpected. When your house is so small, you need a big shed!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:01 PM   #17

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
So I guess she's having the most fun either way!
So true!
Old 10-27-2017, 03:52 PM   #18

Missouri
the big rig

well I had no idea she was such a big hitter?

bob
Old 10-28-2017, 11:03 AM   #19

Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Looks great, Lisa.
You may want to check the frame carefully or put it on a lift to make sure that box on the back wasn't full of rocks.
...Never mind, I see you passed.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:06 AM   #20

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Looks great, Lisa.

You may want to check the frame carefully or put it on a lift to make sure that box on the back wasn't full of rocks.

Someone else is the happy owner of that 16 deluxe now Tom. Hope I don't regret passing on it.
I decided to focus on my 13' standard and do some personalizing.

Tags
scamp