Plastic RV's? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2016, 06:55 AM   #1

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Plastic RV's?

Are there any molded plastic RV's?
It seems to me that with all the space-age (or automotive) plastics out there that this would be a possibility.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:21 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
There were the old Apache hard side folding trailers. The folding panels are plastic.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1472304041.429110.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	99020

More recently there are (were?) the Teal Tail Feather trailer kits. It looks like the business is for sale.
Teal Tail Feather
Click image for larger version

Name:	Teal.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	99021
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:36 AM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post
Are there any molded plastic RV's?
It seems to me that with all the space-age (or automotive) plastics out there that this would be a possibility.

A company that makes fiberglass shells can produce their own molds and also put the cloth and resin into it.

A company that makes roto-molded shells will have to hire out both of those things as it takes a lot of specialized equipment. Unless they are a company that is already in the roto-mold business or has partnered with such a company the startup cost is a dauntingly considerable amount of capital. Even if they are in that business then it is still not going to be a low cost to produce the molds needed.

Then there is the design factor. You can produce a clean lined fiberglass trailer in a self supporting egg shape. The shapes of the structure needed to produce a self supporting roto-molded shell can create a considerable challenge to make the final result look pleasing to viewers.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:10 AM   #4

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Thanks k. That explains things well
Old 08-29-2016, 09:02 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I had seriously looked at the T@B before purchasing the Scamp. I noticed there seemed an awful lot of plastic trim on this T@B. In the forum, they were complaining about the ABS plastic trim cracking. The trim completely covers the outer edges and even has an ABS propane/battery box etc. That turned me away. They MAY be coming away from that...dunno. I'll stick with FG. ABS is just too prone to deteriorating with the sun's UV's.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:51 PM   #6

Name: Roger
Trailer: Trails West Campster andTeardrop American
California
Registry
Yes there are. I own an 88 Teardrop American Outback. Made in Wenatchee WA for only about a year or so. Something around 300 were actually made. Parts are virtually non-existant. the last source of body parts were destroyed in the fire around Chelan. they are rare but not of great quality.
Roger
rwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #7

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
A cautionary tale: Fleetwood/Coleman's use of ABS roofs on their pop-ups.

Coleman ABS Roof Story
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:31 AM   #8

Trailer: Hansvan Teardrop
one of the main issues with a rota moulded camper body is that polyethelyne will expand up to 2.5 % in extreme heat,making it almost impossible to achieve stability in the clearances needed in camping trailers.i speak from experience .
hans vanderschaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:56 AM   #9

Trailer: Teal Camper
Yes, my Tail Feather Camper kit business is for sale for several reasons. It is not for lack of interest in my campers. I have invested considerable time and resources in developing the design, tooling and supply chain of this product, leaving little for marketing and manufacturing. Plus I am approaching 70 years old and looking to retire so I can enjoy camping in my invention.

The cost of tooling up isn't much greater than fiberglass. The big difference is that the product can be manufactured one at a time. There must be some volume to make production feasible. The minimum is parts for about 25 campers. All the tooling is portable so it can be taken to any number of roto-molders and vacuum formers across the country.

The good news is that the campers are extremely light weight, well insulated and highly durable. Not to mention that the modularity of the camper makes customization easy, plus it can grow in size with the family.

If anyone has a serious interest in getting into this business, check out my Business Opportunity website at BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY
Larry Drake is offline   Reply With Quote