Planning our return trip from Rice - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-03-2009, 12:02 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Working on our travel plans.

On our way back from Rice we'll be spending a few days in the Grand Canyon. I want to take two days traveling from the Grand Canyon back to the Bay area. Anyone has a suggestion for a stop over at the half way point???
Anne3358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
There's not much I am interested in between Needles and Mojave.

There are four public and two private campgrounds in Tehachapi which is in the mountain range that defines the west side of the Mojave Desert.

The following websites have some information on the public sites; of these I prefer Tehachapi Mountain Park.

http://www.tehachapi.com/v-rv.php
http://www.indianhillranch.com/
http://www.co.kern.ca.us/parks/tehachapi.asp

Bear Valley Springs has three private campgrounds, but only two are open because Water Canyon is closed until Memorial Day. I can get you a visitor pass if you wish to stay here. I prefer the equestrian center campground without hook ups.

http://www.bvsrealty.com/bvsinfoguide.html

Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:49 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita
Quote:

On our way back from Rice we'll be spending a few days in the Grand Canyon. I want to take two days traveling from the Grand Canyon back to the Bay area. Anyone has a suggestion for a stop over at the half way point???
My choice would be to turn north at Flagstaff and go through marble Canyon and then on to the [b]North Rim of the Grand Canyon which is to me more viewable than than the south rim. And then on the first day of the drive home I would go through Zion National Park and on to Tonapah (area 51) and see if I could shag a space alien... maybe stay the night in Bishop, CA at the foot of the Sierras and the home of Sheepherders bread. Next day go Through Yosemite National Park to Modesto and home. This would be a good test of your rig as the Tioga pass road is steep and long.

These would both be long days of driving
but I would not pass on the chance.
It beats the heck out of visiting the south rim GC and the having to go home through Barstow and the San Joaquin IMO

[b]Editing per Crystal's input. I was thinking summer travel but she is right...Tioga pass remains closed into June sometimes. Arer you on the road now?
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:24 AM   #4

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
My choice would be to turn north at Flagstaff and go through marble Canyon and then on to the [b]North Rim of the Grand Canyon which is to me more viewable than than the south rim. And then on the first day of the drive home I would go through Zion National Park and on to Tonapah (area 51) and see if I could shag a space alien... maybe stay the night in Bishop, CA at the foot of the Sierras and the Home Sheepherders bread. Next day go Through Yosemite National Park to Modesto and home. This would be a good test of your rig as the Tioga pass road is steep and long.

These would both be long days of driving
but I would not pass on the chance.
It beats the heck out of visiting the south rim GC and the having to go home through Barstow and the San Joaquin IMO

Ron,

That sounds like great advice (and a good route), but the Tioga Pass may not be open until late May. I would suggest checking the road conditions before heading that way.

Smiles,
Crystal
Crystal B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
We've stopped at the Orange Grove a few times. It's just east of Bakersfield on the Hiway 58 to Mojave. May is probably too late for the oranges or the blossoms. The exit is 119 Edison Road, 8 miles east of 99. You can see it from the 58 hiway.

http://www.orangegrovervpark.com
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:

Hi - In the Refrigerator Fire thread (this forum) a couple of members mentioned this spot - Cibbets Flat in the Cleveland National Forest, a US Forest Service campground. I haven't been there but plan on checking it out when between San Diego and AZ. Google map it for exact location - May be too far south, though. Why don't you send them a PM for more info.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Come on up the 10 to Phoenix, and find the 60.. to Show Low.. go left on the 260 and come to the campground I am working at

Arizona High Country Campground

It would be a great stopping point and gives you a fresh start for the canyon the next day... just continue on up to the 40 [at] Holbrook and you are just a couple of hours away from it!

And I get a visitor :-P
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Hey Gina, is that your Burro on the Sites page of the campground ?

Bill K

Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:22 PM   #9

Registry
No... that's Nancy As'. She has since sold it.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #10

Registry
We plan to be blowing along I-40 around the 10th on our way to Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Los Alamos. Hope to see some molded fiberglass along the way!
Old 05-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #11

Quote:
There's not much I am interested in between Needles and Mojave.

There are four public and two private campgrounds in Tehachapi which is in the mountain range that defines the west side of the Mojave Desert.

The following websites have some information on the public sites; of these I prefer Tehachapi Mountain Park.

http://www.tehachapi.com/v-rv.php
http://www.indianhillranch.com/
http://www.co.kern.ca.us/parks/tehachapi.asp

Bear Valley Springs has three private campgrounds, but only two are open because Water Canyon is closed until Memorial Day. I can get you a visitor pass if you wish to stay here. I prefer the equestrian center campground without hook ups.

http://www.bvsrealty.com/bvsinfoguide.html
Thank you for all the links. It's very much appreciated. I bookmarked 'Indian Hill Ranch'. Like to see grass and trees when I camp. <g> ..... Indian Hill Ranch is 463 miles from Mather Campground, AZ so that's doable.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:55 PM   #12

I would go through Zion National Park

>>>>>>

We're planning a trip to Zion for September.

On our return trip we're going to be camping in Mather Campground which is located in the South Rim. I think .... our first trip to the Grand Canyon.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #13

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Quote:
We plan to be blowing along I-40 around the 10th on our way to Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Los Alamos. Hope to see some molded fiberglass along the way!
If you can, stop at Bandelier National Monument for a lunch hike in the canyon to see some wonderful cliff dwellings. It is practically "around the corner" from Los Alamos. One hundred years ago I dated a physicist who was working at Los Alamos and I used to hike the snow dusted canyons in the winter while he worked. It was spectacular! Some of the best rolls of film I ever took were at Bandelier. Happy trails!
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Hey Bob,

Bandelier is a great little park. I stopped by there a few years ago and hicked up through the dwellings. I stayed at Hyde SP just outside of Santa Fe.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Come on up the 10 to Phoenix, and find the 60.. to Show Low.. go left on the 260 and come to the campground I am working at

It would be a great stopping point and gives you a fresh start for the canyon the next day... just continue on up to the 40 [at] Holbrook and you are just a couple of hours away from it!

And I get a visitor :-P
Gina, thanks for the link. What is the weather like?

Old 05-03-2009, 11:20 PM   #16

Registry
it is quite pleasant right now. in the mid 70s during the day, light breeze, tho we get some gusts on occasion. Its spring and it can't decide WHAT it wants to do!
Old 05-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #17

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
I would go through Zion National Park

>>>>>>

We're planning a trip to Zion for September.

On our return trip we're going to be camping in Mather Campground which is located in the South Rim. I think .... our first trip to the Grand Canyon.
Ok Ok I can't talk you into the north rim Regardless, if this is your first visit ever to GCNP you will be incredibly awed and inspired. I feel happy for you and your family... all this in a new egg too! Whoa.

As for place to stay on your way back to the bay area I can tell you that I would avoid the SJ valley any time I had an option to drive the Sierra (probably because I lived in Fresno six years and commuted every week to Livermore and back... as well as a half dozen trips to LA).

It looks like the halfway mark on your trip home via 40/5 will put you in Barstow and I have no idea where to stay there. But if you would consider a different route go north from Kingman, through vegas, and then on to Tonapah or Bishop. Then next day over the Tioga, through Yosemite and home. I can give you many good places to stay if you choose that route. It would be about 50 miles further and take a little longer but the things to see!and people don't drive so fast!

Cheers and Good Egging

Ron

ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:23 AM   #18

Registry
Lisa H and Joy A,

You are right. Bandelier was spectacular. We ended up staying in Santa Fe four nights at a quiet, shady RV park on Cerrillos Road. It was called Trailer Ranch and is a 55+ resort. Then we buzzed up to Colorado Springs looking for cooler weather and checked out the Garden of the Gods. We returned to CA on the long, lonesome Hiway 50 and crossed Ebbetts Pass for the first time with the trailer.